News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Greetings from Juneau

Started by dave1013, March 16, 2015, 02:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave1013

Hello, I am glad to be a member of this group.  I've found a lot of interesting items here and hope I can contribute some!
Traffic and Safety Engineer - Alaska DOT&PF - Southcoast Region - Juneau, Alaska

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of Alaska DOT&PF or the State of Alaska

US81

hotdogPi

Welcome from Massachusetts!
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Alex

Brandon

I'll bet you can contribute quite a bit.  We don't have too many members from Alaska.  :wave:

Greetings from just outside the corrupt quarter of Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

oscar

I'm glad to see you here. I'm interested in Alaska roads (we might've had an e-mail exchange last summer about some highways in your area), and try to cover Alaska transportation topics from four time zones away, but it's nice to have someone in a better official and geographic position to discuss them.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Welcome. I loved Juneau when we visited. I haven't gotten to explore the roads in Alaska, but I would very much like to go back and have the chance to do so.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

dave1013

Quote from: oscar on March 16, 2015, 03:49:39 PM
I'm glad to see you here. I'm interested in Alaska roads (we might've had an e-mail exchange last summer about some highways in your area), and try to cover Alaska transportation topics from four time zones away, but it's nice to have someone in a better official and geographic position to discuss them.

Glad to oblige.  Are you the fellow who wrote to inquire about an Alaska Highway 7 shield in Petersburg?

All questions welcome.

For starters, here's some interesting photos (in 2 parts on Facebook) I took in Hyder ~3 years ago during a visit to inspect one of our projects.  Hyder is a pretty remote community here in Southeast, located approx. 50 miles northeast of Ketchikan.  Up until shortly before this trip, I thought the only two border crossings in Southeast were at Haines and Skagway - but we have a third one in Hyder.

Not a lot of sign pictures - hope that's okay.

Enjoy!

deleted - see below

deleted - see below   
Traffic and Safety Engineer - Alaska DOT&PF - Southcoast Region - Juneau, Alaska

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of Alaska DOT&PF or the State of Alaska

freebrickproductions

Welcome from Alabama!
I visited Alaska several years back and I found it rather chilly. I was somewhat surprised to see kids cooling off in a river from a glacier melting even though it was about 60° that day!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

rickmastfan67

Welcome to the forums Dave, and you've now been setup in the DOT group. ;)

SignGeek101

Welcome from windy Winnipeg!

nexus73

Quote from: dave1013 on March 16, 2015, 05:11:51 PM

Glad to oblige.  Are you the fellow who wrote to inquire about an Alaska Highway 7 shield in Petersburg?

All questions welcome.

For starters, here's some interesting photos (in 2 parts on Facebook) I took in Hyder ~3 years ago during a visit to inspect one of our projects.  Hyder is a pretty remote community here in Southeast, located approx. 50 miles northeast of Ketchikan.  Up until shortly before this trip, I thought the only two border crossings in Southeast were at Haines and Skagway - but we have a third one in Hyder.

Enjoy!

Part I   

Part II   

Went to look and got this:

This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

You can post images on these forums if you like.  I know I would enjoy seeing them!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

oscar

Yes. I recognize your full name from the Facebook link to your photos that you posted (non-working, as someone else noted -- perhaps because I don't have a Facebook account). 

I last visited Hyder in 1994, before Canada opened the customs station on its side of the border (still none on the U.S. side?). I'll be curious what (if anything) else has changed. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

dave1013

Quote from: oscar on March 16, 2015, 09:46:11 PM

Yes. I recognize your full name from the Facebook link to your photos that you posted (non-working, as someone else noted -- perhaps because I don't have a Facebook account). 

I last visited Hyder in 1994, before Canada opened the customs station on its side of the border (still none on the U.S. side?). I'll be curious what (if anything) else has changed.

OK I know what the deal is with the links.  I have my FB account locked down.  Ooops.  I will post the pics somewhere else.  I should have remembered that before posting.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Still no customs station on the US side of the border.  That is unlikely to change in our lifetime as the road meanders thru Hyder and then back into Canada.  There's no place to run!

The big change is that our project paved Salmon River Road.  One of the photos shows the new gutter pan that went down before the driving surface.

empirestate

The first time I ever set foot in Alaska was in Juneau. There were four ships in delivering some 10,000 passengers, and the temperature was about 75° with clear skies. So when people ask my first impression of Alaska, I answer "Hot and crowded!" :-D

My favorite "roads" feature of the state is all of the boardwalks and stair streets in the southeastern cities. Juneau has some, and of course Ketchikan has a whole lot more. I've never been able to find a good Internet source talking about these, let alone any maps detailed enough to really show them. (I did what I could in Open Street Map for Ketchikan...)

dave1013

Quote from: empirestate on March 17, 2015, 09:56:20 AM
The first time I ever set foot in Alaska was in Juneau. There were four ships in delivering some 10,000 passengers, and the temperature was about 75° with clear skies. So when people ask my first impression of Alaska, I answer "Hot and crowded!" :-D

My favorite "roads" feature of the state is all of the boardwalks and stair streets in the southeastern cities. Juneau has some, and of course Ketchikan has a whole lot more. I've never been able to find a good Internet source talking about these, let alone any maps detailed enough to really show them. (I did what I could in Open Street Map for Ketchikan...)

Ya, it's 75 and crowded here all the time!   :-D

I'll see what I can do about finding more info on the stairs.  I don't think they are in our right-of-way but will start there.

dave1013

Quote from: nexus73 on March 16, 2015, 08:54:40 PM

All questions welcome.

OK, I assembled a Powerpoint that contains the pertinent photos and associated explanatory text, and uploaded it to the space my ISP gives me for personal storage.  You can access it from here - it appears to work as it should.  For me, it was quicker to save the file and then open in Powerpoint than open it directly.  Your mileage may vary.  Enjoy!

dave1013

Quote from: empirestate on March 17, 2015, 09:56:20 AM

There's only one we know of in KTN that's ours and it's off the main drag.

dgolub

Welcome from New York City!  I've never been to Alaska, but it sounds (and looks from the photos I've seen) like a really interesting state.  I definitely want to go some day.

dave1013

Quote from: dgolub on March 18, 2015, 08:46:09 AM
Welcome from New York City!  I've never been to Alaska, but it sounds (and looks from the photos I've seen) like a really interesting state.  I definitely want to go some day.

Thanks for the welcome and I hope you do come for a visit someday!

Every American should see firsthand what their $7.2 million bought lo these 148 years ago.

MillTheRoadgeek

Welcome, from the amazing land of Northern Virginia. I'm BatteryMill (MillTheRoadgeek), and you should be great here! (sorry if I'm a bit late)

xcellntbuy

Greetings from the antebellum capital of Georgia--Milledgeville.

empirestate

"Antebellum"–now there's a word that didn't turn out to mean what I thought it would.

xcellntbuy

You see a lot of antebellum references in middle Georgia.  US 441 south from Interstate 20 in Madison, GA is the Antebellum Trail to Milledgeville.  From metro Atlanta southeast to Milledgeville, it is an area of much farm land, the beautiful Oconee National Forest and now home to two large man-made lakes, Lake Sinclair and Lake Oconee.

When driving back from business meetings in metro Atlanta, I have often tried to imagine what this area looked like in 1864 as General Sherman marched with the Union Army to capture Milledgeville after capturing Atlanta, then just a railroad hub of 9000 people.  When the 32,000-strong Union Army reached Milledgeville, a city of just 17,000, he stormed the building my current employer, Georgia Military College, affectionately calls the Old Capitol, held a mock legislative session to repeal secession and took all the cannon ringing Old Capitol hill. :wave:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.