News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How long until the Illinois Tollway goes completely cashless?

Started by I-39, July 23, 2016, 09:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

It seems all new projects are being constructed as ETC-only, so how long until ISTHA goes completely cashless?

dvferyance

Quote from: I-39 on July 23, 2016, 09:22:36 PM
It seems all new projects are being constructed as ETC-only, so how long until ISTHA goes completely cashless?
Hopefully never if you don't want to stop then just get I Pass. The recently reconstructed the Belvidere exit on I-90 which does accept cash so it's not completely true that every new project is completely cashless.

Revive 755

Generally it's only projects that add new ramps or highways that are I-Pass only.  For projects modifying existing interchanges such as I-90 at Genoa Road, I-90 at Barrington Road, and I-90 at Roselle Road they will usually have a cash option for the existing ramps (including those ramps that were previously untolled), but any new ramps being added will be I-Pass only. 

Stratuscaster

Since you can pay online at the cash rate, there's really no reason to continue to offer the cash option.

Granted you'll put all the people manning the cash booths out of work.

quickshade

Honestly I would not be shocked if within the next 5-10 years the I-Pass device itself become optional with mobile phones having an app and system in place. California already has no cash booths and everything is done online.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: quickshade on July 24, 2016, 10:28:35 AM
Honestly I would not be shocked if within the next 5-10 years the I-Pass device itself become optional with mobile phones having an app and system in place. California already has no cash booths and everything is done online.

They already are doing testing of phone apps I believe. For example, there is a testing area just North of the Touhy Avenue Toll Plaza on I-294.

dvferyance

Quote from: Stratuscaster on July 23, 2016, 10:53:44 PM
Since you can pay online at the cash rate, there's really no reason to continue to offer the cash option.

You would be surprised at how many people still don't have computers.

Revive 755

California already has no cash booths and everything is done online.

I'm only seeing the Golden Gate Bridge listed with 'pay by plate' for the Bay Area:  http://mtc.ca.gov/getting-around/#geary-section-7

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 24, 2016, 11:19:03 AM
They already are doing testing of phone apps I believe. For example, there is a testing area just North of the Touhy Avenue Toll Plaza on I-294.

I recall hearing or reading somewhere that those gantries (Streetview) were for testing transponder interoperability (though they could probably be used for both phone and transponder testing).

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 23, 2016, 10:21:45 PM
Generally it's only projects that add new ramps or highways that are I-Pass only.  For projects modifying existing interchanges such as I-90 at Genoa Road, I-90 at Barrington Road, and I-90 at Roselle Road they will usually have a cash option for the existing ramps (including those ramps that were previously untolled), but any new ramps being added will be I-Pass only.

That's because a cash option already existed on those ramps (or in the case of Genoa Road, no tolls previously existed, and an I-PASS only option there would require cash drivers to go way out of the way to exit). If no ramps had existed on those overpasses, then they'd be constructed as I-PASS only. In fact, I believe the new EB exit and WB entrance ramps at Barrington Road will be I-PASS only.

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on July 24, 2016, 03:38:25 PM
That's because a cash option already existed on those ramps (or in the case of Genoa Road, no tolls previously existed, and an I-PASS only option there would require cash drivers to go way out of the way to exit). If no ramps had existed on those overpasses, then they'd be constructed as I-PASS only. In fact, I believe the new EB exit and WB entrance ramps at Barrington Road will be I-PASS only.

The new ramps to/from the west at Barrington will be I-Pass only.  But if ISTHA was going to be completely cashless in the next couple of years, they would most likely not be keeping a cash lane for the westbound exit, nor including a cash lane with the toll plaza to be added for the EB entrance.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 24, 2016, 08:22:30 PM
Quote from: I-39 on July 24, 2016, 03:38:25 PM

The new ramps to/from the west at Barrington will be I-Pass only.  But if ISTHA was going to be completely cashless in the next couple of years, they would most likely not be keeping a cash lane for the westbound exit, nor including a cash lane with the toll plaza to be added for the EB entrance.

With the new tolls on free ramps will they de toll the IL-53 / I-290 exit? some kind of virtual ticket system (etc only with discounts?)

quickshade

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 24, 2016, 01:06:09 PM
California already has no cash booths and everything is done online.

I'm only seeing the Golden Gate Bridge listed with 'pay by plate' for the Bay Area:  http://mtc.ca.gov/getting-around/#geary-section-7

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 24, 2016, 11:19:03 AM

I recall hearing or reading somewhere that those gantries (Streetview) were for testing transponder interoperability (though they could probably be used for both phone and transponder testing).

Looking it up there are a few that are still allowing cash but it seems they are phasing them out. I found this:

QuoteAs of 2014, the following toll roads are fully automated and do not accept cash payments:

San Francisco Bay Area: Golden Gate Bridge (south-bound)
Southern California: SR 73, 133, 241 & 261 (Orange County), SR 125 (San Diego County - exact change or credit card OK),

Which explains why I didn't pay pass any toll booths when I was there last summer.

Mdcastle

If I'm driving around Chicago for a day I"m supposed to remember every toll point I passed?

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Mdcastle on July 25, 2016, 12:53:49 PM

If I'm driving around Chicago for a day I"m supposed to remember every toll point I passed?

What about being like some other ETC roads bill you later with cash rate + an small admin fee. Monthly

SSOWorld

Quote from: Mdcastle on July 25, 2016, 12:53:49 PM

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

invincor

How do / will these work for drivers from out-of-state, who don't have I-PASS systems?   

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: invincor on July 26, 2016, 08:54:16 AM
How do / will these work for drivers from out-of-state, who don't have I-PASS systems?   

What's supposed to happen is the toll authority gets a picture of your plates, and then either through an agreement with your state's DOT or (usually) through a third party that works with your state's DOT they will mail you a bill. But there have been a lot of holes in this method particularly when the out of state driver is from farther away; the Dallas area toll network has lost millions on out of state drivers they have been unable to reach. The NTTA recently reached reciprocity agreements with Oklahoma and Louisiana to bill those drivers more easily.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

dvferyance

What's the big deal about going cashless? If you don't want to pay cash just get I Pass. Who cares what the other motorist do.

captkirk_4

How about someone from Nebraska or Wyoming driving east on I-80. Are they supposed to research and apply for every single "pass" like they are getting Visas and inoculations for international travel? When I came back from Yellowstone and went across Kansas, the last few miles of I-70 ended up being tolled, I just handed someone in a booth a few bucks. A whole lot easier that if I would have to have gone to some website (and hoped it was the legitimate one and not some Russian scam mirror site) and filled out endless forms, CC numbers, and waited for some gadget to show up in the mail. These booths pull in hundreds of dollars an hour and lots of people need jobs since they shipped our industrial base off to Red China, I don't see why having cash booths is such a horrible thing other than the big brother people want to abolish cash to control you.

kphoger

Quote from: captkirk_4 on July 28, 2016, 08:58:34 AM
How about someone from Nebraska or Wyoming driving east on I-80. Are they supposed to research and apply for every single "pass" like they are getting Visas and inoculations for international travel?

This.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

The Ghostbuster

All the toll roads in the world will likely eventually go completely cashless. (Hopefully!)

TheHighwayMan3561

As a resident of a state with no formal toll roads, I voiced the same irritation and was basically told by several east coasters to STFU and buy a pass. Meh. I'd rather pay my toll on site and be done rather than waste time trying to pay them online later or waiting for bills that will take a very long time to arrive in my mailbox if their system is inadequate.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

GeekJedi

Yeah, it was a pain for me last week in Texas. I was planning my drive back and noticed that the George Bush and North Dallas Turnpikes both are ETC only. You can let them charge by plate, but I had a rental. You can pre-pay, but then you have to *call* them during business hours to set it up. The worst system on the planet!

"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

quickshade

This is why a phone system is important. If you could pay all your tolls via an app on your phone it would be much easier.

dvferyance

I still would like to know why this is so important? As long as you have I Pass you never have to stop. Why is it any of your concern whether they guy behind you in front of you or next to you doesn't and has to stop to pay a toll?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.