News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin boy's visit to Washington

Started by colinstu, June 21, 2014, 08:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: OCGuy81 on December 04, 2014, 01:16:14 PM
This is probably as good a place as any to add a recent Washington observation.  When I was in Portland, I drove into Clark County, WA to meet another friend for dinner.  Not sure if this applies to most of Washington, but at least in Vancouver, WA "Freeway Entrance" signs seemed to be widely used.

"Freeway Entrance" signs are standard across Washington. We don't use all caps Series E(M) like California, opting for (I think) all caps Series D, but you'll find them at all entrances, guaranteed. We even have a variation for Super-2 interchanges, "Highway Entrance".

J N Winkler

Quote from: jakeroot on December 04, 2014, 01:36:39 PM"Freeway Entrance" signs are standard across Washington. We don't use all caps Series E(M) like California, opting for (I think) all caps Series D, but you'll find them at all entrances, guaranteed. We even have a variation for Super-2 interchanges, "Highway Entrance".

Actually, California uses all-caps Series D for its freeway-entrance sign, at least for the vast majority if not all installations.  Older signs tend to have Series D Modified (old Caltrans Series D) while newer ones have plain-vanilla FHWA Series D.

California has a "Toll Crossing Entrance" variant.  Facilities that do not meet the AASHTO definition of freeway, such as US 101 near Klamath, nevertheless have freeway-entrance signs because the trigger is whether the road has standing as a freeway under California law, not whether it meets the agreed national design criteria for a freeway.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 04, 2014, 02:20:22 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 04, 2014, 01:36:39 PM"Freeway Entrance" signs are standard across Washington. We don't use all caps Series E(M) like California, opting for (I think) all caps Series D, but you'll find them at all entrances, guaranteed. We even have a variation for Super-2 interchanges, "Highway Entrance".

Actually, California uses all-caps Series D for its freeway-entrance sign, at least for the vast majority if not all installations.  Older signs tend to have Series D Modified (old Caltrans Series D) while newer ones have plain-vanilla FHWA Series D.

So this is Series D? I always thought it was E. I'm not much of a type expert.

California has a "Toll Crossing Entrance" variant.

I'd love to see that sign. Do you know of any?

Facilities that do not meet the AASHTO definition of freeway, such as US 101 near Klamath, nevertheless have freeway-entrance signs because the trigger is whether the road has standing as a freeway under California law, not whether it meets the agreed national design criteria for a freeway.

I can't find any two-lane expressways, but I'd love to see if California uses "Highway Entrance" or "Freeway Entrance" for the ramps.

EDIT: I retract my previous statement about "Highway Entrance" in Washington for Super-2 roads, Washington seems to use "Freeway Entrance" even with Super-2 interchanges, such as this one near Shelton, Washington. Though "Highway Entrance" is still used, such as along US 2 near Monroe.

dfwmapper

Quote from: jakeroot on December 04, 2014, 02:54:31 PM
I'd love to see that sign. Do you know of any?
Toll Crossing Entrance sign on WB CA 92 heading towards the San Mateo Bridge http://goo.gl/maps/6aRfQ
EB CA 84 heading towards the Dumbarton Bridge http://goo.gl/maps/hzcim and the corresponding sign WB http://goo.gl/maps/GJmZW
One on an entrance ramp to I-680 at the Benicia-Martinez Bridge http://goo.gl/maps/7urBq

J N Winkler

Quote from: jakeroot on December 04, 2014, 02:54:31 PMSo this is Series D? I always thought it was E. I'm not much of a type expert.

Yup--D Modified (old Caltrans Series D) in this case.

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 04, 2014, 02:20:22 PMFacilities that do not meet the AASHTO definition of freeway, such as US 101 near Klamath, nevertheless have freeway-entrance signs because the trigger is whether the road has standing as a freeway under California law, not whether it meets the agreed national design criteria for a freeway.

I can't find any two-lane expressways, but I'd love to see if California uses "Highway Entrance" or "Freeway Entrance" for the ramps.

Here's an example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5232238,-124.0336281,3a,75y,278.95h,76.93t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQ1KdnO_d3ILOVBH6__Z3bw!2e0

This freeway has just two lanes at this point, though it widens to four lanes further south, and has one at-grade crossing (where, curiously, freeway-entrance signs are not used):

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3814892,-123.9950214,3a,75y,13.03h,74.42t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sySN94QFwaVY7UUSDgXrkIQ!2e0

And just for additional interest, here is the standard Caltrans signing treatment for the start of a freeway: Begin Freeway and Emergency Parking Only signs mounted on the same post:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3452084,-124.0301018,3a,75y,38.44h,74.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1svEaGfROn0SVTUUDb7C0dLg!2e0

(There actually should be an End Freeway sign directly opposite, especially with a 35-MPH curve with Moskowitz sign coming up.  The Radar Enforced plaque on the 55 MPH speed limit sign is actively unhelpful since such plaques are usually interpreted as "Road opens up now" based on their typical usage pattern elsewhere in California.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TEG24601

In Washington you will also find "Motorized Vehicles Only" signs on or near the "Freeway Entrance" signs.  However, they are only in places where bicycles are prohibited on the Freeways, which largely is only in the Seattle/Tacoma Metro.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Bruce

This is probably as good a place as any to add a recent Washington observation.  When I was in Portland, I drove into Clark County, WA to meet another friend for dinner.  Not sure if this applies to most of Washington, but at least in Vancouver, WA "Freeway Entrance" signs seemed to be widely used.

They're heavily used in the Seattle metro area too. Not sure why, since the signs are mostly redundant.

colinstu

Are Freeway Entrance signs rare? They're not by every ramp in Milwaukee but I'd say quite a number of them. Especially in areas where entrance ramps are mixed into a grid of normal surface streets and it's not too obvious it's a freeway entrance.

myosh_tino

Quote from: colinstu on December 05, 2014, 01:49:28 AM
Are Freeway Entrance signs rare? They're not by every ramp in Milwaukee but I'd say quite a number of them. Especially in areas where entrance ramps are mixed into a grid of normal surface streets and it's not too obvious it's a freeway entrance.

I believe the practice varies state-to-state.  California has them posted at every freeway on-ramp.  The assembly, shown in the photo jakeroot posted, has a "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign, the route shield, cardinal direction and an arrow pointing to the ramp.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

J N Winkler

Quote from: myosh_tino on December 05, 2014, 03:07:45 AMI believe the practice varies state-to-state.  California has them posted at every freeway on-ramp.  The assembly, shown in the photo jakeroot posted, has a "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign, the route shield, cardinal direction and an arrow pointing to the ramp.

In California every on-ramp receives the Freeway Entrance signing treatment because that, as well as the arrows with two-sided color-coded retroreflective markers and the Do Not Enter/Wrong Way signing package Caltrans uses at off-ramps, is part of the comprehensive solution for wrong-way movements that evolved from a series of studies Caltrans carried out in the early 1960's.

Wrong-way driving events can occur even with simple diamond layouts if a driver is drunk or otherwise incapacitated.  On top of this, California has more problems than other states with simpler interchange layouts because so much of its freeway network was developed before principles of driver expectancy with regard to navigation were clearly articulated.  There are many places on older freeways where the point of access for a return trip is quite far removed from the point of exit for an outward trip.  Moreover, because it was one of the first states to see heavy freeway traffic, a higher proportion of service interchanges on California freeways are of the partial cloverleaf type, with double-loading of on and off ramps at ramp terminals, where even an alert driver can "aim wrong" under conditions of low visibility unless specially prevented from doing so.  The signing packages at freeway ramp terminals were among the first in California to be subject to a whole-face retroreflectivity requirement, and as soon as wide-angle retroreflective sheetings became available, they were required for these signs.

mrsman

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 05, 2014, 12:50:03 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on December 05, 2014, 03:07:45 AMI believe the practice varies state-to-state.  California has them posted at every freeway on-ramp.  The assembly, shown in the photo jakeroot posted, has a "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign, the route shield, cardinal direction and an arrow pointing to the ramp.

In California every on-ramp receives the Freeway Entrance signing treatment because that, as well as the arrows with two-sided color-coded retroreflective markers and the Do Not Enter/Wrong Way signing package Caltrans uses at off-ramps, is part of the comprehensive solution for wrong-way movements that evolved from a series of studies Caltrans carried out in the early 1960's.

Wrong-way driving events can occur even with simple diamond layouts if a driver is drunk or otherwise incapacitated.  On top of this, California has more problems than other states with simpler interchange layouts because so much of its freeway network was developed before principles of driver expectancy with regard to navigation were clearly articulated.  There are many places on older freeways where the point of access for a return trip is quite far removed from the point of exit for an outward trip.  Moreover, because it was one of the first states to see heavy freeway traffic, a higher proportion of service interchanges on California freeways are of the partial cloverleaf type, with double-loading of on and off ramps at ramp terminals, where even an alert driver can "aim wrong" under conditions of low visibility unless specially prevented from doing so.  The signing packages at freeway ramp terminals were among the first in California to be subject to a whole-face retroreflectivity requirement, and as soon as wide-angle retroreflective sheetings became available, they were required for these signs.

And everything that you said above really makes the argument as to why every state should incorporate a Freeway Entrance sign at freeway entrances.  It dramatically helps people find the ramps and avoid wrong-way movements. 

myosh_tino

That's a fascinating explanation as to why California posts Freeway Entrance assemblies at all on-ramps however, I think a couple of points you made in the second paragraph would be better explained with a diagram so I took the time to create some...

There are many places on older freeways where the point of access for a return trip is quite far removed from the point of exit for an outward trip.

a higher proportion of service interchanges on California freeways are of the partial cloverleaf type, with double-loading of on and off ramps at ramp terminals, where even an alert driver can "aim wrong" under conditions of low visibility unless specially prevented from doing so.

How did I do?
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

J N Winkler

Myosh--these are both good illustrations.  The bottom part of the first drawing is a classic Caltrans scissors ramp arrangement.

In regard to the displacement of entry and exit points, this drawing was used in 1962 to illustrate one facet of the problem:

myosh_tino

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 05, 2014, 03:22:53 PM
Myosh--these are both good illustrations.  The bottom part of the first drawing is a classic Caltrans scissors ramp arrangement.

In regard to the displacement of entry and exit points, this drawing was used in 1962 to illustrate one facet of the problem:

Hey, there's an interchange just like that on CA-92 in San Mateo...

NJRoadfan

That type of interchange is also common in the northeast on older freeways/expressways. You either plow down the neighborhood, or build ramps around it.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: myosh_tino on December 05, 2014, 03:07:45 AM
Quote from: colinstu on December 05, 2014, 01:49:28 AM

I believe the practice varies state-to-state.  California has them posted at every freeway on-ramp.  The assembly, shown in the photo jakeroot posted, has a "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign, the route shield, cardinal direction and an arrow pointing to the ramp.

Oregon doesn't use "Freeway Entrance" signs by and large. I know that there are three places where they are used:

• Onramp to I-84 Eastbound at Exit 3, Portland
  • Onramp to I-5 Northbound at Exit 66, Hugo
  • (escapes me at the moment)

With regard to other western states, Washington, California, and Nevada all use "Freeway Entrance" signs on many if not all of their freeway entrances. Washington mounts only the "Freeway Entrance" sign, while California and Nevada use the sign + direction + shield + arrow combination. Idaho only mounts "Freeway Entrance" signs in a couple places that I know of; I-90 has them along its entire length in the Washington style, and I-86 Exit 61 and I-15 Exit 71 in Pocatello have them in the California style. Utah very rarely has them, and Arizona has the California style arrangement minus the "Freeway Entrance" signs in Yuma.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

roadfro

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on December 14, 2014, 12:31:42 AM
With regard to other western states, Washington, California, and Nevada all use "Freeway Entrance" signs on many if not all of their freeway entrances. Washington mounts only the "Freeway Entrance" sign, while California and Nevada use the sign + direction + shield + arrow combination.

Nevada uses freeway entrance signing, as described, on all freeway facilities in the state with one exception: Summerlin Parkway in Las Vegas does not use any freeway entrance signage whatsoever. This is probably partly due to Summerlin Parkway being a city facility which has no highway number.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

J N Winkler

Quote from: KEK Inc. on December 16, 2014, 09:00:11 PMhttps://www.google.com/maps/place/Mammoth+Lakes,+CA/@37.6415571,-118.9155394,3a,49y,292.36h,94.04t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEhlzxeg-kj9Akv0iY96IxA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x80960c5f79b3179f:0xf114d9d70fee8d6d

Here's a highway on-ramp without a FREEWAY ENTRANCE or HIGHWAY ENTRANCE in California.  US-395 and CA-203 near Mammoth Lakes.

Nice find.  I actually passed through this interchange (leaving and rejoining southbound US 395) last September, but didn't register that there weren't Freeway Entrance signs.  I suspect this is a rare example of a grade separation that isn't part of a declared freeway under California law.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 16, 2014, 09:31:49 PM
I suspect this is a rare example of a grade separation that isn't part of a declared freeway under California law.

Basing these off of memory.  I lived in Northern California, but I'm sure there's similar examples in Southern California.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2106631,-121.0710061,3a,49.8y,265.76h,94.55t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQqOCo_uCLyVV1a91J7mwBg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5563308,-122.23837,3a,75y,98.13h,82.21t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sf0KD5bI2fufWdbsxb-2QPg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9882458,-121.3841006,3a,75y,26.76h,84.58t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sG3q_PaGpk_qOoWZ5mTkheA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9610504,-121.551577,3a,53y,187.23h,98.26t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAj9EZDjOvNdlWKlSVvOhTA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8071335,-122.47394,3a,75y,294.67h,90.97t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sorP_2hMidy8EUTUuC4vLuQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8337594,-122.4835973,3a,80y,139.86h,82.95t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skw3frVfs5uJOrqFFRrxLKw!2e0
(Now, this one has a 'TOLL CROSSING ENTRANCE' sign on the east side and on the west side, it just has a stand-alone 'TOLL' sign over the shields.  If you go forward in SV, you can see the newer sign.)

Here's one without anything on the on-ramp. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1909249,-121.9928069,3a,75y,356.5h,84.93t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEYw18DZxS7rg-QohUZ7YuQ!2e0

All of the stubs on CA-17 between Los Gatos and Scott's Valley are like that. 

Honestly, it seems like the example with Klamath is rare.  California generally doesn't put a 'FREEWAY ENTRANCE' sign unless it's an actual freeway.
Take the road less traveled.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: Bruce on December 04, 2014, 06:52:23 PM

They're heavily used in the Seattle metro area too. Not sure why, since the signs are mostly redundant.

In a couple of rare cases, there are freeway entrance signs when you are already on a freeway to begin with. Seems redundant to me .....? Such is the case at WA 512 heading westbound to I-5 and WA 518 westbound at WA 509
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.