If you could bring back one traditional highway practice, what would it be?

Started by Alex, January 10, 2014, 04:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you restore as a norm in highway design?

Cutout shields
31 (27%)
Colored shields
8 (7%)
Button Copy signs
9 (7.8%)
Trusses as a bridge standard
1 (0.9%)
Reasonable and Prudent and other pre-1973 Speed Limits
40 (34.8%)
Concrete as the surface for most new roads and highways
16 (13.9%)
Other (state in your post)
10 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 115

PColumbus73

realjd

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 21, 2014, 05:29:22 PM
*  Higher albedo, which facilitates night driving and allows longitudinal joints to be used as lane markers when striping is worn or faded

Or you can be like California and not make sure the lane markings line up with the joints. It's obnoxious because the joints are often easier to see.

agentsteel53

Quote from: realjd on January 22, 2014, 12:31:03 PM

Or you can be like California and not make sure the lane markings line up with the joints. It's obnoxious because the joints are often easier to see.

and keep changing them as the years go by.  the San Bernardino Freeway driving into sunset has at least 6 sets of visible lane stripes.  the intended one is not visible.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

QuoteI'm wondering what you folks prefer about concrete road surfaces. I've generally preferred asphalt because, when maintained correctly, it's usually smoother and quieter, whereas on many concrete roads I find the seams a lot more noticeable to the point where your car makes what I've always thought of as a "clopping noise."
But I love the clopping noise!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

corco

Yeah, it evokes strong feelings of having entered a big city whenever I pass over concrete, even if its just a small overpass in rural Montana.

vdeane

For me it's mostly the opposite; when I was little, the following were the roads we went on with concrete:
-NY 590 between exit 9 (Norton St) and Lake Ontario; resurfaced with asphalt between exit 9 and Titus Ave, rebuilt into Sea Breeze Dr (asphalt) north of there
-NY 390 between exit 21 (NY 31/Lyell Ave) and exit 27 (the parkway); the older section between exits 21 and 24 (NY 104) has been resurfaced with asphalt
-I-490 between exits 9 (I-390/NY 390) and 13 (Inner Loop); since rebuilt with a concrete base and asphalt surface
-I-490 between exits 25 (NY 31F) and the Thruway; between exits 25 and 27 (NY 96/Bushnell's Basin) it's been resurfaced with asphalt, and to the east rebuilt/widened with new concrete
-Thruway between exits 45 (I-490) and 44 (NY 332)
-I-390 south of the Thruway (it now stops at Mount Morris, but used to go down all the way to NY 17)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman

Voted for cutout shields.  As independent Interstate shields are supposed to be cutout by design, it seems logical that US and applicable state routes should be as well.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Molandfreak

Quote from: roadman on January 22, 2014, 06:06:06 PM
Voted for cutout shields.  As independent Interstate shields are cutout by design, it seems logical that US and applicable state routes should be as well.

:bigass:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

theline

The vast majority of new construction I see in Indiana is concrete, including most of I-69 and US-31. Most local projects are concrete too. I agree from personal observation, since I've been around long enough to actually see roads wear out, that concrete is far more durable. I dislike the clomping, but that can be avoided if properly designed and maintained.

Brandon

Voted for cutout shields.  As independent Interstate shields are cutout by design, it seems logical that US and applicable state routes should be as well.

You need to visit Wisconsin sometime.  There is no such thing as a cutout-mounted interstate shield erected within the past 20+ years in the state.  The Cheeseheads are rather famous for their unisigns.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=43.14947,-89.30402&spn=0.009096,0.021136&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=43.149293,-89.30393&panoid=rj1J8B6Nu0ZhL3vkTqfDfQ&cbp=12,26.09,,2,2.44
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

spooky

Quote from: Brandon on January 23, 2014, 09:37:24 AM

You need to visit Wisconsin sometime.  There is no such thing as a cutout-mounted interstate shield erected within the past 20+ years in the state.  The Cheeseheads are rather famous for their unisigns.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=43.14947,-89.30402&spn=0.009096,0.021136&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=43.149293,-89.30393&panoid=rj1J8B6Nu0ZhL3vkTqfDfQ&cbp=12,26.09,,2,2.44

List of things that Wisconsin and Rhode Island have in common:

unisigns
calling water fountains "bubblers" ("bubblahs" if you're in Rhode Island)

myosh_tino

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Alps

Quote from: spooky on January 23, 2014, 09:46:04 AM

List of things that Wisconsin and Rhode Island have in common:

unisigns
calling water fountains "bubblers" ("bubblahs" if you're in Rhode Island)
I think that list is complete.

DaBigE

That's not entirely true anymore... sometime in the last six months, WisDOT has gone on an Alternate Hwy signing binge, which placed a bunch of Alt I-39 signs along US 51 in the Madison area. Sprinked amongst the typical WisDOT "unisigns" (we call them J-assemblies after their bid spec name), are some genuine brand-new cutout interstate shields. :-o
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

In_Correct

I found this poll from here:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20229.0

And I tried to take the poll. I voted "Other". because I share an equal love for Truss Bridges and / or Truss Style bridges as well as Cement Roads. At the same time I do not like high speed limits.

The other options in the poll I am not familiar with.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

NE2

Prioritizing black neighborhoods in freeway location studies.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

thenetwork

Cutout shields:

-  With the state name listed within the I- and US- route shields
  -  On BGS's with a black outline around the US- and SR- shields

And ALL routes are to be listed prominently along Multiplexed byways (no hidden routes) and at all intersections where routes meet (Exception: Indiana, since they put every route known to man on their bypass routes).

Darkchylde

In this order:

Cutout shields
Concrete surfacing
Colored shields

sparker

Real, honest-to-goodness route signage, particularly at junctions (Caltrans, are you listening?).  Don't mind a good "sign salad" if it actually conveys real information about what route is using what street or road, and where the route you're on goes.  I know bucks are tight, but this is a percentage of a percentage of your operating costs.  And while I've got you on the phone (so to speak) -- get your shit together regarding how your signs look -- no undersized numbers crowded into the corner of a shield, no "patching" on stand-along reassurance shields, etc.  Drivers don't really want to squint when trying to discern a sign -- so please do it right at the outset!

roadman

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 22, 2014, 10:04:01 PM

:bigass:
Touche'    Have amended my post.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

brycecordry

Other: Concrete that actually has a sound to it. HATE this new longitudinal grooving and diamond grinding that is being rolled out everywhere, especially across MO. Puts me to sleep the same way asphalt does.
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

mgk920

Quote from: brycecordry on July 28, 2017, 12:30:38 AM
Other: Concrete that actually has a sound to it. HATE this new longitudinal grooving and diamond grinding that is being rolled out everywhere, especially across MO. Puts me to sleep the same way asphalt does.

The longitudinal tining also has a way of catching the treads on my car's tires, making it difficult at times to hold a straight, true line.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.