News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I hate this song!

Started by allniter89, October 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

Quote from: roadman65 on October 06, 2014, 05:26:38 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 05, 2014, 07:09:44 PM

A lot of people who like the earlier Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship hate anything after Mickey Thomas shaved his mustache off.

Here in Florida you do not hear much of this song, but you do hear Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now though.  Sometimes Sara is played, but not too much anymore.

I unashamedly love this song...

I should be ashamed though, because I like the far superior Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship, and even they are ashamed of the Starship era. When I saw them live in 2013 as Jefferson Starship, they pretended that the Starship era didn't exist.

roadman

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2014, 10:38:56 AM
I hate also when some stations play Jackson Browne's song Stay without The Load Out as both songs together make one long song.

I hate it when stations play Pure Prairie League's "Amie" without also playing "Falling In And Out Of Love" first.  Especially when the end of "Amie" reverts back to "Falling ....".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 06, 2014, 07:14:58 PM
out of genres that I generally otherwise like: Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" is absolutely stupid.  the rest of her stuff ranges from pretty good to brilliant, but this one song is just plodding butt rock.

If it's plodding butt rock, I guess plodding butt rock can be fun to dance to when you're drunk.

Quote from: Laura on October 06, 2014, 07:35:55 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 06, 2014, 05:26:38 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 05, 2014, 07:09:44 PM

A lot of people who like the earlier Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship hate anything after Mickey Thomas shaved his mustache off.

Here in Florida you do not hear much of this song, but you do hear Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now though.  Sometimes Sara is played, but not too much anymore.

I unashamedly love this song...

I should be ashamed though, because I like the far superior Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship, and even they are ashamed of the Starship era. When I saw them live in 2013 as Jefferson Starship, they pretended that the Starship era didn't exist.

I have zero feeling one way or another about the various Jefferson craft.  I just know that when I take this song in the context of its time, it's a lot of fun.  It was a big radio hit and if you didn't care who it was by or what else they'd done (like me), it was perfect for a pop hit of 1984 or 85.  I give them credit for being able to do different things in different styles in different eras and be successful at it.

1995hoo

My wife is watching Dancing with the Stars (the Nats game ended five minutes prior to her show, so no TV conflicts!) and I just heard the lyrics to "Jingle Bell Rock" and I instantly bellowed out, "I hate that fucking song!!!!"
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 06, 2014, 08:20:36 PM
My wife is watching Dancing with the Stars (the Nats game ended five minutes prior to her show, so no TV conflicts!) and I just heard the lyrics to "Jingle Bell Rock" and I instantly bellowed out, "I hate that fucking song!!!!"
I hate ANY Christmas song that's played before December 12th, or after January 5th.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman65

As far as the Jefferson Airplane/ Starship thing goes it was all about egos between the personnel of the band.  After the Jefferson named was dropped the original members regrouped using the Jefferson Airplane name again.

It is sad that the album they released called I Love Jet Aircraft was yanked by the record company a short time after as I loved the song Summer Of Love that was on it.

On another note Z100 in NYC, dubbed in their radio station name in the first verse of We Built This City instead of the word "rock and roll" after We Built This City.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cjk374

Quote from: roadman on October 06, 2014, 08:46:00 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 06, 2014, 08:20:36 PM
I hate ANY Christmas song that's played before December 12th, or after January 5th.

I can handle Christmas songs & music just before Dec. 1, but shut it off & put it all away 1st thing Dec. 26th!  :nod:

Quote from: roadman on October 06, 2014, 07:46:49 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2014, 10:38:56 AM
I hate also when some stations play Jackson Browne's song Stay without The Load Out as both songs together make one long song.

I hate it when stations play Pure Prairie League's "Amie" without also playing "Falling In And Out Of Love" first.  Especially when the end of "Amie" reverts back to "Falling ....".

I have only heard it played in its entirety once (maybe twice) in my whole life.  I totally agree with you.

I have no shame about liking "We Built this City".  It's a great song.

But I CANNOT stand "Radar Love"!!  I don't even know who sings it, BUT IT SUCKS!!   :ded:   X-(   :angry:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Pete from Boston

Funny, the first mention of that song in this thread made me think of the brand-new, ultra-popular Z100, but I don't remember that commercial. 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: cjk374 on October 06, 2014, 10:51:45 PMBut I CANNOT stand "Radar Love"!!  I don't even know who sings it, BUT IT SUCKS!!   :ded:   X-(   :angry:

Golden Earring, another rare act that made it big in two different musical eras, the second time with "Twilight Zone."  Both are excellent, IMO. 

cjk374

What was a Z100?  I forgot.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 06, 2014, 11:00:35 PM

Quote from: cjk374 on October 06, 2014, 10:51:45 PMBut I CANNOT stand "Radar Love"!!  I don't even know who sings it, BUT IT SUCKS!!   :ded:   X-(   :angry:

Golden Earring, another rare act that made it big in two different musical eras, the second time with "Twilight Zone."  Both are excellent, IMO.
Both good, and with respect to another current music oriented thread (covers that were hits), Radar Love was covered in the 80s by White Lion to some success.  Original still better.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: cjk374 on October 06, 2014, 11:01:54 PM
What was a Z100?  I forgot.

NY radio station that emerged in a blitz of top-40 FM in 1983.  It was instantly and wildly successful, kind of piggybacking on the new MTV wave of just playing what was popular without breaking into categories.

roadman65

I hate He's So Fine because the owner sued George Harrison for his song My Sweet Lord claiming the music is the exact same when in fact it is not.  The two songs are not the same, and the writer of He's So Fine is NOT entitled to the money of George Harrison's record sales at all!

Sheryl Crowe

Laura

Quote from: roadman65 on October 07, 2014, 01:06:57 AM
I hate He's So Fine because the owner sued George Harrison for his song My Sweet Lord claiming the music is the exact same when in fact it is not.  The two songs are not the same, and the writer of He's So Fine is NOT entitled to the money of George Harrison's record sales at all!

Speaking of that song...

I can't listen to the George Harrison song My Sweet Lord, because, well, Hare Krishna is not my lord. I suspect this is the same feeling someone who is an atheist has whenever a song referencing God comes on, or someone who isn't Christian feels when a specifically Christian song comes on.

iPhone

bugo

roadman65

There is a song that I do not know the name of, but it has a man singing like a girl.  Not a falsetto, but he actually sounds like a girl.  The lyrics sound like he is singing "pull me down, we're gonna lose control" however that is not it.  Each time I hear it out in the local restaurant I frequent, I try to make the lyrics out, but have no luck as the first word is unclear always.  Google is no help this time, as it brings up other R & B songs that are not the one.

Anyway, I thought this hot girl was singing it until I saw VH1 play the video and did not like the fact that it was a dude naturally sounding like that!  Even Frankie Vali and Barry Gibb do not sound that feminine with their falsettos like this dude sings it.  Galleger (from Over My Head on HBO circa 1980) would have used this dude instead of Franki Vali if he heard him that is how freaky this guy sounds.

Then we used to also kid around back in High School about Pass The Dutchie changing out Dutchie for the a woman's body part as in my school it was mostly rock loving people that would not give R & B, Disco, Club, or anything synonymous with that section of music a chance.  Plus many thought the change in lyrics were cute.

Sheryl Crowe

english si

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 06, 2014, 06:57:23 PMBack to pop music, I could never figure out why so many people were obsessed with "The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony" that it almost always make it onto those "essential 90's tracks" compilations.
Bittersweet Symphony needs to be on 'Essential 90s' as it is an exhibit par excellence of late 90s British alt rock (that gets called Britpop). And it was played to death in '97 (in the UK at least - especially during September, where there weren't many other non-upbeat songs that had come out in the last 6 months to fill the gaps between alternate Candle in the Wind plays...), so it's a song people all remember from the 90s. Somehow, it was voted number 2 in a BBC poll on Britpop songs when those other songs in the top 10 are all better.

The strings riff is the theme song to TV coverage of England (the team, not all matches in the country)'s soccer matches, so we still aren't shot of it.

---

I really got sick of Coldplay's Clocks - like Bittersweet Symphony 6 years before, it got played endlessly in the UK. To make matters worse, I then crossed the pond just as the UK gave up on it, the song was just taking off in the States so cue all the shops in the malls playing it in the 5 weeks I spent there Summer 03 (oddly it was released as a single 6 months earlier in the US than in the UK). Also it took 6 months to release it as a single after the album hit the shelves, so I was kind of fed up of it by the time it came out in the UK.

spooky

Quote from: roadman65 on October 07, 2014, 08:52:55 AM
There is a song that I do not know the name of, but it has a man singing like a girl.  Not a falsetto, but he actually sounds like a girl.  The lyrics sound like he is singing "pull me down, we're gonna lose control" however that is not it.  Each time I hear it out in the local restaurant I frequent, I try to make the lyrics out, but have no luck as the first word is unclear always.  Google is no help this time, as it brings up other R & B songs that are not the one.

Anyway, I thought this hot girl was singing it until I saw VH1 play the video and did not like the fact that it was a dude naturally sounding like that!  Even Frankie Vali and Barry Gibb do not sound that feminine with their falsettos like this dude sings it.  Galleger (from Over My Head on HBO circa 1980) would have used this dude instead of Franki Vali if he heard him that is how freaky this guy sounds.

You've rambled aimlessly about this before, I'm curious as to what song it is.  My best guess is "Cool It Now" by New Edition, although that was sung by a teenager.

roadman65

I think Rush Limbaugh gave Bitter Sweet Symphony a bad rap when he used back in the Clinton Days on his radio show coming back from commercial break.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on October 07, 2014, 09:01:40 AM
I think Rush Limbaugh gave Bitter Sweet Symphony a bad rap when he used back in the Clinton Days on his radio show coming back from commercial break.
Nah, this guy gave it a bad rap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE5O0LPdudU
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thenetwork

Overkilled, Overplayed:

Jack & Diane -- J. Cougar / J.C. Mellencamp / J. Mellencamp / The Artist Formerly known as John,....
Brown Eyed Girl -- Van Morrison
Monday Monday -- Mamas & The Papas -- Even the Mamas and the Papas sound like they are sick and tired of singing that song on that record.
Tiny Dancer -- Elton John -- And many stations unofficially crown that as Elton's DEFINITIVE hit...Bullshit!

Mind you, I used to love these songs until the oldies, er "classic hits" stations would start playing them with the frequency of a #1 song in an hourly "Battle Of The Hits" contest -- 20 years+ straight.

And still they claim "theyHeart Radio"....Triple B.S.!!!

roadman65

Quote from: thenetwork on October 07, 2014, 09:09:36 AM
Overkilled, Overplayed:

Jack & Diane -- J. Cougar / J.C. Mellencamp / J. Mellencamp / The Artist Formerly known as John,....
Brown Eyed Girl -- Van Morrison
Monday Monday -- Mamas & The Papas -- Even the Mamas and the Papas sound like they are sick and tired of singing that song on that record.
Tiny Dancer -- Elton John -- And many stations unofficially crown that as Elton's DEFINITIVE hit...Bullshit!

Mind you, I used to love these songs until the oldies, er "classic hits" stations would start playing them with the frequency of a #1 song in an hourly "Battle Of The Hits" contest -- 20 years+ straight.

And still they claim "theyHeart Radio"....Triple B.S.!!!

Yeah what is up with him and his constant name changing?  One day he is Cougar, the next day he is Cougar Mellencamp, and now he is just Mellancamp.

You are right, though, the artist formerly known as John lol!

Sheryl Crowe

triplemultiplex

Quote from: hbelkins on October 05, 2014, 06:04:51 PM
"The Crunge" by Led Zeppelin.

Where's the confounded bridge?

It's not getting built because it will cost 1 billion dollars.  :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Molandfreak

Quote from: Laura on October 07, 2014, 07:14:32 AM
I can't listen to the George Harrison song My Sweet Lord, because, well, Hare Krishna is not my lord. I suspect this is the same feeling someone who is an atheist has whenever a song referencing God comes on, or someone who isn't Christian feels when a specifically Christian song comes on.
Not always.  I personally don't believe and I find some inherently Christian or other religious songs entertaining to listen to due to complex harmonies, guitar riffs or beautiful, poetic lyrics.  I don't believe in Beelzebub or Bismillah, but I think Bohemian Rhapsody is one of the greatest masterpieces ever written.  I don't believe in angels singing songs of hope, but that doesn't change my love for Styx's Come Sail Away.  My Sweet Lord isn't necessarily one of my favorites, but I don't hate it because I love George Harrison's sweet, tender tone in it.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

bugo

Quote from: Laura on October 07, 2014, 07:14:32 AM

Nope. If the song is good and the musicianship is good, lyrics about Him don't bother me at all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.