News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Your first clinch?

Started by CapeCodder, July 17, 2016, 07:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

As a passenger

Interstate: I-280 in Toledo, OH

US Route: If business routes count, Business US-70 and Business US-117, both in Goldsboro, NC

State Route: Jackshit

As a driver

Interstate: I-795 in NC (the freeway was initially signed as US-117 when I drove it for the first time in 2006. Drove it many times since it became I-795. I was living in Fremont at the time, so clinching it was easy peasy  :bigass: )

US Route: Business US-117 and Business US-70, both in Goldsboro, NC (I can't remember which one I clinched first, but they're near each other.)

State Route: Former NC-44 (now signed US-70 Bypass) in Goldsboro, NC (clinched in 2013 while it was only open from I-795 to Wayne Memorial Drive sooo....success!  :awesomeface:)
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

corco

Just counting as a driver, since who the hell knows what I did as a passenger

State: Washington 163
2dus.: U.S. 730
3dus: U.S. 16
2di: I-82
3di: I-184

hbelkins

Either KY 498 (Lee County) or KY 1571 (Estill County), one of them most likely as a newborn on my way back home from being born in a Lexington hospital. Depends on what route my dad used driving back home from Lexington.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

national highway 1

In New South Wales:
A28 was the first route I clinched.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

roadman

As a passenger with my dad in 1971, my first clinched state route was MA Route 128.  Shortly thereafter, my first clinched Interstate route was I-93 in Massachusetts - this was before it was extended through Boston down to Canton.

As a driver, my first clinched state route (in 1979 just after I got my license) was MA Route 107 , and my first clinched Interstate route (in 1983) was I-90/MassPike from Boston to West Stockbridge - was on a trip with my parents, and I had driving duty for the first leg to Albany.

Since that time, largely due to my work, I have managed to clinch every Interstate and freeway in Massachusetts - including every exit and entrance ramp.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Rothman

Mountain Parkway in Kentucky.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TravelingBethelite

1st I-clinch: Interstate 84 (E)-no later than 2008.
1st I-clinch by own direction (I.e. told parent where to go): Interstate 68
1st US clinch: Zippo. Zilch. Nada.
1st state route clinch: CT 302
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on July 19, 2016, 10:12:45 AM

Did your age just jump from 15 to 16?  If that's the case grab the car and go clinch a route to celebrate...assuming you have your license.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 19, 2016, 10:16:32 AM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on July 19, 2016, 10:12:45 AM

Did your age just jump from 15 to 16?  If that's the case grab the car and go clinch a route to celebrate...assuming you have your license.
I will be getting my permit on August 6...so I'm excited!  :)
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Takumi

Can't remember offhand anything as a passenger. I know for sure I have no US or 2-digit interstate clinches. As a driver:
Interstate: I-295 (VA)
State: VA/NC 168
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

If we're limiting it to two-digit Interstates, then I think as a passenger it would be I-66 and as a driver, surprisingly to me, I think it'd be I-85.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cl94

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 19, 2016, 03:50:04 PM
If we're limiting it to two-digit Interstates, then I think as a passenger it would be I-66 and as a driver, surprisingly to me, I think it'd be I-85.

For 2DIs, probably I-88 in New York, both as a passenger and a driver (over a decade later). Very easy 2DI clinch because there is nothing between the endpoints.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hotdogPi

Quote from: cl94 on July 19, 2016, 03:54:19 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 19, 2016, 03:50:04 PM

For 2DIs, probably I-88 in New York, both as a passenger and a driver (over a decade later). Very easy 2DI clinch because there is nothing between the endpoints.

It's also the only 2di that I've clinched.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

DJDBVT

I-93 (MA, NH, VT) / I-495 (MA)
US 4 (NY, MA, NH)
MA/VT 142

Roadsguy

So far with my learner's permit, I've fully clinched two routes, though I'm not sure which is my first: PA 581 and PA 343. Arguably I didn't truly clinch 581 because I got off and back on at US 11 in Mechanicsburg. The 343 clinch was also in two parts: most of it from Maple St. north, and the last little piece on Maple St.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

TheHighwayMan3561

Solely as driver:

2di: Eastern I-88
3di: I-277 (OH)
US: 61
State: MN 101 (Rogers-Elk River)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

First 2di's a tough one.  I really doubt it was I-84; I don't think I ever was on the section east of I-91 when I-86 was still around in CT.  Even when I-86 became I-84, it wasn't until much later that I drove the old I-86 section, since I never had a reason to given where I lived.

Best guess is I-91.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dgolub

My first clinch was almost undoubtedly NY 101, probably dating back to before I could even talk.  It's only a few miles long and leads into the town where I grew up.  My first county route clinch was Nassau CR 15, which is also in the town where I grew up, although I didn't know its designation until senior year of high school because Nassau County doesn't sign county route numbers and doesn't like to even admit that they exist.  My first interstate clinch was probably the Throgs Neck Expressway (I-695), which you clinch if you're approaching the Throgs Neck Bridge (I-295) from the north.  My first and only two-digit interstate clinch so far is I-84.  No US routes yet, unless I'm missing something.

slorydn1

If limited to 2di then first clinch would be eastern I-76 (as a baby).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Walleye2013

My first clinch while driving was Interstate 480N, which was during my first driving on a freeway. If we count signed routes, it would be Interstate 271. The first I clinched in one go was Interstate 290 in Massachusetts.

mefailenglish

As a driver:
2DI:  I-97
3DI:  I-695 (Baltimore)
US:  340
State Route:  MD 404, three weeks after I got my license

cpzilliacus

Riding (pre-licensed age), probably I-70S (now I-270) in Maryland.

Driving, probably I-495 in Maryland, Virginia and a tiny slice of the District of Columbia.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Avalanchez71

Her name was Stephanie.

PHLBOS

MA 22 (by bike)

MA 25 (as a passenger), prior to it being extended east to the Bourne Bridge and taken over by I-495 (between MA 24 & I-195).

MA 128 (as a driver, including I-93 & 95 sections)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

paulthemapguy

First accidental clinch might have been I-190 (Illinois), which is a glorified driveway.  Or Illinois 126.
First intentional clinch was Illinois 21, just two months ago  :spin:
The first 2di I've ridden the entirety of was probably I-76 (Colorado) when I was 12.  The first 2di I clinched with myself behind the wheel was either I-88 (Illinois) or I-57.  I don't think I've clinched any US routes yet, but I plan on clinching my first when I drive down to the Gulf Coast within the next 2 months (US43).
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.