News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

I think they are.  All of the recent installations in Burke are not only mast arm, but the more decorative hunter green curved masts.  See all the new signals on the Enola Road project.

LM117

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 21, 2017, 08:31:08 PM
There sure must be a major traffic need if NCDOT is upgrading US 74 and building a tollway bypass of it at the same time.

My tinfoil hat had initially thought that NCDOT would leave US-74 as-is as a way of encouraging would-be shunpikers to take the toll road.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

WashuOtaku

For those who wanted to know when NCDOT was going to make the US 17 route change, which was approved by AASHTO, happen, it has now happened.  Here is the paperwork: https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2017_05_17.pdf

US 17 officially returns through Wilmington, along a different route; I-140/NC 140 is now its own thing.  Signage will probably be up soon, if not already.

Roadsguy

What's the new routing of US 17?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

froggie

Pages 15-16 of the "paperwork" Washu linked to describes it.  Page 60 has a map.

epzik8

Man, I really want I-140 to be extended out to west of Wilmington as soon as possible to expedite the trip for those taking U.S. 17 through Brunswick County to the Myrtle Beach area. I guess that's a few years away, though.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

WashuOtaku

Quote from: epzik8 on June 25, 2017, 09:39:14 AM
Man, I really want I-140 to be extended out to west of Wilmington as soon as possible to expedite the trip for those taking U.S. 17 through Brunswick County to the Myrtle Beach area. I guess that's a few years away, though.

Construction on the gap section is to be completed in November of this year.  I expect NCDOT will submit a request to sign the entire route in the Fall AASHTO meeting in October for it.

LM117

Quote from: WashuOtaku on June 25, 2017, 11:16:30 AM
Quote from: epzik8 on June 25, 2017, 09:39:14 AM

Construction on the gap section is to be completed in November of this year.  I expect NCDOT will submit a request to sign the entire route in the Fall AASHTO meeting in October for it.

According to NCDOT's progress report page, the completion date was changed to June 2018.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on June 25, 2017, 11:23:24 AM
According to NCDOT's progress report page, the completion date was changed to June 2018.

Well shit.

TimQuiQui

Included in today's NCDOT STIP announcement:

"Widening of I-85 from U.S. 74 to the South Carolina line in Gaston and Cleveland counties" (Division 11) and "I-85 Widening between west of U.S. 70 in Orange County to Durham." (Division 7) is now included in the STIP. Once completed, I-85 in NC will be a minimum of 6 lanes for the first marked 179 miles, from the SC line to north of Durham. Only the northernmost 55 miles of 85 in NC will be 4 lanes.

Additionally, by the time this project is complete, SCDOT is scheduled to have finished widening their stretch of 85 from Exit 80 to the state line. This would leave just 70 miles of four-laned I-85 between Charlotte and Atlanta (GA Mile 129 with current widening project to SC Mile 19). As someone who drives this stretch a lot, I can not express how welcome a relief this will be though the missing Georgia segment is particularly annoying due to the numerous hills that slows trucks way down on the stretch.

On an unrelated source of amusement, here is the Div. 12 release with placeholder text accidentally included

The accelerated projects include:
- Widening N.C. 105 from Clarks Creek Road to N.C. 105 Bypass in Watauga County by two years, from date to date;
- Modernizing Oakwoods Road from U.S. 421 to Main Street in Wilkes County, from date to date; and
- Widening N.C. 115 from U.S. 421 to Second Street in Wilkes County, from date to date.

Jmiles32

http://www.robesonian.com/news/100495/states-10-year-plan-includes-widening-i-95-to-8-lanes
Although its almost a decade away, it looks like NC will finally start widen I-95 to not only six, but eight lanes in two sections between Lumberton and Fayetteville and Dunn and I-40  Hopefully this inspire VA to do something similar with I-81
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

LM117

Quote from: Jmiles32 on June 30, 2017, 09:11:53 PM
http://www.robesonian.com/news/100495/states-10-year-plan-includes-widening-i-95-to-8-lanes
Although its almost a decade away, it looks like NC will finally start widen I-95 to not only six, but eight lanes in two sections between Lumberton and Fayetteville and Dunn and I-40  Hopefully this inspire VA to do something similar with I-81

Don't hold your breath...

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on June 30, 2017, 09:47:49 PM

You are talking about a state where Interstates from North Carolina stop before entering... I-73, I-74 and soon I-87.

LM117

Quote from: WashuOtaku on July 01, 2017, 01:31:16 PM

You are talking about a state where Interstates from North Carolina stop before entering... I-73, I-74 and soon I-87.

Don't forget I-785, since VA has no plans to upgrade US-29 in Danville.

The Ghostbuster

It seems no other state wants anything to do with the Interstates North Carolina is building. Does that prove those Interstates are pure pork?

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 01, 2017, 01:49:46 PM
It seems no other state wants anything to do with the Interstates North Carolina is building. Does that prove those Interstates are pure pork?

It just means that North Carolina borders on Virginia, which doesn't seem to have much of an appetite for anything outside defined metro areas (particularly in the north) these days.  The state/local jurisdictional arrangement in VA is different (commonwealth with functionally autonomous internal divisions) than NC (more conventional incorporated cities with regional MPO cooperatives as needed).  There's much more cooperation at state & local levels in NC; if a project is seen as benefiting the region, it stands a significantly greater chance of getting broad support across official strata than with VA, which tends to pit one metro area against another for allocation of statewide resources, with Northern Virginia (and occasionally Richmond/Petersburg or Hampton Roads) getting most of the developmental activity due to sheer population dominance.  The demand within a specific region tends to override any impetus for activities between those regions.  Of course, this places projects seen as providing benefits shared with other states ( i.e. I-73, I-87) at the very rear of that back shelf. 

Beltway

Quote from: sparker on July 01, 2017, 02:20:22 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 01, 2017, 01:49:46 PM
It just means that North Carolina borders on Virginia, which doesn't seem to have much of an appetite for anything outside defined metro areas (particularly in the north) these days.  The state/local jurisdictional arrangement in VA is different (commonwealth with functionally autonomous internal divisions) than NC (more conventional incorporated cities with regional MPO cooperatives as needed).  There's much more cooperation at state & local levels in NC; if a project is seen as benefiting the region, it stands a significantly greater chance of getting broad support across official strata than with VA, which tends to pit one metro area against another for allocation of statewide resources, with Northern Virginia (and occasionally Richmond/Petersburg or Hampton Roads) getting most of the developmental activity due to sheer population dominance.  The demand within a specific region tends to override any impetus for activities between those regions.  Of course, this places projects seen as providing benefits shared with other states ( i.e. I-73, I-87) at the very rear of that back shelf. 

It's not like Virginia didn't already build 4-lane interregional highways with town/city bypasses to the state line on all of those proposed routes already --
US-29  [785]
US-220  [73]
US-17  [87]

Interstate --
I-77  [74]
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadsguy

To be fair, does 785 really even need to go beyond the interchange with 58 at the state line?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Strider

Quote from: WashuOtaku on July 01, 2017, 01:31:16 PM

Technically I-74 is complete in Virginia as it is to follow I-77 entirely from West VA state line to NC state line. Virginia did not sign I-74 along I-77 for some reason.

Beltway

Quote from: Strider on July 01, 2017, 06:17:05 PM
Technically I-74 is complete in Virginia as it is to follow I-77 entirely from West VA state line to NC state line. Virginia did not sign I-74 along I-77 for some reason.

Why should they?  NC only has about 8 miles signed south of the border, and WV has no segment of I-74 built.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Strider

Quote from: Beltway on July 01, 2017, 06:36:56 PM

Why should they?  NC only has about 8 miles signed south of the border, and WV has no segment of I-74 built.

Wrong. I-74 starts/ends at NC border with I-77 and then splits from I-77 and then "ends" at US 52.. that is 17 miles. They could have signed it at least to I-81.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Strider on July 01, 2017, 06:53:36 PM

Wrong. I-74 starts/ends at NC border with I-77 and then splits from I-77 and then "ends" at US 52.. that is 17 miles. They could have signed it at least to I-81.

Pretty sure he meant 8 miles independent of I-77...

While there isn't any harm in Virginia signing it to I-81 or even to WV, not sure it benefits Virginia drivers that much.

Beltway

No reason to.  No need.  No one consulted with them first.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

LM117

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 01, 2017, 05:29:20 PM
To be fair, does 785 really even need to go beyond the interchange with 58 at the state line?

Not really, but Danville is insisting that I-785 follow the length of the US-29 freeway and end at the US-29/US-29 Business split near Blairs.

Thing is, the Danville bypass does not meet interstate standards because the ramp merges at most of the interchanges are too short and the at-grade Elizabeth Street access will need to be closed or grade separated. VDOT has no plans to upgrade US-29. US-29 in NC between the state line and Reidsville is already interstate standard with a 70mph speed limit. Speed limit drops to 65mph as soon as you cross into VA.

Considering VA's attitude toward new interstates, I don't think I-785 will ever make it north of the US-58 interchange at the state line. VDOT removed the "Future I-785" signs a long time ago and just now re-posted those signs after much whining from Danville.

Strider

Quote from: Beltway on July 01, 2017, 07:51:11 PM

No reason to.  No need.  No one consulted with them first.

No one consulted with them first? Find me a fact where no one consulted them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.