News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

What is it with the Thruway and redecking bridges immediately before replacing them?  It's as if they intentionally waste money.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on June 21, 2017, 09:43:23 PM
What is it with the Thruway and redecking bridges immediately before replacing them?  It's as if they intentionally waste money.

Prolong life until they can get funding. Let's just say that the Grand Island Bridge decks have/had some critical issues and they won't be able to replace them for another 10+ years.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

At the very least, the existing bridges could use wider shoulders.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

seicer

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on June 21, 2017, 10:26:00 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 21, 2017, 09:43:23 PM

Prolong life until they can get funding. Let's just say that the Grand Island Bridge decks have/had some critical issues and they won't be able to replace them for another 10+ years.
I would think that would still affect when they do the reconstruction, if the substructure could still be serviced for a few years, to maximize the investment in the deck.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

OMG y'all, there is the cutest little mini I-90 reassurance marker posted on the Berkshire Spur, just east of Exit B2! Here's the Street View, but please tell me somebody's got a better photo of this?

https://goo.gl/maps/idGs8shsem12

And another thing: also on the Berkshire Spur, I noticed something I'd never seen before. Every so often, mounted on a delineator post below the reflector itself, there will be a thin, vertical green plate with some text on it. The text is also oriented vertically and is furthermore quite small, so I can't make out what it says. The placement is seemingly at random, though it does seem to happen mainly in locations where there's also a guide rail. Does anybody know what these are?

Again, here's a Street View (but alas, not at good enough resolution to make anything out): https://goo.gl/maps/P3UwTYe7L7U2

storm2k

Quote from: empirestate on July 07, 2017, 12:31:29 AM
OMG y'all, there is the cutest little mini I-90 reassurance marker posted on the Berkshire Spur, just east of Exit B2! Here's the Street View, but please tell me somebody's got a better photo of this?

And another thing: also on the Berkshire Spur, I noticed something I'd never seen before. Every so often, mounted on a delineator post below the reflector itself, there will be a thin, vertical green plate with some text on it. The text is also oriented vertically and is furthermore quite small, so I can't make out what it says. The placement is seemingly at random, though it does seem to happen mainly in locations where there's also a guide rail. Does anybody know what these are?

Again, here's a Street View (but alas, not at good enough resolution to make anything out): https://goo.gl/maps/P3UwTYe7L7U2

Reminds me of the random 95 shields at random points of the NJ Turnpike.

ixnay

Quote from: storm2k on July 07, 2017, 12:42:07 AM

Reminds me of the random 95 shields at random points of the NJ Turnpike.

Not to mention a tiny I-95 reassurance sign that stood about 40 years ago just north of the Kerlin St. exit in Chester, PA.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

machias

I'm pretty sure the green inventory marker is marking a culvert.

vdeane

Yeah, that's what it look like.  NYSDOT uses those green culvert makers too.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on July 07, 2017, 06:18:23 PM

What's the text say?

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on July 07, 2017, 10:20:58 PM

What's the text say?

C followed by a long number. Just an identifier.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on July 07, 2017, 10:23:45 PM

What's the text say?

Well that explains why they're so hard to make out. :-) So basically equivalent to the BIN plates you find on bridges, I guess.

iPhone

machias

Drove through Buffalo on I-90 last night and can verify that the new FHWA overhead signs for Exits 50, 50 A and 51 N-S are using the same weird non-reflective tape that the Clearview signs were using. Still hard to read but the letters don't get as washed out as the Clearview letters did. The lettering looks almost grey.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on July 13, 2017, 12:29:23 PM
Quote from: cl94 on July 07, 2017, 10:23:45 PM

What's the text say?

Well that explains why they're so hard to make out. :-) So basically equivalent to the BIN plates you find on bridges, I guess.

iPhone

Yes. As far as the NYSDOT ones, the first digit is always the region. Second appears to be the county code in most cases I can read while driving (but not consistent).

Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 19, 2017, 08:32:49 PM
Drove through Buffalo on I-90 last night and can verify that the new FHWA overhead signs for Exits 50, 50 A and 51 N-S are using the same weird non-reflective tape that the Clearview signs were using. Still hard to read but the letters don't get as washed out as the Clearview letters did. The lettering looks almost grey.

Yep. From what I heard, someone ordered the wrong type of sheeting and they're using it all up before ordering more because funding.

Buffaboy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on July 19, 2017, 08:32:49 PM

I drove through in the afternoon. I gotta say, the sound barrier that was put up made that stretch if I-90 look somewhat like the New Jersey Turnpike, minus the widening.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

Buffaboy

Cuomo announces cashless tolls coming to the Grand Island Bridges.

kalvado

Quote from: Buffaboy on August 22, 2017, 10:04:40 AM
Cuomo announces cashless tolls coming to the Grand Island Bridges.
Especially interesting that Buffalo was mentioned as low on EZpass area before, hence AET problematic for all of Thruway. DO we expect western dash of Thruway to be next AET announcement?

vdeane

I'm surprised we haven't seen anything on the Yonkers, Spring Valley, and New Rochelle barriers yet.  I would have thought they would have gone first before Tonawanda and Niagara (the official barrier names for the Grand Island bridges), given that downstate is already getting used to AET.  Especially Spring Valley, which I would think would just be a software change.

The Erie ticket system wouldn't be hard to convert either.  The mainline - THAT will be interesting!

cl94

NYSTA is throwing a bone to Buffalo because there has been a ton of rumbling about "why are we paying for Tappan Zee?" Seriously. Doesn't matter that the rest of the state has paid for the relatively-large amount of work in the Buffalo area recently.

(Personal opinion emphasized)

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on August 22, 2017, 09:09:29 PM
NYSTA is throwing a bone to Buffalo because there has been a ton of rumbling about "why are we paying for Tappan Zee?" Seriously. Doesn't matter that the rest of the state has paid for the relatively-large amount of work in the Buffalo area recently.

(Personal opinion emphasized)
what is being a bone here? AET can be a nuisance - at least initially - and likely to repay for itself in cash pretty quick...

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on August 22, 2017, 08:27:38 PM
I'm surprised we haven't seen anything on the Yonkers, Spring Valley, and New Rochelle barriers yet.  I would have thought they would have gone first before Tonawanda and Niagara (the official barrier names for the Grand Island bridges), given that downstate is already getting used to AET.  Especially Spring Valley, which I would think would just be a software change.

The Erie ticket system wouldn't be hard to convert either.  The mainline - THAT will be interesting!

I'll be more impressed when they're finally forced to follow proper exit numbering with I-90 and I-87.  Distance-based exit numbering.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cl94

Quote from: Brandon on August 22, 2017, 09:38:36 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 22, 2017, 08:27:38 PM

I'll be more impressed when they're finally forced to follow proper exit numbering with I-90 and I-87.  Distance-based exit numbering.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Please, NYSTA was one of the last American agencies to adopt green guide signs and they still haven't introduced high-speed tolling on a large scale. What makes you think they'll renumber the exits without being forced? I fully expect the Thruway to be the last sequentially-numbered road in America.

thenetwork

I'll throw this out for curiosity:  If the Thruway powers that be go AET on the Grand Island Bridges (and perhaps the Erie Section), would they consider returning to inbound tolls through downtown Buffalo on I-190, seeing that the only thing they would need to do is to is install overhead gantries?  Or is there an agreement that once they took off the inbound tolls, it was guaranteed to be permanent?

cl94

Quote from: thenetwork on August 22, 2017, 09:54:05 PM
I'll throw this out for curiosity:  If the Thruway powers that be go AET on the Grand Island Bridges (and perhaps the Erie Section), would they consider returning to inbound tolls through downtown Buffalo on I-190, seeing that the only thing they would need to do is to is install overhead gantries?  Or is there an agreement that once they took off the inbound tolls, it was guaranteed to be permanent?

I don't know if there's anything on paper saying it has to be permanent, but anyone who votes to reinstate tolls will be gone immediately. While NYSTA definitely needs the money, politics will prevent it and I don't know if tolls can even be reinstated as NYSDOT made major improvements to Exit 9, which is adjacent to a former barrier.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.