News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Current state speed limit increase proposals

Started by Pink Jazz, March 03, 2015, 08:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Pretty much everyone already goes 75-80 in Iowa, depending on the day.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Great Lakes Roads

Pink Jazz

To my surprise, West Virginia has introduced an 80 mph bill.  They aren't even currently 75 mph.  If this passes, I wonder if this will lead to neighboring Virginia to consider raising its reckless driving threshold.

http://www.dominionpost.com/Speed-limit-bill-intro--duced-in

jakeroot

Quote from: Pink Jazz on March 20, 2017, 01:23:33 AM
To my surprise, West Virginia has introduced an 80 mph bill.  They aren't even currently 75 mph.  If this passes, I wonder if this will lead to neighboring Virginia to consider raising its reckless driving threshold.

Anyone know if West Virginia only posts speed limits in blocks of ten, sort of like the UK?

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on March 20, 2017, 01:32:41 AM

Anyone know if West Virginia only posts speed limits in blocks of ten, sort of like the UK?

They do not. I can think of multiple West Virginia roads I've driven with 65-mph speed limits.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Why would Virginia care what West Virginia does?

If every state cared about their neighboring state, we would all have the same speed limit...and really, all the laws and signage and stuff would be the same from state to state.

Bitmapped

The 80mph bill isn't going anywhere. It's really poorly written, requiring 80mph on all Interstates and 4-lane highways (like the ARC corridors) outside of city limits without any exceptions for engineering issues. It's also sponsored by two back-benchers.

The item to watch is the House resolution asking the DOH commissioner to study 75mph on Interstates.

Rothman

I can't imagine driving the most crooked parts of I-79 and the Turnpike at very much more than 80. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Great Lakes Roads

1995hoo

So are they likely to post 75 anywhere?

I did find the following quotation amusing. Seems to me the guy has an easy solution: Don't drive 10 over the limit, dumbass!

Quote"If it goes up five, and I go 10 over, I'm losing an additional three to four miles per gallon on my vehicle," Toscano said. "I'm going to be spending more money on gas and wear and tear on my vehicle, and it's just not worth it."

vdeane

Walters says increasing the speed limit by 5 mph will not only help drivers get from point A to point B faster, but will also help the state financially.

"Right now, we average 24.7 miles per gallon and going 75 would reduce that to 22.9, so we calculated the increase in gas sales and found out the increase in the gas sales tax would be $7.4 million," Walters said.
I don't think I've ever seen that reason for a speed limit increase before.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

I remember when Texas first posted 80-mph limits, some people made the usual objection to "using more gas" and the DOT replied they don't mind if people want to spend more on gas taxes.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on April 13, 2017, 12:41:44 PM
Walters says increasing the speed limit by 5 mph will not only help drivers get from point A to point B faster, but will also help the state financially.

"Right now, we average 24.7 miles per gallon and going 75 would reduce that to 22.9, so we calculated the increase in gas sales and found out the increase in the gas sales tax would be $7.4 million," Walters said.
I don't think I've ever seen that reason for a speed limit increase before.

I'll take it. Heck, the people pushing for NY's limit to increase should use that logic. It would do wonders for funding NYSDOT, broke county governments and the MTA.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

$7.4m more a year?  That is a pittance.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

slorydn1

Quote from: Rothman on April 13, 2017, 09:47:14 PM

Ehh, I don't know. $7.4 million here, $7.4 million there...pretty soon it adds up to real money.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Rothman

Quote from: slorydn1 on April 15, 2017, 12:48:34 AM

Ehh, I don't know. $7.4 million here, $7.4 million there...pretty soon it adds up to real money.

In one year, it's a pittance.  Up here in NY, that'd pay for one very small bridge rehab or an average band-aid paving job (two-lane).  So, let's say that down in WV, they get twice for their buck than we do up here.  Anyway you cut it, given the costs of transportation improvements, it's a pittance.

1995hoo

ukfan758

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 15, 2017, 02:39:34 PM

At quick glance, the only areas I see where it might work for a longer distance is on 64 between Barboursville and Scary as well as Elton and Lewisburg.

jeffandnicole

Where's the other $7.4 million coming from?   

In reality, it is small dollars on the grand scale of everything.

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 17, 2017, 11:08:52 AM

Where's the other $7.4 million coming from?   

In reality, it is small dollars on the grand scale of everything.

Assuming we're talking about a total of 1 million cars affected (probably close enough for WV 1.85 M population) that boils down to 3 extra gallons of gas a year.
Or, looking from the other side, if we're talking about 3 million gallons extra due to 24.7 -> 22.9 MPG, that means something like total of 1700  million total highway miles, or 1000 annual highway miles per state resident. Probably about right...

gonealookin

Nevada's 80 mph maximum speed limit, passed by the legislature and signed by the governor in 2015, is finally being implemented as soon as next week on a 125-mile stretch on I-80.

QuoteThe Nevada Department of Transportation will raise the maximum speed limit from 75 to 80 mph on sections of Interstate 80 between Fernley and Winnemucca.

Beginning as early as May 8, roughly 30 new speed limit signs will be installed with the 80 mph speed limit on Interstate 80 between Fernley and Winnemucca, excluding a section of interstate through Lovelock.

While this part does pertain to certain grades between Winnemucca and the Utah border, there are long stretches out there where 80 mph could be implemented as well.

QuoteSpeed limits will not be increased east of Winnemucca in part to reduce potential traffic safety concerns created by slower-moving trucks unable to ascend mountainous grades at the same speeds as passenger vehicles.

Nevada law provides that the maximum fine for exceeding 80 mph, but not exceeding 85 mph, in a zone posted for 80 is $25, with no points charged against the driver's record.

roadfro

Quote from: gonealookin on May 03, 2017, 02:21:05 PM
Nevada's 80 mph maximum speed limit, passed by the legislature and signed by the governor in 2015, is finally being implemented as soon as next week on a 125-mile stretch on I-80.

QuoteThe Nevada Department of Transportation will raise the maximum speed limit from 75 to 80 mph on sections of Interstate 80 between Fernley and Winnemucca.

Beginning as early as May 8, roughly 30 new speed limit signs will be installed with the 80 mph speed limit on Interstate 80 between Fernley and Winnemucca, excluding a section of interstate through Lovelock.

While this part does pertain to certain grades between Winnemucca and the Utah border, there are long stretches out there where 80 mph could be implemented as well.

QuoteSpeed limits will not be increased east of Winnemucca in part to reduce potential traffic safety concerns created by slower-moving trucks unable to ascend mountainous grades at the same speeds as passenger vehicles.

Nevada law provides that the maximum fine for exceeding 80 mph, but not exceeding 85 mph, in a zone posted for 80 is $25, with no points charged against the driver's record.

Thanks for posting this–I'd been wondering if NDOT was doing studies, or just not being in a hurry to post 80 after the law was approved last session. I hadn't yet come across that press release.

The press release has photos of Speed Limit 80 signs being produced and stacked. So nice!
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadman65

Wow another 80!  Pretty soon the whole west will be that way.  I do wish though that some states would raise their off interstates to higher limits.  Many states still impose only 65 mph on two lane roads that could easily have 70 or 75 mph limits.  Hey if Texas can post a two lane road at 75 and have no major issues why can't others.

Also, why can't Arkansas and Louisiana go higher than 55 on two lane roads being neighbors of Texas who have 65 mph speed limits?  I drove US 71 in 01 and it took forever to go from Fort Smith to Shreveport at the time.  And what made it worse was how close the road was to states that implemented 65 mph speed limits along the whole stretch.  That is probably why many locals are pushing to get the I-49 gap closed.  US 71 may be a nice drive, but a slow one.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2017, 07:40:58 AMI do wish though that some states would raise their off interstates to higher limits.  Many states still impose only 65 mph on two lane roads that could easily have 70 or 75 mph limits.
By off interstates, are you referring to freeways that aren't Interstates or roads the aren't divided?

Most of the eastern states, the maximum speed limit for undivided roadways is still 55.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2017, 07:40:58 AMI do wish though that some states would raise their off interstates to higher limits.  Many states still impose only 65 mph on two lane roads that could easily have 70 or 75 mph limits.  Hey if Texas can post a two lane road at 75 and have no major issues why can't others.

Texas is in fact having issues--some roads posted for 75 have subsequently had to be downposted to 70, including not just two-lane roads but also some Interstates such as a hilly length of I-20 in Eastland County that is now receiving geometric improvements.

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2017, 07:40:58 AMAlso, why can't Arkansas and Louisiana go higher than 55 on two lane roads being neighbors of Texas who have 65 mph speed limits?  I drove US 71 in 01 and it took forever to go from Fort Smith to Shreveport at the time.  And what made it worse was how close the road was to states that implemented 65 mph speed limits along the whole stretch.  That is probably why many locals are pushing to get the I-49 gap closed.  US 71 may be a nice drive, but a slow one.

Actually, Arkansas and Louisiana now both have 70 MPH speed limits on Interstates, and this is now the speed limit of the portions of the US 71 relocation between Shreveport and Texarkana that is now posted as I-49.  It is Texas' other two US neighbors--Oklahoma and New Mexico--that have 65 on rural two-lane state highways.  I have not attempted US 71 between Texarkana and Fort Smith, but it passes through very hilly country and 55 MPH may very well be the highest speed limit that is reasonably prudent.  Part of the issue in Arkansas and Louisiana is that two-lane roads are less likely to have shoulders than in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico.

I think bills like Michigan's recent speed limit increase are a step in the right direction, so far as two-lane rural primary state highways are concerned.  The headline provision in the bill was an Interstate speed limit increase from 70 to 75, which I disagree with, but it also provides for up to 65 on two-lane rural primaries, which establishes scope for a clear differentiation in speed limit between roads like US 2 and M-28 (full shoulders, easy curves, generous geometry, multiple passing lanes at relatively close spacing) and the M-123 loop out (almost) to Whitefish Point and Tahquamenon Falls (hard strips instead of shoulders, tight curves, no passing lanes, very limited passing opportunity).

Another underlying issue is that in some states, Interstate speed limits have far more visibility than speed limits on two-lane rural primaries.  Back in 1996, in Kansas, it was understood from the start that maximum speed limits would change for all state highways, and all Interstates were up-posted the day the NMSL became void while the two-lane rural primaries took a few months for speed limit surveys to be completed on a rolling basis.  In Colorado, on the other hand, Interstates went up to 75 right away while two-lane rural primaries stayed 55 for years.  It is only recently (not sure exactly when) that they have gone up to 65.  There are many other states like Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, and New York where years of lobbying have secured (very reluctant) 70 limits on rural freeways but two-lane rural primaries are still stuck at 55.  These states include a few where important two-lane rural primaries consistently have full shoulders (like Wisconsin, but unlike Arkansas).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.