News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

David Bowie dead.

Started by SteveG1988, January 11, 2016, 02:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Pete from Boston

The DJ I was listening to just after midnight on WFMU had just played "Station to Station" as a nod to Bowie's birthday.  It was just about that moment that the news happened to come in.  Needless to say, the DJs on since have been crafting some amazing tributes with some really interesting and rare Bowie material with loads of good stories.  You won't get that on Spotify, Pandora, or commercial radio.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Pete from Boston

I watch this all the time, Bowie doing "Young Americans" on The Dick Cavett Show:

http://youtu.be/ydLcs4VrjZQ

Not to take anything from Bowie himself, but if Luther Vandross's exuberance in the background doesn't make you want to dance, you're just not paying attention.

english si

I knew he was big, but not this big that a ton of 20-somethings have a fairly impromptu massive street party in Brixton.

Or that the German Foreign Ministry hold him in such high esteem that not only was there this tweet praising him for helping to bring down the wall, but the German Foreign Minister held a press conference to pay tribute to him.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: english si on January 12, 2016, 04:56:46 AM
I knew he was big, but not this big that a ton of 20-somethings have a fairly impromptu massive street party in Brixton.

Or that the German Foreign Ministry hold him in such high esteem that not only was there this tweet praising him for helping to bring down the wall, but the German Foreign Minister held a press conference to pay tribute to him.

Oh, let the people have their fun.  None of this should come as any surprise.

english si

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 12, 2016, 08:03:00 AMOh, let the people have their fun.
I can see that my post can be read in a way that would elicit that response, but that wasn't my aim.
QuoteNone of this should come as any surprise.
It did though, I am surprised by how many people are genuinely sad at his passing, and at the reach of Bowie's life and music. I reckoned on a little bit bigger than Lemmy level of mourning, but this is much much bigger.

That's what I was trying to express.

Pete from Boston

I think I brought outpouring as for a couple reasons. First, he kept producing new and interesting material up until the end, even if it didn't achieve the commercial success that he once had.

And second, and more importantly, Bowie appealed to a hugely wide range of people.  He had appeal from the freaks to the casual mainstream listeners and everyone in between. He was the Ferris Bueller of rock stars.

Grzrd

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 12, 2016, 12:27:06 PM
Bowie appealed to a hugely wide range of people.  He had appeal from the freaks to the casual mainstream listeners and everyone in between. He was the Ferris Bueller of rock stars.

He even appealed to Bing Crosby's generation:

Thirty-nine years later, he's back with Bing enjoying peace.

SteveG1988

There was a bowie for all of humanity. From Ziggy Stardust, to the Thin White Duke, to the actor.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

US71

I figured it would never happen, but I was so wanting to see Bowie do a remake of Space Oddity with Chris Hadfield.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kurumi

Wide variety of work, and almost all of it good (though "Let's Dance" got played a few too many times). Here his 1975 "TVC15" played at Live Aid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFO323uDkSQ
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

allniter89

RIP David  :-(   Thanks for the great music!  :clap:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

Pete from Boston

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bandit957

I grew up on MTV, so I saw the late David Bowie's videos quite a bit.

In high school, there was some sort of counselor or social worker who strongly resembled Mr. Bowie. So I always called him The Guy Who Looks Like David Bowie - but only behind his back, never to his face.

He knew he looked like David Bowie, but just never admitted it and hoped nobody would notice. But I think I was the first student to notice. I remember snickering to classmates that he looked like David Bowie, and they laughed in agreement.

But one day, I kept acting up in class, because this school was just so futile. Then The Guy Who Looks Like David Bowie popped into the room. I greeted him by putting on my best radio voice and mimicking a concert announcer.

I declared, "Ladies and gentlemen..." The social worker began getting an uneasy look on his face, as if he knew what was coming.

I continued, "Now, right here on our stage..." The look of uneasiness grew.

I went on. "It's the electrifying..."

I continued, "The stupendous..."

I doubled down. "The amazing..."

"DAVID BOWIE!!!"

I then started humming the intro to "Modern Love."

It was during the first syllable of "DAVID BOWIE!!!" that The Guy Who Looks Like David Bowie emitted a sigh of defeat. It was at that precise moment that he knew he had lost us all for good. He knew that now everyone would think of him as The Guy Who Looks Like David Bowie.

He tried to keep a game face, but the truth was out: The Guy Who Looks Like David Bowie looked like David Bowie.

From then on, every time he entered the classroom, I'd inevitably hear a student whispering, "It's David Bowie."

That was before I had a college professor who looked like Mick Fleetwood.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Ophidian14

This appears to be an excerpt from this month's issue of Last Word.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.