News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Improvements Planned for I-70 in SW PA

Started by PAHighways, August 02, 2011, 06:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: DBR96A on August 14, 2013, 05:28:35 AM
I-70 will be under (re)construction through the remainder of this decade, and all of it except for the segment between the Speers-Belle Vernon and Smithton High-Level Bridges will be reconstructed to current Interstate standards.

The two aforementioned bridges are bound to be replaced eventually, and upgrading the segment between them will more than likely happen in conjunction.

Does that also mean that the annoying breezewood gap will be fixed?

Fixed URL - rmf67

DBR96A

Breezewood would more than likely require a federal ultimatum because anytime the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission proposes doing anything about it, the local business owners pitch a fit.

rickmastfan67

I seem to recall we already had a thread about I-70 in this area.  I'll look around for it and merge them in a bit.

EDIT: Done.

briantroutman

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 14, 2013, 08:41:15 AM
Does that also mean that the annoying breezewood gap will be fixed?

The Breezewood interchange isn't included in any of the work areas described by those project pages. Those work areas cover the portion of I-70 west of the PA Turnpike interchange in New Stanton. Breezewood is about 100 miles east of there.

If you're unfamiliar with that area, I-70 between New Stanton and Washington is about as outdated and under-designed as PA "expressways" get. Despite the mess caused by the lack of a direct connection in Breezewood, both the Turnpike itself and the I-70 from US 30 south to the Maryland line are respectably modern by comparison.

Mr_Northside

I-70 will be under (re)construction through the remainder of this decade, and all of it except for the segment between the Speers-Belle Vernon and Smithton High-Level Bridges will be reconstructed to current Interstate standards.

The two aforementioned bridges are bound to be replaced eventually, and upgrading the segment between them will more than likely happen in conjunction.

I don't know if the reconstruction will result in it conforming totally to interstate standards.  The median will still be really narrow.  They've already reconstructed the road from the Smithton Bridge to just east of the Smithton exit  (So RoadWarrior56 has already experienced some of it, though it is a short stretch.).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Smithton,+PA&hl=en&ll=40.168228,-79.732735&spn=0.001263,0.002792&sll=37.364564,-79.135036&sspn=0.083498,0.178699&t=h&gl=us&hnear=Smithton,+Westmoreland,+Pennsylvania&z=19
Google Satellite view is new enough that you can see it done.  And - as of now- the StreetView of the EB lanes is pre-construction (and you can get a feel for the original interchange configuration; twas mostly a diamond.), and the WB lanes are with construction mostly done.  The Left Lane line isn't right against the barrier anymore, but it's not that much room. (enough for drainage grates).
The major improvements are/will be the interchanges themselves, and the acceleration/deceleration lanes.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

silverback1065

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 15, 2013, 04:32:21 PM

I don't know if the reconstruction will result in it conforming totally to interstate standards.  The median will still be really narrow.  They've already reconstructed the road from the Smithton Bridge to just east of the Smithton exit  (So RoadWarrior56 has already experienced some of it, though it is a short stretch.).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Smithton,+PA&hl=en&ll=40.168228,-79.732735&spn=0.001263,0.002792&sll=37.364564,-79.135036&sspn=0.083498,0.178699&t=h&gl=us&hnear=Smithton,+Westmoreland,+Pennsylvania&z=19
Google Satellite view is new enough that you can see it done.  And - as of now- the StreetView of the EB lanes is pre-construction (and you can get a feel for the original interchange configuration; twas mostly a diamond.), and the WB lanes are with construction mostly done.  The Left Lane line isn't right against the barrier anymore, but it's not that much room. (enough for drainage grates).
The major improvements are/will be the interchanges themselves, and the acceleration/deceleration lanes.

Why is pennsylvania allowed to get away with this? having essentially fake interstates, if it isn't up to code, it isn't an interstate! 

NE2

You'll have to go back in time and kill it, because it was approved in the 1950s.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DBR96A

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 15, 2013, 04:32:21 PMI don't know if the reconstruction will result in it conforming totally to interstate standards.  The median will still be really narrow.  They've already reconstructed the road from the Smithton Bridge to just east of the Smithton exit  (So RoadWarrior56 has already experienced some of it, though it is a short stretch.).

That segment you've highlighted does conform to Interstate standards. Four-lane Interstates are only required to have 4' paved shoulders between the inner lanes and the median, whether it's a grass strip or a concrete barrier. It's when Interstates are six lanes or more that they're required to have 12' paved interior shoulders.

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 15, 2013, 09:03:43 PMWhy is pennsylvania allowed to get away with this? having essentially fake interstates, if it isn't up to code, it isn't an interstate!

They're "getting away" with nothing; the segment illustrated conforms to Interstate standards. And the reason Pennsylvania has some functionally obsolete highways signed as Interstates is because the federal government grandfathered them in. Pennsylvania started building many of its highways before Dwight Eisenhower even became president, let alone enacted the Interstate Highway System.

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be a pioneer.

Gnutella

The I-70 construction project website was updated about a month ago, and it appears that a reconstruction and widening project on the I-70/I-79 multiplex between the "north junction" (Exit 18) and Beau Street (Exit 20) is imminent. This is part of a more comprehensive list of improvements to I-70 in western Pennsylvania.

Right of way acquisition and final design are underway, and it seems they're expecting construction to commence later this year (2014). It involves a total reconstruction of the highway, widening it to six lanes in the process. It also involves widening the north junction ramp for I-79 northbound to two lanes.

Already, work is underway on converting the Murtland Avenue interchange (Exit 19) to the first "diverging diamond" in Pennsylvania, and a new flyover for I-79 northbound at the "south junction" is now open. Widening for I-70/I-79 between Beau Street and the south junction is expected to begin in 2016.

JawnwoodS96

Glad that US-19 is finally getting resurfaced in the North Hills, it's greatly needed.

The traffic between I-79 and PA-136 on I-70 is pretty bogged at times, so this reconstruction is welcomed.

The resurfacing of the Parkway West and PA-50 are also nice (Seriously, PA-50 is atrocious in South Fayette).

I'm pleased that they're adding more lanes to US-19 in Cranberry, but PA-228 is the road that really needs widening in Butler County (Mostly in Seven Fields and Adams Township, the Cranberry portion is being widened and so is the Mars portion).
Major interstates driven: i64, i264(VA), i66, i68, i70, i270(DC & OH), i71, i74, i75, i275 (Cin), i76, i376, i476, i77, i79, i279, i579, i80, i480 (OH), i81, i83, i283, i85, i185(GA), i285, i485, i90, i95, i295(VA & NJ), i495, i695(MD), i99

Go Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins!

rickmastfan67

We do have a thread already on the I-70 'upgrades', so let's try to keep that part in that thread since it's already 3 pages long. :wave:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5062.0

ARMOURERERIC

I saw the map and illustrations of the new Murtland Ave exit, I was surprised at how they really spread out the ramps to occupy the whole ROW along 19.

rickmastfan67

LOL, PennDOT thinks that PA Turnpike 43 is an Interstate.  Too bad I-43 is in WI.

http://www.i-70projects.com/about.html

QuoteThis stretch of I-70 connects with three other Pennsylvania Interstate routes: I-79, I-43 (PA Turnpike Extension) and I-76 (PA Turnpike Mainline) and West Virginia's I-70.

rickmastfan67

New video is out talking about the DDI @ US-19.

J N Winkler

Bit of a change of subject, but the latest installment of I-70 reconstruction in District 12 (ECMS 87236) includes a DDI at US 19/Murtland Avenue.  Is this Pennsylvania's first DDI?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cl94

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 09, 2014, 04:58:55 PM
Bit of a change of subject, but the latest installment of I-70 reconstruction in District 12 (ECMS 87236) includes a DDI at US 19/Murtland Avenue.  Is this Pennsylvania's first DDI?

It is. http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20140410/NEWS01/140419933#.U-aVZmOZD5c
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 09, 2014, 04:58:55 PM

So I take it that bids were opened as scheduled on Thursday?

J N Winkler

Yup--Thursday, August 7.  ECMS quotes a low bid amount of about $54 million (estimate range was given as $45 million-$50 million).  The contract includes 8,620 square feet of sign panel, but unfortunately none of the signing plans are pattern-accurate.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 09, 2014, 07:36:59 PM
Yup--Thursday, August 7.  ECMS quotes a low bid amount of about $54 million (estimate range was given as $45 million-$50 million).  The contract includes 8,620 square feet of sign panel, but unfortunately none of the signing plans are pattern-accurate.

It's been a long time since I lived in PA and for months I thought this was to rebuild 70 for 79N WEST to PA 18, as opposed to EAST to PA 136, I was quite confused.  Now is their a contract on the horizon that will connect this work to at least the new 79N to 70W flyover?  I could not really tell form the PennDOT dist 12 website.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 09, 2014, 08:07:15 PM
It's been a long time since I lived in PA and for months I thought this was to rebuild 70 for 79N WEST to PA 18, as opposed to EAST to PA 136, I was quite confused.  Now is their a contract on the horizon that will connect this work to at least the new 79N to 70W flyover?  I could not really tell form the PennDOT dist 12 website.

The I-79 NB > I-70 WB flyover is already built and now open to traffic. ;)

ARMOURERERIC

I am aware the ramp is open, I was wondering about upgrading 70 between the new flyovers merge onto 70 and the contract just awarded on Thursday so that all of the 70/79 concurrency would have 6 lanes.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 09, 2014, 08:29:33 PM
I am aware the ramp is open, I was wondering about upgrading 70 between the new flyovers merge onto 70 and the contract just awarded on Thursday so that all of the 70/79 concurrency would have 6 lanes.

I can't read tonight. lol.  Just ignore my post above. lol.

cl94

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 09, 2014, 08:07:15 PM

Likely. There's a project schedule giving a projected start date of 2016-17 for the widening. Contract is not on their page.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Gnutella

When I was in Pittsburgh back in June, I noticed that District 11 is indeed better than District 12 when it comes to pattern-accurate signs. Honestly, I think District 11 is probably the best in Pennsylvania at signage.

One thing District 12 does that I'm a big fan of, though, is posting small extended-panel signs for every city, borough and township a highway passes through, instead of just the counties. I think this should become statewide practice, honestly.

By the way, where can I look up the sign patterns for this project and others? Just curious.

ARMOURERERIC

I am looking at the few examples I can find of the reconstructed cross section of 70 after the full rebuild.  It looks like the inside shoulders will still be below I standard and if so,  I wondered why when we are only talking about an additional 16-18 feet in a rural area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.