News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite Highway Bridges

Started by DesertDog, July 04, 2014, 07:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrDisco99

Quote from: Fugazi on September 24, 2014, 05:14:58 PM
Another biased vote: Quebec Bridge.

(from Wiki)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Bridge

Clearly inspired by the Forth Bridge (rail) in Scotland, which is one of the most impressive steel structures ever built, particularly for its time.

Having grown up within view of the George Washington Bridge, I'd have to vote that one as my favorite.  It's a brilliant design, meeting the challenge of being high and wide enough to be of no interference to shipping traffic below, as well as linking two states at America's largest city and all the bureaucracy that entails, and happens to be strong enough to handle over 100 million vehicles per year through 14 lanes of traffic, making it the world's busiest road bridge...

1995hoo

I love the Clifton Suspension Bridge. (Hey, that's me in the hat.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: MrDisco99 on December 16, 2014, 03:46:53 PMHaving grown up within view of the George Washington Bridge, I'd have to vote that one as my favorite.  It's a brilliant design, meeting the challenge of being high and wide enough to be of no interference to shipping traffic below, as well as linking two states at America's largest city and all the bureaucracy that entails, and happens to be strong enough to handle over 100 million vehicles per year through 14 lanes of traffic, making it the world's busiest road bridge...

It gets my vote.  Where I grew up, there were bridges, and then there was The Bridge, no modifier needed.  From New Jersey it is impossibly big and majestic when you come upon it, and the lack of approachways gives it perfect framing. 

My favorite GW facts are that its structure was so beautiful that Cass Gilbert's stone cladding was abandoned, and that centuries of military practice of breaking stride on bridges was abandoned in its opening parade.

I still feel put off that the new tower in Fort Lee gets in its view.   

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 22, 2015, 09:41:00 PM
My favorite GW facts are that its structure was so beautiful that Cass Gilbert's stone cladding was abandoned
*Factoid - it was abandoned because of funding.

US 41

Quote from: ghYHZ on July 26, 2014, 05:37:17 AM
Confederation Bridge from New Brunswick to Prince Edward Island — 12.9 km (8 miles)

It is $45 CAD to drive on though. I think that is pretty outrageous. $5 would be a more acceptable amount to charge.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kkt

Quote from: US 41 on January 24, 2015, 04:01:59 PM
Confederation Bridge from New Brunswick to Prince Edward Island — 12.9 km (8 miles)

It is $45 CAD to drive on though. I think that is pretty outrageous. $5 would be a more acceptable amount to charge.

How much did the ferryboat cost?

Pete from Boston

It's $5, I believe, to have the shuttle van drive you across.  Pretty wild to watch the churning sea below you out there. 

US 41

Quote from: kkt on January 24, 2015, 04:37:53 PM

There's a ferry that still operates on the eastern side of PEI and it costs about $65 to take your car on it.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on January 24, 2015, 03:42:09 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 22, 2015, 09:41:00 PM
My favorite GW facts are that its structure was so beautiful that Cass Gilbert's stone cladding was abandoned
*Factoid - it was abandoned because of funding.

Ah. The explanation I gave is one I've heard many times, but I have no knowledge of its origin.

Alps

Quote from: kkt on January 24, 2015, 04:37:53 PM

$45. (Taken back to pre-bridge dollars, though - $35 or $38? The bridge toll was equal when it was built, as a concession to the ferry owner to NS.)

oscar

That toll is charged only westbound.  Eastbound is free.  So that cuts the average price of the crossing in half.

The ferry at the other end of PEI works the same way -- free to enter PEI, expensive to leave.  Last time I was there in 2013, I took the ferry to PEI for free, and took the less expensive bridge back to the mainland.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SteveG1988

Quote from: oscar on January 30, 2015, 08:23:04 PM

That toll is charged only westbound.  Eastbound is free.  So that cuts the average price of the crossing in half.

The ferry at the other end of PEI works the same way -- free to enter PEI, expensive to leave.  Last time I was there in 2013, I took the ferry to PEI for free, and took the less expensive bridge back to the mainland.

A lot of people fail to take that into consideration with one way tolled bridges.

"5 bucks to enter Philly, that's a rip!" In reality your toll good sir is 2.50, view the doubled price as a deposit, you may be expected to do a return trip.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 31, 2015, 07:33:44 AM
Quote from: oscar on January 30, 2015, 08:23:04 PM

A lot of people fail to take that into consideration with one way tolled bridges.

"5 bucks to enter Philly, that's a rip!" In reality your toll good sir is 2.50, view the doubled price as a deposit, you may be expected to do a return trip.

So it's only $22.50, but you have no choice but to resettle on PEI or pay it again?  A bargain!

slorydn1

Back when I was a little kid, the 4 big bridges of NYC were "owned" by my family  (in a strictly 6 y/o child sort of way, lol). Whenever we would drive to NYC from the midwest we would first have to cross "my" bridge, the George Washington Bridge. Then the fight would be on since we had to go to Long Island, should we take my Dad's bridge (the Whitestone) or my mom's bridge (Throgs Neck-which I couldn't pronounce, it was always the Frog's Neck). No matter, we didn't call them by their real names, it was always my bridge, my mom's bridge and my dad's bridge.

Then my little brother was born in 1975 and he was "assigned" the Verrazano by my dad, much to my chagrin, it's the biggest one. I wanted him to have the Triboro!

So I would have to say that the majestic GWB is my favorite even to this day.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Pete from Boston

Quote from: slorydn1 on February 05, 2015, 02:16:14 PMThen the fight would be on since we had to go to Long Island, should we take my Dad's bridge (the Whitestone) or my mom's bridge (Throgs Neck-which I couldn't pronounce, it was always the Frog's Neck).

It ended up being "Frog's Throat" for me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.