News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Tom89t, January 09, 2012, 12:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom89t

What is your guy's favorite anime?

NE2

I have a thing for 9-Aminomethyl-9,10-dihydroanthracene.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Stephane Dumas

Gunsmith Cats, You're Under Arrest, Lupin the 3rd and I remember the times when I watched Sailor Moon.

For Bleach, I watch it mainly for the funny moments then Kon gived.

1995hoo

The original Yamato/Star Blazers.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alex

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 09, 2012, 07:57:51 AM

Was going to chime in with that, you beat me to it.  :D

1995hoo

Quote from: Alex on January 09, 2012, 10:57:28 AM

Was going to chime in with that, you beat me to it.  :D

I have a full set of the DVDs, all three TV series and all five of the movies, the latter in Japanese with subtitles (though Final Yamato has a censored ending that omits the "consummation" scene and a few others were slightly edited to remove Yuki Mori fanservice).

Edited to add: BTW, if you haven't seen the "Star Blazers Rebirth" webcomic, go here and prepare to be unproductive for a while.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alex

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 09, 2012, 11:02:46 AM
Quote from: Alex on January 09, 2012, 10:57:28 AM

Was going to chime in with that, you beat me to it.  :D

I have a full set of the DVDs, all three TV series and all five of the movies, the latter in Japanese with subtitles (though Final Yamato has a censored ending that omits the "consummation" scene and a few others were slightly edited to remove Yuki Mori fanservice).

Edited to add: BTW, if you haven't seen the "Star Blazers Rebirth" webcomic, go here and prepare to be unproductive for a while.

Will have to revisit the starblazers site and check that out. I did look at the original comic strips online showing Alex Wildstar as a space pirate, which was how he was originally conceived.

One of my best friends had the sets on VHS and then replaced them with a set on DVD, including the five movies. So he gave me the VHS versions, which I occasionally watch still. I have watched the original subtitled Space Battleship Yamato on youtube to catch what was edited out in StarBlazers airings in the US. Was enthralled to see that the "old man" on Beeland was actually blasted away by Queen Melina, and that the bee people were ground up to make the "Royal Bee Jelly". Both of those things were cut out of StarBlazers. Crypt being shot was also edited out of StarBlazers, but you at least get to see that in the one movie. Could go on and on, but you probably know all of this.  :nod:

Stephane Dumas

I completely forgot to mention these ones
-Speed Racer

-Kimba the white lion known in French speaking communities as "Le Roi Léo"

-UFO Robot Grendizer alias Goldorak in France, French Canada, Belgium

-Captain Harlock aka Albator. Urban legends and rumors mentionned then Harlock was changed to Albator because it sounded too much and too close to Captain Haddock, a character from the Franco-Belgium comic book series, the Adventures of Tintin.

I also got some Gundam Wing and G-Gundam DVD

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: NE2 on January 09, 2012, 03:16:30 AM

I'll admit, this made me laugh. (I minored in chemistry and I was briefly a bioanalytical scientist.)

I used to watch anime when I was younger, but I don't watch nearly as much now.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 09, 2012, 11:57:32 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 09, 2012, 03:16:30 AM

I'll admit, this made me laugh. (I minored in chemistry and I work in a pharmacy now, but I have been an analytical scientist.)

I used to watch anime when I was younger, but I don't watch nearly as much now.

Same on both points. I only watched anime for a brief period in college. The two I remember the most are Cyber Formula Grand Prix (imagine Speed Racer, Knight Rider and F1 all mixed together) and Elfen Lied, which I remember for its extreme, over-the-top violence more than anything.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Tom89t

Stephane Dumas

Here a classic moment from School Rumble

DeaconG

What?  No Robotech (aka Super Dimension Fortress Macross/Super Dimension Fortress Southern Cross/Genesis Climber Mospeada) viewers here?

It changed my view of cartoons forever...after that, American cartoons just weren't anything to watch (until I discovered Justice League Unlimited a couple of years ago on YouTube)...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Darkchylde

Most of my anime intake as of late has come in the form of Abridged Series on Youtube.

Desert Man

I "dived in" deep to find an Anime topic thread...and it's a year old, but here it goes.

I'm kinda a fan of some anime shows: Ghost in the Shell, Code Geass, Inuyasha, FMA, FLCL, PAC, Sailor Moon, Naruto, Bleach, Trinity Blood, Case Closed and Death Note.

The quality of anime has improved over the decades, I also remember watching classic anime shows such as Mysterious Cities of Gold, Noozles and Mapletown as a child when they aired on Nickelodeon.

Hatsune Miku rules! She's a global sensation...one of the best things anime has even produced. Other vocaloids such as Luka Meregrine who has the "voice of gold".
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

vdeane

Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura for me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

Being a Megaman fan, the various Rockman anime have naturally appealed to me. I've also in the past watched Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

But my interest in anime in general has waned as I've gotten older. I've matured beyond watching cartoons in any context that isn't nostalgia-driven.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

OracleUsr

Quote from: deanej on February 16, 2013, 02:10:07 PM
Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura for me.

Loved both of those.  For a long time I abbreviated the senshi names and made computer names out of them.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Billy F 1988

For some oddball reason, I have become, not attached per se, but more in tuned with Sailor Moon and Wedding Peach. More odd is that I have Wedding Peach Volume 8, that for which I think was from season 2 (episodes 51-56). Though, before diving into my Moonie and Peachy phase, I actually watched a good deal of Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, Elfen Lied, Transformers: Armada and the Dragonball series on and off.

I have to admit, though, Elfen Lied (pardon the slip of tone) is scary as shit. That poor girl got herself in the grasp of that devilish bitch that tore her nearly to pieces. I'm just glad it didn't behead her! Ugh! Worst thing possible. I would not want to have seen that.

I'm not too fond of Beyblade Metal Masters and Pokemon Black and White Rival Destinies. I mean, the graphics are great and the voice talent is excellent, but I think it's leaning quite a bit to the much younger audience and I'm 25. Shows like Beyblade and Pokemon are meant for 7-16 year demographics, not 18-32 year demos.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Desert Man

Toonami has returned and so has Tenchi Muyo with a new version of the 1990's/2000's era series...and I seen Soul Eater (brand new to me) last night.

Edit: I forgot to mentioned I liked Samurai Champloo and YoYoHakushu to an extent.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

ilvny

I like Hetalia and Ouran High School Host Club."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetalia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouran_High_School_Host_Club

I also like this quote that voice actor Vic Mignogna (Greece in Hetalia, Tamaki in Ouran High School Host Club, Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist) said at multiple anime conventions:

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Mike D boy on February 24, 2013, 09:22:02 AM
Toonami has returned and so has Tenchi Muyo with a new version of the 1990's/2000's era series...and I seen Soul Eater (brand new to me) last night.

Edit: I forgot to mentioned I liked Samurai Champloo and YoYoHakushu to an extent.

You mean YuYu Hakusho?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Desert Man

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on February 26, 2013, 04:42:54 PM
Quote from: Mike D boy on February 24, 2013, 09:22:02 AM

You mean YuYu Hakusho?

Yes, that's the one, pardon my erroneous post with the wrong vowels (LOL). I watched Code Lyoko a few years back, but not considered an anime despite the Japanese theme and was produced in France. French-produced cartoons done well in other parts of the world alike American-made and Japanese-made animation (Anime).

Desert Man

'Krieger des Lichts' (translation 'Warrior of Light') featuring scenes of the Sailor Moon series with subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vKH4-mesWDw#!

Sailor Moon character tribute to who rules the waves: Sailor Mercury.

I happen to have her hair style, the blue eyes and similar face structure. Imagine if it was I sailor Mercury in her transformation as a male.

Playing in the viral soundtrack: Eiffel 65 - 'Blue'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huQjuOy42FU

here's a tribute to Sailor Jupiter, sung by no other than Shania Twain: "Man, I feel like a woman!"  is not a song for any man to sing aloud when someone catches you about "being a woman". ROFL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyMxFqUELlc

Stephane Dumas

Now then you mention it, I spotted Sailor Venus tribute with Bananarama's song "Venus". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOr51ayyV0o

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.