News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ask a professional truck driver questions.

Started by SteveG1988, July 26, 2014, 08:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

I know that myself and The crazy Volvo guy both are professional truck drivers, so ask us questions about what it's like, where we've been, crazy stuff, or even highway questions. But keep the questions clean and professional.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

The Nature Boy

When you're off the clock, how much time do you get to actually enjoy wherever you've stopped for the night?

on_wisconsin

As someone who is seriously considering getting a Class A CDL: Why do drivers put up with driving for Schneider Nat'l when you're limited to well under the speed limit on most non-urban freeways?
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 26, 2014, 10:05:53 AM
As someone who is seriously considering getting a Class A CDL: Why do drivers put up with driving for Schneider Nat'l when you're limited to well under the speed limit on most non-urban freeways?

Seeing how they don't pay their OTR drivers very well, I'm not quite sure; but then, people drive for Werner, Swift and C.R. England... the 3 worst companies to drive for, period.  And Werner pays OTRs worse than Schneider.  Schneider is at least a halfway decent company to drive for.

Quote from: The Nature Boy on July 26, 2014, 08:50:31 AMWhen you're off the clock, how much time do you get to actually enjoy wherever you've stopped for the night?

10 hours minimum by law.  That said, I usually have enough time to where I can take an extra hour or two, and still make delivery with time to spare.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

kurumi

What's the largest rig/combo you've driven? Some of the Michigan configurations are impressive: http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/martin_phippard_trailers_07.html
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Roadrunner75

How much of a role does CB radio serve anymore for truck drivers, with all the new technology available (cell phones, GPS, etc.).  Some of my friends and I used to drive around with them 20 years ago (in cars), and there were still plenty of truckers on channel 19.  This Father's Day my wife bought me a portable CB with a little magnet mount antenna, probably after hearing me talking about it once, and I tried it out.  I heard very little chatter, even out on the highways.  There used to be a lot of locals on the other channels (at least where I was at the time in the Philadelphia area) back in the early 90s which I figure have probably migrated to the internet for 'social time', but I thought I still might get a few trucks here and there.  To be fair my test run was a bit limited, but it did include some freeway time. 

SteveG1988

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 26, 2014, 02:28:12 PM
How much of a role does CB radio serve anymore for truck drivers, with all the new technology available (cell phones, GPS, etc.).  Some of my friends and I used to drive around with them 20 years ago (in cars), and there were still plenty of truckers on channel 19.  This Father's Day my wife bought me a portable CB with a little magnet mount antenna, probably after hearing me talking about it once, and I tried it out.  I heard very little chatter, even out on the highways.  There used to be a lot of locals on the other channels (at least where I was at the time in the Philadelphia area) back in the early 90s which I figure have probably migrated to the internet for 'social time', but I thought I still might get a few trucks here and there.  To be fair my test run was a bit limited, but it did include some freeway time.

We use CB to figure out traffic jams, what lane to be in.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Crazy Volvo Guy

Some do.  Most of these sensitive girls shut their radios off all the time because they don't want to hear "BS on the radio" - mine's on unless I'm sleeping.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 26, 2014, 02:48:09 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 26, 2014, 02:28:12 PM

We use CB to figure out traffic jams, what lane to be in.
Good to hear CB is not completely dead then.  There was a MAD Magazine article many years ago (probably 80s or 90s) called 'Get a Life' with one of the examples being "If you still use CB Radio and you're not a licensed trucker - Get a Life!".  This was with a cartoon of some guy in a small car yapping on a CB while a trucker looks scornfully down at him.  We probably got some of that, but we mostly stayed on the other channels.  Someday I will find out if 'Mousetrap' is still 'shooting skip' down at the Dunkin' Donuts.

Arkansastravelguy

Why do truckers drive side by side down an interstate for 20 miles so no one can pass? I've had this happen late at night many times

iPhone

Crazy Volvo Guy

Because desk jockeys who wear a suit and tie and make entirely too much money to drive a desk all day seem to think road-speed governors are a great idea for everyone.  In reality it just results in 63mph drag races, because too many people are stubborn.

The government needs to ban these things,  but the in$$$urance companies and the ATA have too much $$$pull$$$ for that to happen.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 26, 2014, 03:54:51 PM
Why do truckers drive side by side down an interstate for 20 miles so no one can pass? I've had this happen late at night many times

iPhone

When your truck is governed at 64, and you're passing a truck that's governed at 62, or even doing it on a hill, you will have problems
Roads Clinched

Crazy Volvo Guy

Well, driving side by side for 20 miles is more like a truck that's governed to 64.7 trying to pass a truck that's governed to 64.4.  Of course the "change" in those figures is mainly due to different tire wear.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Also, I should note that when I see a truck slightly passing me, I turn the jakes on and drop a few mph to let the passing truck get on by.

This is extremely uncommon today.  The selfishness phenomenon that has a stranglehold on society as a whole is to blame for this.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on July 26, 2014, 05:47:02 PM
Also, I should note that when I see a truck slightly passing me, I turn the jakes on and drop a few mph to let the passing truck get on by.

This is extremely uncommon today.  The selfishness phenomenon that has a stranglehold on society as a whole is to blame for this.

I try to do that as well, also letting trucks pull ahead of me since I know my truck will block em on the hill. Dd13/435hp with a 10sp auto pulling 75k up a hill is fun
Roads Clinched

Duke87

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 26, 2014, 07:03:32 PM
10sp auto

There are big rigs with automatic transmissions now? How well do they work?

I've always been under the impression that heavy trucks require manual transmissions in order to properly handle hills, although I suppose it is theoretically possible to design an automatic that takes that into account.

Something else I'm curious about: who is responsible for maintaining the vehicle (replacing/rotating tires, keeping fluids at proper levels, etc.)? Are the intervals at which these things are required similar to cars or can a truck handle more miles between work?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 26, 2014, 07:03:32 PMI try to do that as well, also letting trucks pull ahead of me since I know my truck will block em on the hill. Dd13/435hp with a 10sp auto pulling 75k up a hill is fun

Damn, Maverick's been bitten by the 13 liter bug too?  They held out with the DD15s for awhile.  That's a shame. What's the torque?  My old truck had an ISX15 Cummins, 435/1550, I could out climb a lot...

Current truck has a DD13 "500" and a 10 speed road ranger.  It's cut back in the most infuriating way possible, there's an artificial turbo lag programmed into it above 55.  When you hit/get below 55 pulling a hill you can feel it suddenly pick up the power (and hear the turbo suddenly spool up a lot more).  So stupid, and a huge waste of fuel (forcing me to downshift much sooner and more frequently is a GREAT IDEA to save fuel!...if you have an IQ of -15.)

SteveG1988

Quote from: Duke87 on July 26, 2014, 08:24:36 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 26, 2014, 07:03:32 PM
10sp auto

There are big rigs with automatic transmissions now? How well do they work?

I've always been under the impression that heavy trucks require manual transmissions in order to properly handle hills, although I suppose it is theoretically possible to design an automatic that takes that into account.

Something else I'm curious about: who is responsible for maintaining the vehicle (replacing/rotating tires, keeping fluids at proper levels, etc.)? Are the intervals at which these things are required similar to cars or can a truck handle more miles between work?

First question. They don't make them like a car.

The transmission in this truck is an eaton fuller 10 speed non syncromesh gearbox, with an automated shifter (X/Y axis) and clutch, air operated, so mechanically it is a manual with an automated bit tacked on. They work fairly decent though, just hill starts require using the brake pedal with the left foot.

The Maintence stuff....Depends on what you are.

Are you a company driver, using a company truck? If so, then you only top off fluids, and you get scheduled for Preventative Maint. 50,000 mi is a typical oil change inverval, due to a 40+ quart oil sump. The tire wear can be tricky to gauge, basically it all depends on what you are doing, are you doing 75,000 lb gross weight runs? or are you doing mostly 50k runs? Do you have super singles, one wide tire versus duals, etc. With my company all i am allowed to do is replace the light bulbs on the tractor/trailer, top off fluids, and clean it. I am not even allowed to wire in my own CB or radio.

Mr. Volvo, can you state your experience level, since it is higher than mine.

For me: Less than 2 weeks on the road experience, been around the industry for almost two years, was a fuel guy at my last company, driving the fuel truck around their trucking company yard, so i picked up some pearls of wisdom on the maint side of things.
Roads Clinched

SteveG1988

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on July 26, 2014, 08:37:04 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 26, 2014, 07:03:32 PMI try to do that as well, also letting trucks pull ahead of me since I know my truck will block em on the hill. Dd13/435hp with a 10sp auto pulling 75k up a hill is fun

Damn, Maverick's been bitten by the 13 liter bug too?  They held out with the DD15s for awhile.  That's a shame. What's the torque?  My old truck had an ISX15 Cummins, 435/1550, I could out climb a lot...

Current truck has a DD13 "500" and a 10 speed road ranger.  It's cut back in the most infuriating way possible, there's an artificial turbo lag programmed into it above 55.  When you hit/get below 55 pulling a hill you can feel it suddenly pick up the power (and hear the turbo suddenly spool up a lot more).  So stupid, and a huge waste of fuel (forcing me to downshift much sooner and more frequently is a GREAT IDEA to save fuel!...if you have an IQ of -15.)

DD13/435/1550, The axle gearing may be the problem, geared to get about 7.8 mpg. It pulls fine, just in the hills of arkansas/tn/ky it loses power. Otherwise it is great on the highway. I think it likes to stick in 10th on hills, as i am with a trainer i do not want to experiment with the manual mode just yet.
Roads Clinched

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: Duke87 on July 26, 2014, 08:24:36 PMThere are big rigs with automatic transmissions now? How well do they work?

Yes, although they are only automatics in the sense that they shift automatically.  They are in fact automated manuals

Quote from: Duke87 on July 26, 2014, 08:24:36 PMSomething else I'm curious about: who is responsible for maintaining the vehicle (replacing/rotating tires, keeping fluids at proper levels, etc.)? Are the intervals at which these things are required similar to cars or can a truck handle more miles between work?

That depends.  Company drivers are responsible financially for nothing (unless damaged or excessively worn items are classified as "driver abuse" which at some companies can result in termination, and at most companies will result in the cost of repair/replacement being deducted from the driver's pay.)  Lease-operators and owner-operators are responsible for everything, although depending on the company, they may get a discount for using the company's preferred partners and/or the company's shops.

SteveG1988

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on July 26, 2014, 08:41:32 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on July 26, 2014, 08:24:36 PMThere are big rigs with automatic transmissions now? How well do they work?

Yes, although they are only automatics in the sense that they shift automatically.  They are in fact automated manuals

Quote from: Duke87 on July 26, 2014, 08:24:36 PMSomething else I'm curious about: who is responsible for maintaining the vehicle (replacing/rotating tires, keeping fluids at proper levels, etc.)? Are the intervals at which these things are required similar to cars or can a truck handle more miles between work?

That depends.  Company drivers are responsible for nothing (unless damaged or excessively worn items are classified as "driver abuse" which at some companies can result in termination, and at most companies will result in the cost of repair/replacement being deducted from the driver's pay.)  Lease-operators and owner-operators are responsible for everything, although depending on the company, they may get a discount for using the company's preferred partners and/or the company's shops.

Quite good answer.

Maverick is picky about their trucks, due to their 5 year trade cycle. They do not want to have them abused/misused.
Roads Clinched

SteveG1988

Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 26, 2014, 10:05:53 AM

It is due to them taking...ANYBODY...yes ANYBODY. My company, Maverick, will not hire just anybody, they put you through orientation, a week long job interview, which has both a DOT and a company physical, fail the company physical, you go home. But that means you can go work for CR England, or Swift, etc. Basically, if you need a fresh start they are the ones who will be most likely to work with someone that has a bad driving record, as a bad driving record becomes part of the company's CSA score. That CSA score can cost contracts.
Roads Clinched

bugo

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 26, 2014, 05:31:29 PM

iPhone

When your truck is governed at 64, and you're passing a truck that's governed at 62, or even doing it on a hill, you will have problems

And you should stay behind the guy doing 62.  You're making your problem everybody else's.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: bugo on July 26, 2014, 09:01:28 PM

iPhone

And you should stay behind the guy doing 62.  You're making your problem everybody else's.
I kinda agree with this. When I'm traveling and I'm on an unfamiliar stretch of road (particularly mountain roads) if I'm holding up traffic I pull over and let the faster traffic pass. It's road etiquette.

iPhone

SteveG1988

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 26, 2014, 09:05:00 PM

Quote from: bugo on July 26, 2014, 09:01:28 PM

iPhone

I kinda agree with this. When I'm traveling and I'm on an unfamiliar stretch of road (particularly mountain roads) if I'm holding up traffic I pull over and let the faster traffic pass. It's road etiquette.

iPhone

Sometimes though you do not wanna be behind that unit because you want to have a better sight line ahead, and also more reaction time. it is actually safer in the long run to pass, also it doesn't take that long to pass a 62mph truck at 64, the truck i am in has an automatic braking thing for the cruise, it will keep some space between me and a slower vehicle, and that can be annoying when you are going down an declinewhere you can pick up speed to use to get up the next incline
Roads Clinched

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.