News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Do you live closer to your state capitol or another state's?

Started by golden eagle, January 18, 2016, 09:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: thenetwork on January 21, 2016, 03:28:31 AM
Grand Junction, CO:  Pretty much equidistant between Denver and Salt Lake at about 275 miles either way.  Despite the winding, steep sections of I-70, Denver is shorter drive-time wise, "on a good day".

Which capitol is closer? (The capital is a city, but the capitol is a building.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

national highway 1

I live in Carlingford, a suburb of the capital of New South Wales, Sydney. The parliament building is 24 km (15 mi) from my house.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Mr_Northside

Based on the shortest routes Google has (as opposed to "as the crow flies"), Columbus OH is closer to my place in Pittsburgh than Harrisburg is.
Harrisburg - 207 mi
Columbus - 186 mi
(distance to capitol buildings)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

wolfiefrick

I'm a bit closer to Springfield, IL than I am to Jefferson City. Jefferson City is exactly 128 miles from my hometown, while Springfield comes in at 111 miles.

pianocello

By car, my house in Davenport is closer to Des Moines than Madison by about 3 miles. As the crow flies, though, it's significantly closer to Madison and even Springfield than Des Moines.

Valparaiso is easily closer to Indy than to Springfield or Lansing.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

KEVIN_224

I live about 10 mi/16 km from downtown Hartford. The CT Fastrak line, which starts in downtown New Britain by Main Street and Columbus Boulevard is a hair over 9 miles long on its dedicated busway.

CtrlAltDel

Here is a map that shows the closest capital city, as the crow flies. I haven't been able to find one with driving times.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

roadman65

I never thought of it until this map, being I live in Orlando, its not near any state border due to the fact my state is a peninsula.  However, the way the map is shaded green, it shows me that for the sake of the OP, that Tallahassee, even though over 200 plus miles away is my nearest state capital.

However I am amazed that Buffalo is closer to Harrisburg than it is its own state's capital.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 21, 2016, 08:52:07 PM
Here is a map that shows the closest capital city, as the crow flies. I haven't been able to find one with driving times.

Of course, that only assumes US capitals. Much of New York is closer to Toronto. Most of Southern California is closest to Mexicali, while southern Texas is closer to Monterrey (Mexico has states). Northern Washington and Idaho have Vancouver and Calgary closer, as is Winnipeg for parts of North Dakota and Minnesota.

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2016, 09:08:50 PM
I never thought of it until this map, being I live in Orlando, its not near any state border due to the fact my state is a peninsula.  However, the way the map is shaded green, it shows me that for the sake of the OP, that Tallahassee, even though over 200 plus miles away is my nearest state capital.

However I am amazed that Buffalo is closer to Harrisburg than it is its own state's capital.

Having lived there, Buffalo is more like Cleveland and Columbus than most of New York. The distance has something to do with it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

The next game is to identify the tripoints on this map that are equidistant from three state capitals. :-)

iPhone

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on January 22, 2016, 09:21:35 AM

The next game is to identify the tripoints on this map that are equidistant from three state capitals. :-)

iPhone

:pan:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Congrats to Delaware & Rhode Island!

Pete from Boston

iPhone

I would be interested in figuring out which states have the greatest portion of their state closer to their capital than to another's, but not enough to run that query.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 22, 2016, 12:30:54 PM

iPhone

I would be interested in figuring out which states have the greatest portion of their state closer to their capital than to another's, but not enough to run that query.

If you just mean the state, I hinted that above: Rhode Island & Delaware are entirely within their state's colors, so they would win.

If you're talking about a state's population, then by eyeballing it several states would be very close.

kkt

I'm surprised by how closely Washington's capital area fits its state borders.  (Of course, that's if you exclude Victoria BC, but still.)

thenetwork

iPhone

Hawaii says Aloha!

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 22, 2016, 12:39:18 PM

If you just mean the state, I hinted that above: Rhode Island & Delaware are entirely within their state's colors, so they would win.

If you're talking about a state's population, then by eyeballing it several states would be very close.

Well, for Illinois, I'd say most of the population is closer to Madison than to Springfield.  Joliet (far SW Chicagoland) is on the dividing line between the two, which means the line divides Will County (677,500) and puts Kane (515,200), DuPage (916,900), Cook (5,194,600), Lake (703,400), and McHenry (308,700) to the north of that line, as well as Winnebago (295,200).  Most of Will's population is also north of that line (Plainfield, Bolingbrook, Romeoville).  Thus, even dividing Will's population in half, 8,272,750 of Illinois's 12,860,000 live north of that line (not including the smaller population counties like Boone, Jo Davies, and Lee).  That's over 64% of the population of the state of Illinois being closer to Madison than Springfield.  As an aside, imagine what might have been if the original boundary between Wisconsin and Illinois had been maintained at the far southern tip of Lake Michigan.  Wisconsin gains 8 million people, becoming a state of almost 13 million, and Illinois becomes a state of less than 5 million.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

I know I've had this discussion before, but I don't know if it was here or in a Facebook group. I'm obviously closer to Frankfort, but I'm not all that far from the dividing line between Frankfort and Charleston.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

KEVIN_224

I live 10 miles from downtown Hartford. If using straight line distance, from point A to point B:

Providence, RI - 71 miles
Albany, NY - 86 miles
Boston - 102 miles
Concord, NH - 124 miles
Trenton, NJ - 144 miles
Montpelier, VT - 179 miles
Dover, DE - 226 miles
Harrisburg, PA - 235 miles
Augusta, ME - 240 miles
Annapolis, MD - 271 miles
(Washington, DC - 294 miles)

JMoses24

I'm basically 100 miles from the Ohio State Capitol building in Columbus (Google maps says 99.9, round it up), and only slightly closer to the Kentucky Capitol in Frankfort at 98 (97.8 per Google maps) miles.

dzlsabe

Chicago (largest "American" city? spawned by NY rail barons basically)) is 148 (could be LESS?) from Madison, Indy 183, Springfield 202. Says a lot. Sometimes I envy Boston (British). Being a capital is a sweet benefit.

@Brandon... "As an aside, imagine what might have been if the original boundary between Wisconsin and Illinois had been maintained at the far southern tip of Lake Michigan.  Wisconsin gains 8 million people, becoming a state of almost 13 million, and Illinois becomes a state of less than 5 million." Great point.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

LM117

I'm closer to Raleigh (97 miles) than Richmond (150 miles).
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Great Lakes Roads

I am actually closer to Indianapolis than Lansing by 10 miles...
Indianapolis: 153 miles
Lansing: 163 miles

wxfree

Somewhat on topic, Dalhart is about 485 miles from Austin.  It's closer to Santa Fe, Denver, Cheyenne, Lincoln, Topeka, and Oklahoma City.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

paulthemapguy

Before that map was thrown into the mix, I figured I'm about 2 1/4 hours from Madison and just under 3 hours from Springfield.  I'm a bit south of Chicago, but not far enough south on the map to be in the Springfield zone.  I'm nearly equidistant from 3 state capitals (WI, IL, IN.)

Now I'm just studying the map to see if there are any places that are equidistant from 4 state capitals.  It looks like there's a near-perfect four corners just east of Knoxville, TN!  And the lines meet at nearly right angles, oddly enough.  There's another weirdly skewed 4 corners in eastern WV and another near Sioux Falls, it looks like.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.