News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ugliest route marker?

Started by bugo, November 28, 2013, 08:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

For me, it's the New Jersey turnpike trailblazer, by far.  Whoever thought that thing was a good idea must have been smoking the reef.

hotdogPi

Oversized or Clearview numerals.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Zeffy

Quote from: bugo on November 28, 2013, 08:11:29 PM
For me, it's the New Jersey turnpike trailblazer, by far.  Whoever thought that thing was a good idea must have been smoking the reef.

It's supposed to be a cube apparently. It's nowhere near the ugliest. But I would have to say I'm biased, being from New Jersey and all.

Now, if this is actually the route marker for American Samoa, then it gets my vote.

Honestly, it looks like the tip of a penis. No offense to whoever drew up the vector, I'm just unsure if this is actually a route marker. I hope not. If it isn't a real marker, then nothing gets my vote that isn't horribly manufactured.

Quote from: 1 on November 28, 2013, 08:20:46 PM
Oversized or Clearview numerals.

If there is Clearview anything in a route shield assembly there is a pretty good indication right there that whoever made it is either high as hell or doing crack.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Quote from: Zeffy on November 28, 2013, 08:25:28 PM
Honestly, it looks like the tip of a penis. No offense to whoever drew up the vector, I'm just unsure if this is actually a route marker. I hope not. If it isn't a real marker, then nothing gets my vote that isn't horribly manufactured.

I think this one's pretty ugly.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

theline

Honestly, it looks like the tip of a penis.

Well, that's either the widest or shortest one ever, except maybe for mine.

Q: Does he mean widest or shortest?

A: I'm not telling.

hotdogPi

With the darker green (real-life picture) it's much less obvious.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Zeffy

Quote from: theline on November 28, 2013, 10:39:45 PM
Well, that's either the widest or shortest one ever, except maybe for mine.

Q: Does he mean widest or shortest?

A: I'm not telling.

Well, if you remove the horizontal black line at the bottom and extend the outline to fill... well... yeah, that's pretty much it. I want to say that I don't think it's that wide... but uh... this is going into a suggestive topic.

Quote from: 1 on November 28, 2013, 10:55:21 PM

I would hope if I was driving I would ignore everything but the route number since it's the only information I really need to know, but with my dirty mind, who knows...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cpzilliacus

I strongly disagree. 

The N.J. Turnpike's trailblazer/shield is timeless, distinctive and clear - and the shape is unique. 

My only gripe is the green color, which sometimes tends to "blend in" on BGS panels.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

Some of that is probably the lighting.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dr Frankenstein

I'm not a big fan of the NJTP marker either, but it's not the ugliest.

Big John

My question for Am. Samoa - Why are there leading zeroes on those signs?

NE2

Quote from: Big John on November 29, 2013, 11:07:10 AM
My question for Am. Samoa - Why are there leading zeroes on those signs?
Because Florida.

Mapmikey

Also because Virginia...

Mapmikey

english si

some rule about all route numbers having three digits to not convey importance by number length?

E roads in Eurasia have leading zeros. 01, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 and 09 are 2-digit routes and have them (when they do have them: Spain, Norway, Sweden and Finland certainly drop them, leaving France, Ireland and maybe Portugal actually signing them with the zero) so as to not be single-digit routes and seen as superior. The 001-019 series of 3 digit routes in Asia are basically as they wouldn't fit the zonal pattern of other 3 digit routes. And like 2-digit odd routes 101+, they are later additions (though certainly a few of those are valid - certainly up to 105).

hbelkins

Kentucky's boring circle and the new parkway signage both qualify.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CNGL-Leudimin

European rectangles are also damn boring. I want to see some American-like shields in this side of the pond...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 29, 2013, 04:29:00 PM
European rectangles are also damn boring. I want to see some American-like shields in this side of the pond...

At least the colors are still different. (In the United States, most state routes and US routes are white.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

sammi

Quote from: 1 on November 29, 2013, 04:30:47 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 29, 2013, 04:29:00 PM

At least the colors are still different. (In the United States, most state routes and US routes are white.)

Well, the American and European systems differentiate between route classes differently. American uses marker shapes, European uses colors.

theline

Quote from: NE2 on November 29, 2013, 12:21:53 AM
Some of that is probably the lighting.

Tell me there's a 007. It would be licensed to kill.  :ded: (I checked Google and don't see one.)

bulldog1979

Now, if this is actually the route marker for American Samoa, then it gets my vote.

I think that's supposed to be a native hut indigenous to the islands...

briantroutman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 29, 2013, 12:11:26 AM

I strongly disagree. 

The N.J. Turnpike's trailblazer/shield is timeless, distinctive and clear - and the shape is unique. 

I strongly disagree with your strong disagreement.

Yes, the NJTP shield is unique, but from a design standpoint, it's at best questionable. The shield shape is supposed to be a cube (according to multiple sources–and why a cube?...a cube has no relevance as far as I can tell), yet the oblique projection does not seem to impact any of the other design elements. The interplay between the T and P is mildly interesting, but as a combined form, their interaction with the shield shape is not particularly interesting. The N and J appear tacked on–like an afterthought–and splitting them on opposite sides of the shield weakens the concept of "NJ" being a unit. And as a final insult, "TURNPIKE" cutting through the "TP" adds nothing to the composition, is probably unreadable on anything smaller than the giant ground-mounted signs, and just dilutes a feeble design even further.

So in summary, the NJTP shield is a melange of mixed metaphors, poor composition, and incomplete creative thinking. It's iconic–yes; a symbol of the people of New Jersey–yes. But it's also graphic design approaching its nadir.

Quote from: hbelkins on November 29, 2013, 01:13:29 PM
Kentucky's boring circle and the new parkway signage both qualify.

At least a boring circle is well proportioned and, usually, well executed.

I'm not familiar with all of the Kentucky Parkway signage, but I can't say that I like any that I've seen–current or past. The current signage is an outright embarrassment in all regards. But in all cases (as far as I've seen), the shields are too complex and too wordy. People are flying by at 70+ MPH–a 24 or 36-inch shield is not the place to be showing people detailed line drawings of the state capital dome or spelling out people's names.

bugo

Quote from: briantroutman on November 29, 2013, 10:16:52 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 29, 2013, 12:11:26 AM

I strongly disagree. 

I strongly disagree with your strong disagreement.

Yes, the NJTP shield is unique, but from a design standpoint, it's at best questionable. The shield shape is supposed to be a cube (according to multiple sources–and why a cube?...a cube has no relevance as far as I can tell), yet the oblique projection does not seem to impact any of the other design elements. The interplay between the T and P is mildly interesting, but as a combined form, their interaction with the shield shape is not particularly interesting. The N and J appear tacked on–like an afterthought–and splitting them on opposite sides of the shield weakens the concept of "NJ" being a unit. And as a final insult, "TURNPIKE" cutting through the "TP" adds nothing to the composition, is probably unreadable on anything smaller than the giant ground-mounted signs, and just dilutes a feeble design even further.

So in summary, the NJTP shield is a melange of mixed metaphors, poor composition, and incomplete creative thinking. It's iconic–yes; a symbol of the people of New Jersey–yes. But it's also graphic design approaching its nadir.

Agreed 100%.

formulanone

The NJTP shield does vaguely convey the direction of the route; the forward-facing vertices at the top-right of the cube point diagonally north, and the bottom-left points somewhat towards the opposite direction. At least, that's how I've interpreted it. Unique, but then again, since the other choices in New Jersey are circular (except for the obvious), anything else will stand out.

The current Kentucky parkway signs are quite muddled. Since not many of the parkways intersect, you probably can't confuse them too easily, but as I've read before, they're the product of compromise. Maybe there's a few places where multiple "To foo/bar parkway" signs exist, though.

Alps

I'd agree with KY parkway signs. Then you have Australia, where the route markers are now just a green rectangle with the route number in yellow. It's not particularly ugly, but signing the whole system that way really doesn't do the roads any favors.

How about Kentucky's "teardrop" US shield style? Are we allowed to use shield shape variants as "ugliest of"?

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on November 30, 2013, 09:29:40 AM
How about Kentucky's "teardrop" US shield style? Are we allowed to use shield shape variants as "ugliest of"?

Be my guest. Please. I hate that thing. I don't know where the idea for it came from. Maybe I should ask.

Quote from: formulanone on November 30, 2013, 08:36:05 AM
The current Kentucky parkway signs are quite muddled. Since not many of the parkways intersect, you probably can't confuse them too easily, but as I've read before, they're the product of compromise. Maybe there's a few places where multiple "To foo/bar parkway" signs exist, though.

In Jackson, where I work, I pass a set every day. I'm pretty sure I have a photo.

There might also be some other possibilities in Elizabethtown (BG and WK), Owensboro (Audubon and Natcher) and south of Madisonville (Pennyrile and WK). And I know I've seen "To WK Parkway" signs near where US 68 crosses the Purchase Parkway.

EDIT: Forgot Henderson, with the Audubon and Pennyrile.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.