News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Cabot Trail (NS30) In Winter

Started by ghYHZ, January 26, 2013, 01:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

Nova Scotia's Cabot Trail is a nice summer drive.........

But in winter.......you get a whole different perspective.

We were working in northern Cape Breton last Thursday (which turned out to be the coldest day of the year so far with wind-chills in the range of -30C (-22F) and instead of a straight drive home down the east coast of the island......we decided to do the Trail.

Waiting for the Englishtown Ferry.

There were no flashing lights near Big Intervale indicating road closures so we continued on up over North Mountain.

ghYHZ

Doing the Tourist thing at one of the Looksoffs on French Mountain.

.......then down along the west coast of the island.

Alps

Beautiful! I'm glad they didn't let an inch of snow close the road.

ghYHZ

Quote from: Steve on January 26, 2013, 01:27:17 PM

Very seldom would snow alone close a road here.......it's the winds and white-out conditions.

Parks Canada (Federal) maintains the roads through the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

xcellntbuy

vdeane

Quote from: Steve on January 26, 2013, 01:27:17 PM
Hey, it's Canada, not North Carolina!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jemacedo9

1995hoo

Fabulous pictures. I've been around that road twice during the summer (in 1982 and in 2008), but I doubt I'll ever get there in winter, especially since I don't buy winter tires since they're not really needed in the DC area. So I appreciate you letting me visit vicariously.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webfil

I am surprised by the apparent little amount of abrasive on the roadway. It does not look like much sand is used.

ghYHZ

Quote from: webfil on January 27, 2013, 10:34:28 PM
I am surprised by the apparent little amount of abrasive on the roadway. It does not look like much sand is used.

Mostly salt is used.......here's TCH104 on the mainland later that afternoon:

Dougtone

Once again, thank you for your photos and perspectives from the Maritimes.

Of course, the Cabot Trail is a nice (and quiet) fall drive as well, as seen in my Cabot Trail photos I took this past fall (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/sets/72157631798061520/).  I'd imagine that the Cabot Trail is a lonely road in the winter.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.