News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 16, 2017, 01:00:26 PM
pilotonline.com: New Bonner Bridge is bigger, stronger, taller and able to withstand the worst OBX climate offers
QuoteThe $250 million span 2.8 miles long is built to last a century. Engineers ran the design through more than 100,000 computer simulations of the 45 worst storms to strike the Outer Banks in the past 160 years. The models included the worst possible inlet currents, the biggest waves and highest water levels. They even accounted for a big, out-of-control barge slamming into its supports.

Much deeper foundations, much stronger reinforced concrete structures, overall length 1/2 mile more.

One of the criticisms was that it was too hostile an environment for a bridge.  I would disagree, as it is a matter of having robust enough engineering and enough length to handle any movement of the inlet.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on July 16, 2017, 03:18:46 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 16, 2017, 01:00:26 PM
pilotonline.com: New Bonner Bridge is bigger, stronger, taller and able to withstand the worst OBX climate offers
QuoteThe $250 million span 2.8 miles long is built to last a century. Engineers ran the design through more than 100,000 computer simulations of the 45 worst storms to strike the Outer Banks in the past 160 years. The models included the worst possible inlet currents, the biggest waves and highest water levels. They even accounted for a big, out-of-control barge slamming into its supports.

Much deeper foundations, much stronger reinforced concrete structures, overall length 1/2 mile more.

One of the criticisms was that it was too hostile an environment for a bridge.  I would disagree, as it is a matter of having robust enough engineering and enough length to handle any movement of the inlet.

Though it has been struck a few times by errant vessels, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, which stands in what amounts to open ocean, has survived just fine so far.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

orulz

Updated and more detailed drawings are finally available for the I-440 beltline rebuild in west Raleigh. https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-440improvements

The only place where there is any significant decision remaining is over the Wade-440 interchange, with three alternatives (including one with double flyovers) still on the table.

TimQuiQui

NCDOT has released their YouTube visualization for the East John/Old Monroe widening project in my hometown of Matthews and Indian Trail and, my goodness, this is SUPERSTREET MADNESS

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/EastJohnOldMonroe/

The stretch of road in question is about 6 miles or so and I counted about 24 U-turn pullouts. Three major road cross junctions look like they're going to be converted to right turn only junctions for the intersecting roads. This makes zero sense to me. First off, East John runs parellel to US 74,which lies just a mile east. Between this and the Monroe Expressway, I do not understand why we need to have three major arterial roads heading north south in the vicinity even if Indian Trail is growing quickly. Then to impede traffic on all the major east-west roads is another questionable decision. Potter in particular is a road I would actually consider more important than John due to it's connection from Matthews to Wesley Chapel and Waxhaw. A lot of roads in the county are being converted to roundabout intersections. No idea why superstreets are all the rage but it boggles my mind.

fillup420

Quote from: TimQuiQui on July 20, 2017, 12:30:30 AM
NCDOT has released their YouTube visualization for the East John/Old Monroe widening project in my hometown of Matthews and Indian Trail and, my goodness, this is SUPERSTREET MADNESS

The stretch of road in question is about 6 miles or so and I counted about 24 U-turn pullouts. Three major road cross junctions look like they're going to be converted to right turn only junctions for the intersecting roads. This makes zero sense to me. First off, East John runs parellel to US 74,which lies just a mile east. Between this and the Monroe Expressway, I do not understand why we need to have three major arterial roads heading north south in the vicinity even if Indian Trail is growing quickly. Then to impede traffic on all the major east-west roads is another questionable decision. Potter in particular is a road I would actually consider more important than John due to it's connection from Matthews to Wesley Chapel and Waxhaw. A lot of roads in the county are being converted to roundabout intersections. No idea why superstreets are all the rage but it boggles my mind.

I live in Matthews. The townspeople are furious with NCDOT, as nobody wants the superstreet to be built. Everyone agrees that John Street from downtown Matthews to I-485 has traffic issues, but the project will not solve the problem without ruining the vibe of the town. In my opinion, thru-traffic needs to be directed (or forced) onto US 74, which is already built or slated to be built into an expressway.

I can't believe that anyone at NCDOT would think a 4-lane superstreet with a full median and u-turn areas and a SPEED LIMIT OF 50 (double what it is now!) is a good fix for the 4-to-2 lane road through Matthews currently.

Rothman

If everyone was against it, it wouldn't have come out unscathed from public review.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mileage Mike

Quote from: fillup420 on July 20, 2017, 11:41:20 AM
Quote from: TimQuiQui on July 20, 2017, 12:30:30 AM

I live in Matthews. The townspeople are furious with NCDOT, as nobody wants the superstreet to be built. Everyone agrees that John Street from downtown Matthews to I-485 has traffic issues, but the project will not solve the problem without ruining the vibe of the town. In my opinion, thru-traffic needs to be directed (or forced) onto US 74, which is already built or slated to be built into an expressway.

I can't believe that anyone at NCDOT would think a 4-lane superstreet with a full median and u-turn areas and a SPEED LIMIT OF 50 (double what it is now!) is a good fix for the 4-to-2 lane road through Matthews currently.

I agree. Turning John St. into a superstreet would be like turning Tryon into an expressway through Uptown Charlotte.

HazMatt

Quote from: Rothman on July 20, 2017, 12:28:17 PM
If everyone was against it, it wouldn't have come out unscathed from public review.

"But the plans were on display..."
"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."
"That's the display department."
"With a flashlight."
"Ah, well, the lights had probably gone."
"So had the stairs."
"But look, you found the notice, didn't you?"
"Yes,"  said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "˜Beware of the Leopard."

sparker

Quote from: HazMatt on July 20, 2017, 06:45:42 PM

"With a flashlight."
"So had the stairs."
"Yes,"  said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "˜Beware of the Leopard."

I'm trying my damnedest to remember where the above comedic exchange came from, to no avail -- whether it be TV show, Python, Firesign Theatre, or other comedy troupe.  Please enlighten us as to its origin!

noelbotevera

Quote from: sparker on July 21, 2017, 03:31:39 PM

"With a flashlight."
"So had the stairs."

I'm trying my damnedest to remember where the above comedic exchange came from, to no avail -- whether it be TV show, Python, Firesign Theatre, or other comedy troupe.  Please enlighten us as to its origin!
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, from 1972 (I believe).

sparker

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 21, 2017, 03:41:08 PM
Quote from: sparker on July 21, 2017, 03:31:39 PM

"With a flashlight."
"So had the stairs."

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, from 1972 (I believe).

Thanks!  Haven't perused that for at least 30+ years; IIRC I've got a copy in my storage space; will have to look for it at some point.  Sounds almost Pythonesque in its syntax and the insertion of the unexpected factor (the leopard reference); I would have obsessively gone through my M.P. LP's trying to find it; you saved me and my stylus a lot of trouble and wear!

ARMOURERERIC

There is also a plan to convert NC 150 between NC16 and I77 to a superstreet, the simulated ariel video is crazy, but this will act as a fledgeling outer loop of Charlotte.

fillup420

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 21, 2017, 09:37:05 PM
There is also a plan to convert NC 150 between NC16 and I77 to a superstreet, the simulated ariel video is crazy, but this will act as a fledgeling outer loop of Charlotte.
I have seen this too, and NC 150 definitely needs some improvement. The increase in lake traffic is getting to be too much for the current road. I travel on 150 frequently, and a 4-lane highway would be nice.

LM117

Since we're on the subject of widening roads, I would like to add NC-86 between Danville and Hillsborough to the list. It carries a good deal of traffic for a rural 2-lane road, especially semis.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on July 22, 2017, 10:24:12 AM
Since we're on the subject of widening roads, I would like to add NC-86 between Danville and Hillsborough to the list. It carries a good deal of traffic for a rural 2-lane road, especially semis.
Long-term plans are to turn NC 86 into an 4-lane expressway between the 2 cities. How long this will be is uncertain. There is no project to widen the road north of Hillsborough in the 2018-2027 Draft STIP.

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on July 22, 2017, 10:39:25 AM
Quote from: LM117 on July 22, 2017, 10:24:12 AM
Long-term plans are to turn NC 86 into an 4-lane expressway between the 2 cities. How long this will be is uncertain. There is no project to widen the road north of Hillsborough in the 2018-2027 Draft STIP.

Not surprising that it's not in the STIP given other needs in the state, but I'm glad it's on the books at least. A lot of truck traffic uses NC-86 to get to the Triangle from US-29 and vice-versa. It sucks getting caught up in convoys.

I know 4-laning rural highways is often frowned upon in this forum, especially where NC is involved, but NC-86 definitely needs it.

The first section that needs to be widened, IMO, is between Danville and Yanceyville.

bob7374

NCDOT may open I-785 section of Greenboro Urban Loop from US 70 to US 29 as early as October (probably explains the appearance of I-785 signs in recent months at I-85/I-40/Loop interchange). The western section from I-73/Bryan Blvd to US 220/Battleground Rd should be open by the end of the year. This article talks about those projects and others in the Greensboro area:
http://www.greensboro.com/news/government/new-spending-plan-focuses-on-wrapping-up-big-projects/article_63aac2ec-6f3f-11e7-9bda-cbda4605090b.html

plain

Quote from: bob7374 on July 24, 2017, 11:59:26 AM
NCDOT may open I-785 section of Greenboro Urban Loop from US 70 to US 29 as early as October (probably explains the appearance of I-785 signs in recent months at I-85/I-40/Loop interchange). The western section from I-73/Bryan Blvd to US 220/Battleground Rd should be open by the end of the year. This article talks about those projects and others in the Greensboro area:
http://www.greensboro.com/news/government/new-spending-plan-focuses-on-wrapping-up-big-projects/article_63aac2ec-6f3f-11e7-9bda-cbda4605090b.html

I wonder how far down the road will NCDOT secure funding to begin upgrading US 29 to interstate standards? I know I-785 has been on the radar for a long time now but it seems to be getting nowhere outside of the loop
Newark born, Richmond bred

ARMOURERERIC

Do you foresee US 220 being routed along the south/west sides of the Greensboro loop one the next segment opens?

With I-74 to follow the east loop of the WS beltway, what will happen with the stub of the current I-74 north of I-40?

sparker

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 24, 2017, 01:00:54 PM
Do you foresee US 220 being routed along the south/west sides of the Greensboro loop one the next segment opens?

With I-74 to follow the east loop of the WS beltway, what will happen with the stub of the current I-74 north of I-40?

Given NCDOT's tendency to continue to sign US routes along their original alignments when a parallel Interstate freeway is deployed, it would be probable that US 220 will continue along its present routing through Greensboro.  The multiplexing of US 220 with I-73/74 along the N-S segment south of Greensboro is something of an anomaly within the state; unless the newer freeway sits atop or immediately adjacent to the original highway, the original number is retained on the original alignment.  The only "stub" currently signed as I-74 in greater WS is actually south of I-40, multiplexed with US 311.  Once the E loop is opened, it's probably that the stub will revert back to US 311 -- although it's more than likely the EB I-40 BGS's will include "TO I-74 EAST" along with the US 311 reference, as the distance between the present route's I-40 divergence and the location of the loop is only about 3 miles.

LM117

Quote from: plain on July 24, 2017, 12:52:11 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on July 24, 2017, 11:59:26 AM

I wonder how far down the road will NCDOT secure funding to begin upgrading US 29 to interstate standards? I know I-785 has been on the radar for a long time now but it seems to be getting nowhere outside of the loop

Probably not for at least 10 years. I-785 is pretty far down their list compared with other much needed upgrades, such as the US-70/Future I-42 corridor. US-29 between Reidsville and the VA state line is already interstate standard with a 70mph speed limit. The remaining section between Reidsville and the Greensboro loop shouldn't be too difficult to upgrade. I know Danville has been kicking and screaming for I-785 to get done.

Strider

US 220 will not be routed along I-73 and Greensboro loop. US 220 will remain on the current route through Greensboro.

LM117

NCDOT has awarded a contract to install LED lights along major highways throughout the state.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14134

QuoteRALEIGH — It will be a brighter drive along many interstates and major highways in North Carolina, as a result of a $30.8 million contract awarded by the N.C. Department of Transportation to upgrade more than 10,600 roadway light fixtures at more than 350 locations across the state.

In addition to improved lighting, the agreement with Trane U.S. Inc. and J. Brady Contracting, Inc. will also save the state money, as it is expected to result in more than $56 million in reduced electrical and maintenance costs over the 15-years. That savings will primarily come from switching from existing high intensity roadway lights to longer-lasting and lower-maintenance LED lights.

Improvements are planned for lights along such interstates as I-95, I-40, I-77 and I-85, as well as I-440 and 540, and the Triangle Expressway in the Raleigh-Durham area, I-485 and I-277 in Charlotte, I-73/74 in the Triad, and I-240 and I-26 around Asheville. Several non-interstate highways around the state will also see lighting improvements.

The contract also calls for upgrading more than 12,000 building lights, including those at rest stops and visitor centers around the state, in addition to weigh stations and NCDOT county maintenance facilities.

The project includes the installation of a lighting and control system that will not only support the maintenance of the lights, but it will also save and measure energy usage and lower costs.

Construction work is scheduled to start in September of 2017, with the initial locations still being determined. The light and equipment installation should wrap up in November 2018.

froggie

Quote from: sparker on July 24, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Given NCDOT's tendency to continue to sign US routes along their original alignments when a parallel Interstate freeway is deployed, it would be probable that US 220 will continue along its present routing through Greensboro.

US 421 would like to talk to you about that...

sparker

Quote from: froggie on July 25, 2017, 09:18:49 AM
Quote from: sparker on July 24, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

Given NCDOT's tendency to continue to sign US routes along their original alignments when a parallel Interstate freeway is deployed, it would be probable that US 220 will continue along its present routing through Greensboro.

US 421 would like to talk to you about that...

Like the English language, there's always an exception to any assumption somewhere (especially with NC signage practices)!  Nevertheless, it's pretty clear that a SB I-73/NB I-85 "loop" of US 421 is preferable to the previous path down the downtown-routed I-40, as it eliminates some surface street running.  But I still think US 220 will retain its present direct route through central Greensboro rather than shift to I-73, which is effectively a western beltway; there's likely some benefit seen to maintaining a moderate level of traffic on the original alignment because of its proximity to centrally-located businesses and other points of interest. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.