News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's more likely to happen first...?

Started by swbrotha100, February 22, 2015, 06:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swbrotha100

Does the Los Angeles area gain 1, 2 or 3 NFL teams, or does the Las Vegas area gain a pro sports team (NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL)?

1995hoo

Yes.

In all seriousness, an NFL team or teams could move to LA more quickly than a league could expand, this for logistical reasons.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Thing 342

Yes, as there is an actual proposal on the table for a shared Chargers-Raiders stadium in Carson, CA.

ajlynch91

LA gets two football teams first. The Las Vegas area kind of had a pilot for a pro-franchise when the NBA held the all star game there once, and apparently it was a logistical nightmare.

Stephane Dumas

I think the Cubs will win the World Series first before LA get a NFL team. ;)

Brandon

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 23, 2015, 11:14:04 AM

Then I think we've settled it.  Hell will freeze over, then the Cubs will will the WS, then LA will get an NFL team, and then, finally, Las Vegas will get a top-level professional sports team.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Henry

Quote from: Brandon on February 23, 2015, 12:07:03 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on February 23, 2015, 11:14:04 AM

Then I think we've settled it.  Hell will freeze over, then the Cubs will will the WS, then LA will get an NFL team, and then, finally, Las Vegas will get a top-level professional sports team.
I see somebody beat me to it!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

Quote from: ajlynch91 on February 23, 2015, 09:18:44 AM
LA gets two football teams first. The Las Vegas area kind of had a pilot for a pro-franchise when the NBA held the all star game there once, and apparently it was a logistical nightmare.

Las Vegas does have a season-ticket drive going on to demonstrate support for a possible NHL expansion franchise. But that doesn't mean expansion is imminent or could be accomplished quickly, especially given that adding a team there would mean an odd number of teams in the league unless a second expansion franchise were granted at the same time. Moving a football team or two to Los Angeles is an easier matter in almost all ways.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 23, 2015, 12:58:53 PM
Quote from: ajlynch91 on February 23, 2015, 09:18:44 AM

Las Vegas does have a season-ticket drive going on to demonstrate support for a possible NHL expansion franchise. But that doesn't mean expansion is imminent or could be accomplished quickly, especially given that adding a team there would mean an odd number of teams in the league unless a second expansion franchise were granted at the same time. Moving a football team or two to Los Angeles is an easier matter in almost all ways.

At least for hockey, an odd number of teams isn't a huge burden, except for one division would have one more team than the others.  Even if you have two additional teams using today's 4 division format, 2 divisions would have 8 teams; 2 would have 9 teams, making it a little harder to win that division.  Of course, the only thing that really matters regarding the division is winning the Division; after that it comes down to points within the conference.

When football had an odd number of teams, it meant that every week a team had a bye week, including Week 1 and Week 17, although generally they were given to the crap teams that no one figured would have a chance at getting in the playoffs. 

1995hoo

Actually, under the current format a single-team expansion would mean one division would have one fewer team than the others. Right now the divisions in the Eastern Conference have eight teams each and the ones in the Western have seven. Back in the 1980s, the Patrick Division had six while all the others had five (21-team league). There have been indications that neither the owners nor the players' union is interested in having an odd number of teams, which is why I said it might be a problem. As it is there has been some unhappiness with the unbalanced conferences because some people feel having a smaller number of teams makes it easier to qualify for the playoffs in the West (I'm not really sure that's a fair assumption).

Under the current playoff format, the division is relevant for the top three spots. The top three teams in every division make the playoffs, then the two remaining teams in each conference who have the best records also make it regardless of division (these two teams are the wild cards). In the first round, (a) the higher-seeded division winner in each conference plays that conference's lower-seeded wild card, (b) the lower-seeded division winner plays the higher-seeded wild card, and (c) #2 in each division plays #3 in the same division. So the divisions have more relevance than they did in the format used prior to last year's realignment, but less relevance than they did in the 1980s when the first two rounds were entirely division-based.

triplemultiplex

But if LA gets an NFL team, where will all the other teams threaten to move to if they don't get billion dollar new stadiums?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

1995hoo

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 24, 2015, 10:45:03 PM
But if LA gets an NFL team, where will all the other teams threaten to move to if they don't get billion dollar new stadiums?

(1) Whatever city is (or cities are) vacated by the team(s) that move to LA, unless perhaps that city is Jacksonville.

(2) Toronto and London.

(3) San Antonio (the Raiders have made noise about moving there, but the Cowboys and Texans would vehemently oppose any team moving to Texas).

(4) Probably Memphis or Birmingham (the latter meaning the one in Alabama, not the one in England).

cpzilliacus

Bingo!  Which is why Congress should impose a heavy tax on professional sports franchises that get taxpayer funded stadiums and pay little or no rent to the taxpayers that ultimately own them.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Henry

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 24, 2015, 10:50:09 PM

(1) Whatever city is (or cities are) vacated by the team(s) that move to LA, unless perhaps that city is Jacksonville.

(2) Toronto and London.

(3) San Antonio (the Raiders have made noise about moving there, but the Cowboys and Texans would vehemently oppose any team moving to Texas).

(4) Probably Memphis or Birmingham (the latter meaning the one in Alabama, not the one in England).
5. Maybe even Oklahoma City or Portland
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ET21

Quote from: Henry on March 09, 2015, 12:31:08 PM

(2) Toronto and London.

5. Maybe even Oklahoma City or Portland

Portland would be a nice I-5 rivalry, similar to OKC with Dallas as an I-35 rivalry.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

lordsutch

I think the Titans have the rights to Memphis. Not that anyone in Memphis wants anything to do with the Nashville Carpetbaggers aka the Flaming Thumbtacks.

1995hoo

Quote from: lordsutch on March 09, 2015, 04:05:35 PM

I think the Titans have the rights to Memphis. Not that anyone in Memphis wants anything to do with the Nashville Carpetbaggers aka the Flaming Thumbtacks.

Wouldn't necessarily stop a team from threatening to move there.

lordsutch

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 09, 2015, 05:57:29 PM
Wouldn't necessarily stop a team from threatening to move there.

No, but it substantially decreases the credibility of the threat, as do Memphis' weak demographics and small corporate presence. And Birmingham is a total joke of an option; nothing will ever be bigger in Alabama than 'Bama football.

San Antonio would at least draw fans from Austin as well, although otherwise they're in a similar boat to Memphis or OKC (one pro team saturates the market).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.