News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Is I-444 an east-west or a north-south highway?

Started by bugo, December 26, 2014, 04:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I-444 has an E-W leg and a N-S leg. It is plexed with US 75 for its entire length, and US 75 is signed N-S. It is also plexed with US 64 and OK 51 which are E-W highways. It branches off of I-244 which is an E-W highway. It is unsigned so there is no way of telling whether it is E-W or N-S by signage.  Which is it?

Was it ever signed? I've heard of I-444 shields being seen during construction and after it was opened.

Why is it unsigned in the first place?

Scott5114

444 ÷ 2 = 222, which is a whole number, so I would expect I-444 to nominally be an east-west highway.

It could also be like I-435 in Kansas City and several other highways and change from logical E-W to logical N-S midway through. The ODOT control section map shows I-444 split into two control sections, #94, which begins at I-244 and goes east to the BA Expressway, and #92, which begins at section #94 and goes north from there.

Really, though, I-444's logical direction is kind of a null question because logical direction only exists in terms of what is signed. It is a bit like asking about how much lift a dragon's wings generate. You could come up with a theoretical answer, but dragons don't exist in real life, so it can't be proven right.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 26, 2014, 05:12:29 AM
Really, though, I-444's logical direction is kind of a null question because logical direction only exists in terms of what is signed. It is a bit like asking about how much lift a dragon's wings generate. You could come up with a theoretical answer, but dragons don't exist in real life, so it can't be proven right.
This. In many states, directions only have relevance for signs. (Some states do define a direction internally.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

444 ÷ 2 = 222, which is a whole number, so I would expect I-444 to nominally be an east-west highway.

Being a 3di, the last digit does not count for direction.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

On 3dis I think its the first number( an odd or an even) that is supposed to mean something -Odd is a "spur"
even is a "loop".
A tread on how closely that one has been followed would be interesting

Brandon

Quote from: 3467 on December 29, 2014, 10:59:31 AM
On 3dis I think its the first number( an odd or an even) that is supposed to mean something -Odd is a "spur"
even is a "loop".
A tread on how closely that one has been followed would be interesting

Yes, it's the first digit that counts on a 3di, making it a loop or a spur.  Usually this seems to be adhered to (I-476 notwithstanding).  As for direction, I'll just use Illinois as an example.

I-172 is a north-south spur.
I-294 is a north-south loop.

Both end in an even digit, and both are signed north-south as they are 3di loops and spurs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Is that why Illinois cant seem to get IL 255 to be I-255 . It would be a spur off a loop!

Brandon

Quote from: 3467 on December 29, 2014, 01:44:09 PM
Is that why Illinois cant seem to get IL 255 to be I-255 . It would be a spur off a loop!

Yep. unless you happen to be PennDOT.  Then, you can get I-476 extended anywhere.

Bickendan

Quote from: Brandon on December 31, 2014, 02:37:46 PM

Yep. unless you happen to be PennDOT.  Then, you can get I-476 extended anywhere.
Why don't they extend it out to Oregon, just because? ;)

andy3175

Quote from: Bickendan on December 31, 2014, 04:01:56 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 31, 2014, 02:37:46 PM

Why don't they extend it out to Oregon, just because? ;)

Because they are still trying to extend I-84 west from PA to OR, and you can see how well that's going! :)
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: Brandon on December 29, 2014, 10:00:31 AM

Being a 3di, the last digit does not count for direction.
I-540 (AR) runs N-S
I-435 (KS-MO) runs all four directions
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2015, 04:06:35 PM
Pandirectional.

In other words, it's not just north-south, it's not just east-west, it swings both ways!  :spin:

intelati49

Quote from: Brandon on February 24, 2015, 05:58:10 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2015, 04:06:35 PM
Pandirectional.

In other words, it's not just north-south, it's not just east-west, it swings both ways!  :spin:

I prefer omnidirectional  :sombrero:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.