News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Southeast / Re: Florida
Last post by D-Dey65 - April 22, 2024, 03:19:56 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 04, 2024, 01:35:00 PM
Quote from: formulanone on April 04, 2024, 08:47:03 AMThis is the first reference to SR 516 that I've seen...is it part of a proposed beltway for Clermont or just a connector between US 27 and SR 429? Seems to be a puzzling location for now.
Just a connector. US 27 has gone to shit and there are no good connections to 429 between 192 and 50.
This is why US 27 should be upgraded into a limited-access highway at least between US 192 and 50, instead of building all the other crap they're building around there. I'd almost consider extending the upgrade to I-4.

Now, I want to discuss another part of Florida; Boulogne, Florida.

1)I've become suspicious that a vacant lot on the northwest corner of US 1-23-301 and Church Street was the site of the original Florida Welcome Center before I-95 was built. Does anybody have proof of that?

2)Boulogne hasn't been an incorporated community since 1968, but for some reason Google Maps marks a private house along Church Street as city hall.

Sports / Re: Hockey
Last post by Henry - April 22, 2024, 03:16:58 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 22, 2024, 01:43:12 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on April 21, 2024, 07:13:56 PMI see this hasn't been posted in for almost two months. It's playoff time again...

Yeah, let's see if the Stanley Cup will return in Canada after 30 years.
Actually, it's been 31 years now, with the 1993 Montreal Canadiens being the last of their kind to win the Cup. That was a banner year for sports in Canada, as the Toronto Blue Jays repeated as World Series champions in October.
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by GaryV - April 22, 2024, 03:15:33 PM
Who really wants their currency to look like Monopoly money?
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by GaryV - April 22, 2024, 03:11:00 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2024, 06:56:23 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 22, 2024, 05:00:37 AMStrange women who you don't know who start following you on Twitter.

Psst.  They aren't real...

They're all somebody's X's   :)
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by J N Winkler - April 22, 2024, 02:46:07 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 18, 2024, 03:21:35 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 18, 2024, 12:50:20 PMSimilarly, places where you CAN'T book an appointment online. My doctor recently retired, so I needed to find a new practice to get a physical. Almost no doctor's offices near me let me book appointments online.

Agreed in general, but doctor's offices feel like a potential the exception to the rule. They usually have fairly rigorous approval and sign up processes for new patients (if they're even accepting them at all) so it makes sense they would want to speak to you first and verify personal information etc.

I think most primary-care physicians force new patients to jump through more hoops because initial appointments take much longer.

Since I was long overdue for a first screening colonoscopy, I had to make an appointment with a new PCP after a 14-year hiatus of not interacting with any medical professionals at all.  I started right after New Year's Day 2023 by booking an appointment online.  It was cancelled almost immediately because I was not on the books and so needed to obtain a new-patient appointment.  When I called (using IM relay), the first available slot was in September.  I took it.  After a month or two, I was offered the chance to rebook for May.

I was able to handle the logistics for the colonoscopy itself (eventually scheduled for September) mostly by email, but had to start the process with a telephone call.

The only medical professional I've worked with that has accepted an online booking as the first contact is my optometrist.

Quote from: dlsterner on April 19, 2024, 01:55:08 AMTo be (somewhat) fair, a workaround is to click the place in (say) Google Maps, and check the photos there and check the "Menu" or "Vibe" section for useful photos. But those pics could be quite dated.

I had this experience with a Peruvian restaurant I tried last weekend--Google has at least three different versions of their menu.  I had to use photo timestamps (not sure whether these are shown in mobile interfaces) to determine which was most recent.

Quote from: hbelkins on April 22, 2024, 01:18:49 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2024, 06:56:23 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 22, 2024, 05:00:37 AMStrange women who you don't know who start following you on Twitter.

Psst.  They aren't real...

No joke, I've picked up dozens of them as followers and I'm too lazy to go in and block them all.

I have a particular antipathy to lonelyhearts scams, so I don't just block them--I report them as they come in.  It's been quite a while since the last one.
General Highway Talk / Re: What's the Closest Interst...
Last post by cockroachking - April 22, 2024, 02:44:54 PM
I-291 and I-391 in the Springfield, MA, area for me.

I-878 in Queens for unsigned routes.
Traffic Control / Re: The road sign city name ph...
Last post by cockroachking - April 22, 2024, 02:42:43 PM
Back to Virginia:
Edinburg, OH > Goshen, VA

VA-252 SB south of Middlebrook
Off-Topic / Re: Business Marquees which fe...
Last post by cockroachking - April 22, 2024, 02:32:35 PM
9W Truck & Auto in Lloyd, NY

I swear I remember something along US-9W with an interstate shield, but maybe I'm hallucinating.
Southeast / Re: Interstate 42
Last post by nerdom - April 22, 2024, 02:31:24 PM
yes. the businesses on the service roads all stated that one way roads would inconvenience too much. people here hated when a couple of intersections went to reduced conflict some years back. but, a few portions of the new service roads are complete and they look great. gone are the narrow, curbless roads with giant ditches, replaced with wide city-like streets that are curbed and guttered. gives the whole area an improved look.
Traffic Control / Re: 1-2-3 Route number Additio...
Last post by hotdogPi - April 22, 2024, 02:01:22 PM
Crediting greensborodailyphoto.com

1459 = I-840 + US 421 + I-85 + I-73 + I-40

Sourced from https://www.greensborodailyphoto.com/2020/06/i-40-big-highway.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.