News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Do you live closer to your state capitol or another state's?

Started by golden eagle, January 18, 2016, 09:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

It happens to me at national level: I live closer to Andorra la Vella than Madrid.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

bulldog1979

I am closer to both Madison (253.45 mi) and St. Paul (285 mi) than Lansing (301.28 mi).

Buck87

Closer to my own state's capital

(90 miles to Columbus vs 130 to Lansing)

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 19, 2016, 07:37:05 AM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 18, 2016, 11:06:10 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 18, 2016, 10:09:57 PM
Another state's (Annapolis).

Dover is closer to Arlington and Alexandria than Richmond (using Google Maps mileage).

You're also closer to DC than Richmond, as is the case for all (most?) of Northern VA.

But contrary to what E. Norton would have you believe, DC is not a state, so there's no "state capitol" involved there.

Thank you for pointing that out. Living my entire life in the DC, I have thought all this time that DC was a state and that the US flag was missing a star.

My point was that from a bureaucratic and administrative standpoint, DC does take on some state-level functions, e.g. it is the direct recipient of the same federal assistance for education and transportaiton that usually goes to the states. And you'll often see in federal documents and statistics, references to "50 states and the District of Columbia".

The Nature Boy

People who live in DC would have a hard time answering this question since "your state capitol" doesn't exist to them.

1995hoo

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 19, 2016, 09:54:03 AM

Dover is closer to Arlington and Alexandria than Richmond (using Google Maps mileage).

You're also closer to DC than Richmond, as is the case for all (most?) of Northern VA.

But contrary to what E. Norton would have you believe, DC is not a state, so there's no "state capitol" involved there.

Thank you for pointing that out. Living my entire life in the DC, I have thought all this time that DC was a state and that the US flag was missing a star.

My point was that from a bureaucratic and administrative standpoint, DC does take on some state-level functions, e.g. it is the direct recipient of the same federal assistance for education and transportaiton that usually goes to the states. And you'll often see in federal documents and statistics, references to "50 states and the District of Columbia".

I interpreted your comment as being intended to "correct" my omission of DC in my reply. So I responded accordingly. I intentionally didn't list DC for the reason stated (no pun intended).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 19, 2016, 10:30:20 AM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 19, 2016, 09:54:03 AM

I interpreted your comment as being intended to "correct" my omission of DC in my reply. So I responded accordingly. I intentionally didn't list DC for the reason stated (no pun intended).

Even if you did include it, it's not like it's a capital offense or anything.

Brandon

Interesting question.  From my house in Joliet, for the surrounding states, it is...

162 miles to Springfield, IL
195 miles to Indianapolis, IN
234 miles to Lansing, MI
164 miles to Madison, WI
306 miles to Des Moines, IA

All distances are via road, to the state capitol building.  Missouri and Kentucky are not included as I'd have to well beyond Springfield to get to Jefferson City or Frankfort.  It looks like I'm closest to my state capitol, but not by much.  Madison, WI is only 2 miles further than Springfield, IL.  The funny thing is, I've been to Lansing, MI and Madison, WI more often than I've been to Springfield, IL.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

freebrickproductions

I live closer to Nashville, TN (~99.68 miles from Huntsville, AL) and Atlanta, GA (~142.85 miles from Huntsville, AL) than to Montgomery, AL (~164.32 miles from Huntsville, AL)
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SSOWorld

Closest to my state's capital (Madison - ~70 miles) than the surrounding states' capitals - Des Moines (221 miles). St Paul comes in at 245 and Springfield (IL) at 261.  Lansing is way out there (400)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kkt

Closer to my own.  However, Seattle is closer to Ottawa than to Washington DC.

rawmustard

I'm definitely closer to my own than another state's.

cl94

Currently, I'm 4 miles from the Albany city line and a whopping 6.27 from the capitol itself, so I think that settles it.

While living in Buffalo, I was closer to Toronto (duh), Ottawa and Harrisburg (both as the crow flies), with Trenton, Lansing, and Columbus being slightly further away than Albany. I lived just outside of Columbus. During my year outside of Philadelphia, I was closer to Trenton and Dover than I was to Harrisburg. In New Hampshire, I was approximately equidistant from both Concord and Boston.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SD Mapman

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

The Nature Boy

Since someone mentioned a national capital:

I live a couple hundred miles closer to Ottawa than I do Washington, DC.

Eth

I am less than 1.5 miles from the Atlanta city limits and less than 6 miles from the capitol building itself.

For what it's worth, the next closest, Montgomery, is about 150 miles away.

SignGeek101

I live in the capital. In fact, I used to live in Canada's capital (Ottawa).

tdindy88

I live in Indianapolis, and the next closest capital to me is Frankfort, Kentucky. Oddly, of the four states bordering Indiana, Frankfort is the capital I've visited the least.

cl94

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 19, 2016, 09:18:21 PM
I live in Indianapolis, and the next closest capital to me is Frankfort, Kentucky. Oddly, of the four states bordering Indiana, Frankfort is the capital I've visited the least.

Frankfort is quite a small city, being the fourth-smallest capital city in the United States. Only Montpelier, Pierre, and Augusta are smaller, with Augusta having a larger metro area as defined by the US Census Bureau. Makes sense that you haven't visited often - there isn't much there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Pete from Boston

allniter89

I live closer to another states capital but not by much. Montgomery, AL 136...Tallahassee, FL 148.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

OracleUsr

Slightly closer to Columbia (SC) than Raleigh.  It's roughly about a 10-mile or so difference (140 to downtown Columbia, 150 to Raleigh).
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

triplemultiplex

Very much my own state's capital.  It almost completely surrounds me.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ModernDayWarrior

My state's capital is over 100 miles away but is still by far the closest capital city. From my hometown in southeast Missouri:

Jefferson City, MO (106 miles)
Springfield, IL (204 miles)
Little Rock, AR (274 miles)

All other state capitals are over 300 miles away.

thenetwork

Grand Junction, CO:  Pretty much equidistant between Denver and Salt Lake at about 275 miles either way.  Despite the winding, steep sections of I-70, Denver is shorter drive-time wise, "on a good day".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.