News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-75 in Cincinnati Closed Indefinitely due to Bridge Collapse

Started by cl94, January 20, 2015, 12:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Zeffy

Yikes, that looks bad. Is there any lead on what may have caused it to collapse?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Quote from: Zeffy on January 20, 2015, 12:18:33 AM
Yikes, that looks bad. Is there any lead on what may have caused it to collapse?
Apparently it was being removed as part of a construction project.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

I was in Cincinnati on Saturday night, and I heard on the radio that I-75 southbound had been closed right about there due to a crash, though a listener was reporting it was open at that time. Coincidence?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

Quote from: vtk on January 20, 2015, 02:49:41 AM
I was in Cincinnati on Saturday night, and I heard on the radio that I-75 southbound had been closed right about there due to a crash, though a listener was reporting it was open at that time. Coincidence?
Nope. Bengoatse.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

JMoses24

The bridge was being demolished as part of a project to improve the Hopple Street interchange. ODOT says they were expecting to be able to dismantle the bridge without a full closure of I-75. Obviously, something went horribly wrong. The commute this morning wasn't bad, thanks largely to communication efforts of local media and the authorities responsible.

GCrites

rickmastfan67

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/01/19/bridge-collapse-75-south/22031429/

QuoteUpdate: As of 10:15 p.m. Tuesday, all debris was removed from southbound I-75 at the site of the Hopple Street bridge collapse.

Cincinnati police opened all lanes on southbound I-75 and all eastbound I-74 lanes that merge onto I-75.

The Cincinnati Police Department partnered with the Ohio Department of Transportation to expedite the opening of the roadway.

ZLoth

It's nice to know that occurrences like this is exceedingly rare. After all, how many construction projects nationwide take place every year without incident?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

hbelkins

The mainstream media could not be more predictable. This was described as an accident involving a bridge that was already in the process of being demolished, yet last night on the CBS Evening News, there was a story about "Ohmygawd our infrastructure is falling apart!!!!!"

Reminiscent of the I-5 bridge being knocked down by an overheight vehicle, yet the media reaction was that our roads and bridges are crumbling and nothing short of doubling the gas tax will fix it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GCrites

Columbus news said it was going to be several days before it would be open again -- after it had already re-opened.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on January 21, 2015, 01:59:29 PM
The mainstream media could not be more predictable. This was described as an accident involving a bridge that was already in the process of being demolished, yet last night on the CBS Evening News, there was a story about "Ohmygawd our infrastructure is falling apart!!!!!"

Reminiscent of the I-5 bridge being knocked down by an overheight vehicle, yet the media reaction was that our roads and bridges are crumbling and nothing short of doubling the gas tax will fix it.

Why report what's there when you can embellish with shouting, screaming, and panic?  What's the fun in that?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PColumbus73

Quote from: Brandon on January 22, 2015, 09:57:27 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 21, 2015, 01:59:29 PM

Why report what's there when you can embellish with shouting, screaming, and panic?  What's the fun in that?

Throw some babies on that bridge, the media would pee themselves.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.