News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Are Any Full Service &/or Service Stations Still In Your Area???

Started by thenetwork, January 27, 2016, 01:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Do you live in an area where there are still bona-fide "Service Stations" that have their own garage/repair facilities AND will provide Full Service at the gas pumps -- even if it is more per gallon than Self Serve???

I know there are quite a few in SoCal and at least south of Tucson, where my parents go for the winter with all the other retired "snowbirds".

In my own town (Grand Junction, CO) we have one remaining gas station off the main drags that has both Full Service pumps and a service garage.  I think it is about 30 cents more across the board for full service there last time I checked.  The way they have it set up is that the both pumps on the island closest to the building are Full Serve while the 2 pumps facing the street are Self Serve.  Last time I was there, some lady pulled in on the inner side and began pumping, paying Full Serve prices and no one came out to stop or assist her. 

Others???

TheHighwayMan3561

We have a full-serve Shell station here in town on US 10. It's right down the street from a self-serve Shell and I notice prices are typically pretty similar between the two. I always go for the self-serve though just so I don't have to deal with the hassles of full-serve.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Pete from Boston

Tons.  It is not rare at all.  The cheapest stations I know around here, in fact, are ones of this setup.

spooky

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 27, 2016, 06:35:00 AM
Tons.  It is not rare at all.  The cheapest stations I know around here, in fact, are ones of this setup.

This. Although there is a station near me that advertises both "mini-serve" and "full serve" - both have an attendant pump your gas, so I am not really sure what the difference is. I assume the attendant would scoff if I suggested he check my oil or clean my windshield at the full serve pump.

DandyDan

There's at least 4 in Omaha, a BP on Dodge Street (US 6), another BP on Pacific Street just east of I-680 (I thought these two gas stations had the same owner), a Sinclair on Center Street between 42nd and 48th and a station whose brand of gas escapes me which is at Leavenworth and I-480.  I work with someone who goes to the one on Leavenworth all the time.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jeffandnicole

empirestate

Why exclude Oregon and New Jersey? Surely, full-service filling & repair stations aren't any more common there than they are elsewhere?

iPhone

nexus73

Quote from: empirestate on January 27, 2016, 09:40:37 AM
Why exclude Oregon and New Jersey? Surely, full-service filling & repair stations aren't any more common there than they are elsewhere?

iPhone

That's right!  The only full service classic gas station I see in southwestern Oregon is the Chevron in Cave Junction (US-199).  It's like 1970 came to life!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

jeffandnicole

iPhone

Full Service AND Service Stations are becoming increasingly rare.  One by me recently converted their service bays to a small convenience store...which is located right next to another convenience store.  Based on what I've seen - no additional employees to work the convenience store and no one actually walking inside to purchase something, makes me think the products will be sitting on the shelves way too long.

Full Service OR Service Stations are completely normal though.

And actual Full Service - windows washed, oil checked, etc, well, maybe there's one or two out there, but good luck finding it.

PHLBOS

In southeastern PA, some stations have a dedicated full-serve pump (that have prices typically at $0.30/gallon higher than the self-serve prices) situated in-between the self service pumps.  One Liberty station near me has this setup along with an auto service garage.

There are a handful of stations that are mini-serve; which are stations that have attendants pump your gas (but nothing else) at closer to self-serve prices; but such is a rare sight... at least in my area.

In my old stomping grounds, Essex County, MA; one would be hard-pressed to find a station that has an attendant pump one's gas.  One old Prime Energy station in Salem, MA had full-service but it was converted to all self-serve a year ago (with more pumps and an expanded convenient store).  Such a change ticked off my 78-year-old mother who has never used self-serve in her life.  She now uses a Gibbs station in Swampscott that still a full-serve station (w/a service garage).  A nearby Spiro's down the road has a similar set-up and prices.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Only full service station in my immediate area is an independent station in Reading, MA.  Gas is pricey, but it's one of the few gas stations around that still do state inspections.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

freebrickproductions

We have one here in downtown next to Huntsville Hospital.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7214236,-86.5799445,3a,66.8y,67.39h,90.23t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1oQ8AU4ilfkrZshRwj5uFA!2e0
It appears to have been a Chevron originally, but it is now independently operated.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

thenetwork

iPhone

My original thought was full-service pumps only, then at the last minute I extended it to repair shops/garages in gas stations as well, but failed to edit the opening statement.  Fixed!

Where I used to live in NE OH, where in both my grandparents old neighborhoods there used to be service stations on every 3rd block seemingly, by the mid 80s most of those stations either took out the pumps and became regular auto repair shops or took out the grease racks and converted the garage bays into convenience stores.   Still others converted into other businesses: A florist, a pizza shop and a lawnmower dealer were just a few examples.

wolfiefrick

Trog's Service is still doing full service on Manchester Road (MO-100, old US-66) and has been doing so for an insanely long time. It's about 1 mile from where I live and it's so cool to drive by there because it's been standing there and been in business for about 60 years.

empirestate

Quote from: thenetwork on January 27, 2016, 12:42:47 PM
My original thought was full-service pumps only, then at the last minute I extended it to repair shops/garages in gas stations as well, but failed to edit the opening statement.  Fixed!

Even considering pumps only, full serve is still pretty uncommon. Most places seem to limit the service to filling the fuel tank only.

iPhone

SteveG1988

NJ Route 38 by I-295. Sunoco station still doing repairs, oil changes, etc.

NJ Turnpike service plazas.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

SP Cook

The only two traditional "service stations" I know of are one each of Exxon in the wealthiest neighborhoods of Charleston and Huntington.  Each charges about double for fuel, and does double price auto repairs.  Mostly on Buicks driven by blue haired old ladies.

kkt

I can't think of anyplace in Seattle that pumps gas for you.  There are some that have service bays, though, and one is even open seven days a week for your urgent repairs.

Pete from Boston

Wow.  I just did a quick mental survey of the six closest stations to me, and five are full-serve with garage.  Of the next five or so closest, all but one are full-serve with garage.  I'm amazed this is not the norm.

The two self-serve/convenience store stations in the bunch are also consistently the most expensive of the lot.

Takumi

There was a service station a block from where I worked when I left Petersburg. I went back there a few times because their gas prices were cheaper than not only any other Shell, but almost any other station in the area period, but I eventually found a decent gas station closer to where I work now.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.