News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CanesFan27

paulthemapguy

Quote from: hbelkins on December 12, 2016, 02:16:35 PM

What is the age of this sign/photo?  Was it taken in a work zone?  Was it taken on the mainline or a side road?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

hbelkins

This is a sign in the construction zone along IN 37 southbound just prior to where current I-69 begins on the south side of Bloomington. It's temporary, but I thought it was neat and was really surprised to come across it. I almost didn't get the camera out and the picture taken in time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

Last night while driving in the rain in Alexandria, LA what to my wandering eyes do appear? I-49 state-named shields...I counted 3...at the MacArthur interchange. Alas it was dark, it was raining, and the wife & daughter would not have been pleased with the stop. I will try to get a pic next time I'm down there.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bassoon1986

Quote from: cjk374 on December 24, 2016, 10:38:43 AM
Last night while driving in the rain in Alexandria, LA what to my wandering eyes do appear? I-49 state-named shields...I counted 3...at the MacArthur interchange. Alas it was dark, it was raining, and the wife & daughter would not have been pleased with the stop. I will try to get a pic next time I'm down there.

Nearly all of the 49 shields have been replaced with state names. But mostly at approaches to exits and not on the mainline itself.

cjk374

Quote from: bassoon1986 on December 24, 2016, 01:21:25 PM

Nearly all of the 49 shields have been replaced with state names. But mostly at approaches to exits and not on the mainline itself.

My exposure to I-49 is limited. I had no idea any shields had state names. Do you reckon we will ever see mainline shields with Louisiana's name on it? Even I-59 has one on the mainline now.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bassoon1986

Quote from: cjk374 on December 24, 2016, 01:40:02 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on December 24, 2016, 01:21:25 PM

My exposure to I-49 is limited. I had no idea any shields had state names. Do you reckon we will ever see mainline shields with Louisiana's name on it? Even I-59 has one on the mainline now.

Funny you should say this. I found one traveling to Bossier City for Christmas. I-49 has a mainline shield with a state name headed northbound. It is just north of the LA 485 Powhatan/Allen interchange (exit 148).

jakeroot

It's not a reassurance shield, but it does have the state name. It's also not cut-out (**jabs eye with pencil**). Whatever, I'll take it...

This assembly has existed only for a few years. No idea why it's 2di-width (though I do prefer it). Too bad it's not cutout! This would be a great sign.

https://goo.gl/uISB9S

rickmastfan67

Spotted this I-44 OK shield in PA awhile back.  Only recently showed up on StreetView (couldn't get a pic myself since was in the area because of a funeral back then, and haven't been back since).

https://goo.gl/maps/6KCSYMiBHz72

Anthony_JK

Some non-neutered LA I-49 shields have been showing up now in cities along the corridor. There's one now on Union Street (LA 182 North) in Opelousas at the intersection with Vine Street (US 190 eastbound). There's another one at the Creswell Lane interchange with I-49 (Creswell eastbound at the southbound ramp, at the left turn lane going into the onbound ramp to I-49 north). I'm guessing that these non-neuts will appear more and more as signs are replaced. Nothing on the BGS's, though.

MNHighwayMan

A couple months ago I spotted a named I-35W shield on Anoka CR-17/Lexington Ave in Circle Pines. I wasn't driving and my friends wouldn't stop to let me get a picture (we were kind of in a hurry), but I can provide street view.

They're quite rare in Minnesota now. This one's quite the survivor.

Mergingtraffic

Granted, CT is king of state-named shields, but what stands out is the old specs of the I-91 shield.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jmd41280

I-79 WV shield at the intersection of US 19 and WV 100 in Westover...

WV Route 100 southern terminus by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

ekt8750

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on May 24, 2017, 06:56:11 PM

Granted, CT is king of state-named shields, but what stands out is the old specs of the I-91 shield.

Could have done without the Series E numerals on the 691 shield though.

tckma

How about this one?

But... but... I-95 doesn't go through DC!!!

PHLBOS

Quote from: tckma on May 30, 2017, 12:09:37 PM
How about this one?

Oldie but a goodie.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

MNHighwayMan

How about this one?

Ahem... yes it does.

But seriously though, that answers that question I've always had. Are there any other examples of DC-named Interstate shields that are known?

US 89

This is an interesting topic: state named trailblazer shields that lead to an interstate which is in another state-like the DC one above. Almost certainly that leads to I-95 in Maryland, but it says DC on the shield.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadguy2 on May 30, 2017, 06:09:14 PM
This is an interesting topic: state named trailblazer shields that lead to an interstate which is in another state-like the DC one above. Almost certainly that leads to I-95 in Maryland, but it says DC on the shield.

It reminds me of a sign from another thread. I didn't quite understand the problem, 'til someone pointed it out to me. The big green sign below has a California state-named shield on it. This makes sense, because the sign is in California. But, by the time you reach I-5 via US-199, you're in Oregon. So having "California" on the 5 shield is technically incorrect, even though specifications at the time wouldn't have prevented this error from occurring (though I don't remember the specs of the time requiring overhead state named shields -- let's just pretend it was).

Original post: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=87.msg2206782#msg2206782

HTM Duke

Thinking about trip routing for a short excursion down to the Salem - Roanoke area brought back some memories.  All of these were along westbound Selma - Low Moor Rd at the I-64 interchange:

Advance : https://goo.gl/maps/jeMZzhW35W12
I-64 east : https://goo.gl/maps/VhWZPiLwg4y
I-64 west : https://goo.gl/maps/CMSyhrCG2L42

And here's a shield for I-95 south along westbound Lorton Rd:
https://goo.gl/maps/jh6ttASZsB52

In other news, the LWS with the last VA I-395 shield on VA-236 west at I-395 has now been removed.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on May 30, 2017, 08:04:10 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on May 30, 2017, 06:09:14 PM

It reminds me of a sign from another thread. I didn't quite understand the problem, 'til someone pointed it out to me. The big green sign below has a California state-named shield on it. This makes sense, because the sign is in California. But, by the time you reach I-5 via US-199, you're in Oregon. So having "California" on the 5 shield is technically incorrect, even though specifications at the time wouldn't have prevented this error from occurring (though I don't remember the specs of the time requiring overhead state named shields -- let's just pretend it was).

Original post: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=87.msg2206782#msg2206782

Although it's not an interstate shield, the same situation happens in Wendover, UT.
This sign is on the AAroads I-80 west guide.

The sign is in Utah, so it's Utah spec, but the exit is in Nevada. Neither US-93 nor 93A enter Utah.

tckma

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 30, 2017, 01:05:24 PM

Ahem... yes it does.

Well, yes, I knew about THAT, but there's no way to get onto I-95 in DC from any point within DC without crossing into Maryland or Virginia first.  So that would have to lead you first to I-95 in Virginia or in Maryland.  Since it says "North" on the sign, and I took the photo somewhere near Eastern Market (because it was the only DC-named Interstate shield I'd seen before or since), I gather it was pointing drivers toward I-95 in Maryland.  But once you're on I-95 in Maryland, there's no way to get to the DC portion of I-95 by going north, unless, you're the kind of masochist who fancies a complete, counterclockwise trip around the Beltway.

I took that photo in 2008, according to the posting date shown for it in my Facebook photo album.  I wish I remembered where exactly it was, because I can't seem to find it on GMSV.

PHLBOS

Quote from: tckma on June 01, 2017, 06:47:46 PM

Ahem... yes it does.

Well, yes, I knew about THAT, but there's no way to get onto I-95 in DC from any point within DC without crossing into Maryland or Virginia first.  So that would have to lead you first to I-95 in Virginia or in Maryland.  Since it says "North" on the sign, and I took the photo somewhere near Eastern Market (because it was the only DC-named Interstate shield I'd seen before or since), I gather it was pointing drivers toward I-95 in Maryland.  But once you're on I-95 in Maryland, there's no way to get to the DC portion of I-95 by going north, unless, you're the kind of masochist who fancies a complete, counterclockwise trip around the Beltway.

I took that photo in 2008, according to the posting date shown for it in my Facebook photo album.  I wish I remembered where exactly it was, because I can't seem to find it on GMSV.
Given the age of that particular sign (early 70s); it was erected when I-395 was still I-95 and was proposed to continue northward to College Park, MD (I-95/495 interchange).  When the designation changed; that sign was never altered/removed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

US 89

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 02, 2017, 09:14:16 AM
Quote from: tckma on June 01, 2017, 06:47:46 PM

Ahem... yes it does.

Given the age of that particular sign (early 70s); it was erected when I-395 was still I-95 and was proposed to continue northward to College Park, MD (I-95/495 interchange).  When the designation changed; that sign was never altered/removed.

So 95 used to be routed on 395 through DC?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.