News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Not so fast,

First, it appears that there is no approval to build the five miles of highway that would link I-95 and US 501 via I-73.  (Which is what SC originally asked for in TIGER grants).  If that is the case, then it's just for an interchange to nowhere at this point.

Second, there are a few more steps to clear before dirt will fly.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/04/22/2116499/some-money-approved-for-interstate.html#storylink=misearch

"However, the funding still must clear several more hurdles before it becomes final. First, it must gain approval from the state's Joint Bond Review Committee and then it must be approved by the state's Budget and Control Board"

Grzrd

Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 27, 2011, 01:48:47 PM
there are a few more steps to clear before dirt will fly.
http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/04/22/2116499/some-money-approved-for-interstate.html#storylink=misearch
"However, the funding still must clear several more hurdles before it becomes final. First, it must gain approval from the state's Joint Bond Review Committee and then it must be approved by the state's Budget and Control Board"
The I-73 project is one of several that SCDOT has approved in anticipation of the joint bond issue, and SCDOT is soliciting comments on these projects until May 26:

http://www.scdot.org/inside/public_comment_statewide_interstate.shtml

Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 27, 2011, 01:48:47 PM
it appears that there is no approval to build the five miles of highway that would link I-95 and US 501 via I-73.
Here is SCDOT's pdf of the project, which indicates that I-73 would tie into US 501:

http://www.scdot.org/inside/pdfs/public_comment_dillon_county.pdf

The pdf indicates that the project would need an additional $80.5 million in earmarks to meet its total $185.5 million price tag.

CanesFan27

Correct.  So more accurately - SCDOT started the financing process for the I-95 to US 501 segment, which basically serves as a true freeway alternate to the four lane SC 38 connection from I-95 to US 501.  They may only need $70.5 million as a result of the $10 million grant which is being used for items on the fringes of the overall 5.7 mile project's boundaries.

Even with the likely bond approvals, it will be an interchange to nowhere - if the state never receives $70-80 million in earmarks.  In this political climate, it's quite possible for the additional monies not to be authorized.

Buummu

That section of the freeway will receive Future I-73 shields in the future, I am sure... at least until everything is built.

Speaking of NC, in Asheboro area, they are widening the shoulders throughout the US 220 freeway to interstate standards, which means.... they are being serious about labeling US 220 as I-73.

I-74/US 311 is now under construction... the last segment towards US 220.

Is there any update on the US 220 Rockingham, NC Bypass? Just wondering..

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Buummu on April 28, 2011, 11:27:12 AM
That section of the freeway will receive Future I-73 shields in the future, I am sure... at least until everything is built.

I'm sure that if they get the section built from I-95 to US-501, they will post it as I-73 from the start.  That or they'll get AASHTO approval to make it a temporary I-x95 Spur.

Buummu

yeah or the "FUTURE I-73 CORRIDOR" sign

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Buummu on April 28, 2011, 10:28:03 PM
yeah or the "FUTURE I-73 CORRIDOR" sign

Trust me, since it will connect to another Interstate, they will post it as a full Interstate (look @ I-74 up in NC with it's newest segments that connect with I-85/I-95 as an example).  It's just a matter if it will be I-73 or I-x95 till it goes farther than US-501.  No "FUTURE I-73 CORRIDOR" stuff will be posted on it UNLESS it's posted as I-x95 imo.

vdeane

Why would you go through the process of getting one number if you're just going to change it?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CanesFan27

Quote from: deanej on April 29, 2011, 10:43:45 AM
Why would you go through the process of getting one number if you're just going to change it?

So folks can talk about it in forums like these.

Buummu

true lol.. but still is fun to drive on a new interstate in the future....

Buummu

I also think that I-73 between Greensboro, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC will be finished first.... before any construction can be done north to Roanoke, VA.......

Henry

Quote from: Buummu on April 29, 2011, 04:02:44 PM
I also think that I-73 between Greensboro, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC will be finished first.... before any construction can be done north to Roanoke, VA.......
I think so, too (same goes for I-74 in NC), but unless WV, OH and MI change their minds about the route, then Congress has really screwed it up big-time!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Buummu

WV is slowly building their part.. that is from what i heard a few years ago...

NE2

Not as a freeway, they're not. Though to be technical it's the "I-73/74 High Priority Corridor", not Interstates 73 and 74. There has been no legislation designating this corridor as a future Interstate, and only portions southeast of I-81 have been approved as Interstates by the FHWA. Much like the I-3 and I-14 proposals, it will likely never become an Interstate in the Ohio Valley.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on April 30, 2011, 12:29:19 AM
Not as a freeway, they're not. Though to be technical it's the "I-73/74 High Priority Corridor", not Interstates 73 and 74. There has been no legislation designating this corridor as a future Interstate, and only portions southeast of I-81 have been approved as Interstates by the FHWA. Much like the I-3 and I-14 proposals, it will likely never become an Interstate in the Ohio Valley.

And if no new alignment is built for I-74 in OH & WV, we always have the option of connecting I-74 in OH and NC together by multiplexes.

I-75 > I-75/I-71 > I-75 > I-64/I-75 > I-64 > I-64/I-77 > I-77

To be honest, I'd always thought that the I-74 in NC should be a Southern I-79 (with I-79 multiplexed with I-77 to NC).  But stuff like that should be talked about in the Fictional area. ;)

Buummu

yeah that is possible... there can always be a interstate multiplexes... like rickmastfan67 said..

As for I-73, if no new alignment is built, I-73 can always multiple with I-81 south and go up on US 460 (that cloverleaf).. then end it at I-77 for now. But, most likely I-73 will just be VA, NC and SC interstate until who knows.

I do not know about I-74.. looks like if I-74 isnt going to be built in Ohio Valley, there will be 2 separate I-74s.. just like I-84, I-86 and I-88.

but I like the idea of Southern I-79.... anyways.....

Alps

Ask Arkansas I-130, I mean I-69, apparently I mean I-49.

froggie

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AlpsROADS on April 30, 2011, 02:35:00 PM
Ask Arkansas I-130, I mean I-69.

Don't forget Arkansas I-540 (Northern segment), I mean I-49.

Alps

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 30, 2011, 11:52:37 PM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on April 30, 2011, 02:35:00 PM
Ask Arkansas I-130, I mean I-69, no, really, 49, sorry.

Don't forget Arkansas I-540 (Northern segment), I mean I-49.
I-164, I-69, but that's different. 130 is being planned with the knowledge that 49 is coming. I don't know that 540 was the same.

UptownRoadGeek

Anyone know where I could find a map of the proposed 73 and 74 routes?

Buummu

Grzrd

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on May 01, 2011, 01:14:07 PM
Anyone know where I could find a map of the proposed 73 and 74 routes?
Here is a link to a map of I-73's route from I-81 to North Carolina state line on VDOT's website:
http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/I73/i73-maps.asp#

Here is a link to NCDOT's map of I-73 and I-74 routes:
http://www.ncdot.org/planning/development/TIP/i73and74.htm

Here's a link to SCDOT's I-73 North map:
http://www.i73insc.com/northern_map.shtml

And, a link to SCDOT's I-73 South map:
http://www.i73insc.com/southern_map_detail.shtml

Revive 755

Is it just me, or does that U-turn on I-74 in eastern NC look kind of screwed up?  Seems it should go south from Whiteville into SC, or east into Wilmington, not go halfway to Wilmington and change its mind.

Grzrd

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 01, 2011, 02:38:11 PM
Is it just me, or does that U-turn on I-74 in eastern NC look kind of screwed up?  Seems it should go south from Whiteville into SC, or east into Wilmington, not go halfway to Wilmington and change its mind.
Here is a link to NCDOT's I-74 Feasibility Study for this area (click on the I-74 Feasibility Study Report pdf link toward the bottom of the page):
http://www.ncdot.org/projects/I74feasibility/

There are maps on pages 31/46 and 32/46  of the above pdf which shows how I-74 would fit into North Carolina's looooong-term transportation strategy.  The maps include an extension of I-20 from Florence, SC to Wilmington; I-74 and I-20 multiplex for a relatively short distance, and then I-74 branches off and I-20 continues into Wilmington.  Also, the maps assume I-74 will have a terminus in Myrtle Beach; I-74, after leaving I-20, goes down to the US 17 corridor and follows it to Myrtle Beach.  All of which sorta/kinda explains the U-turn.  I doublechecked: NCDOT does not have a Fictional Projects page  :-D.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.