News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pedestrian bridge collapses on M-39/Southfield Freeway

Started by TheStranger, September 26, 2014, 07:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

catch22

thenetwork

MDOT is breathing a heavy sigh of relief that the Jeffries Freeway/I-96 opened up earlier this week instead of later in October as originally thought.  I-96 will be helpful for some from getting to the Dearborn Southfield area to the Novi Romulus/Metro Airport Area.

Just realized the closure was south of I-96

Zeffy

Jeez, that looks like a mess. Unfortunately, the driver died as a result from not wearing his seatbelt... I read that the truck had a "boom" on it's roof that caused it to collide with the bridge - what exactly is a boom when referring to trucks?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Zeffy on September 26, 2014, 04:03:16 PM
Jeez, that looks like a mess. Unfortunately, the driver died as a result from not wearing his seatbelt... I read that the truck had a "boom" on it's roof that caused it to collide with the bridge - what exactly is a boom when referring to trucks?

Simply something similar to this.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=truck%20boom

catch22

Quote from: Zeffy on September 26, 2014, 04:03:16 PM

This is a link to a YouTube video from the company that owns the truck.  It has views of a similar truck ... imagine the platform of that truck in the full "up" position (minus the Dumpster) and you can see how hitting the bridge would end badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMIapahLkcw

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.