What's the deal with these Virginia "Interstate" markers?

Started by Zeffy, April 23, 2015, 09:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Browsing through the shield gallery, I noticed this under Virginia's collection:

From www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=VA19560201

Were these actually used in Virginia at one point? And what's up with the number? Surely this 20 couldn't be I-20, because Virginia was way too north for that designation.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Early proposal for what the I-shield should look like.

US71

Quote from: Alps on April 23, 2015, 11:25:32 PM
Texas came up with the current design, but if memory serves correct, Missouri's design was merged with Texas to create the final shield.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Mapmikey

This page is from the Aug 1957 Virginia Highways Bulletin.  No mention of Missouri in the adopted design from Texas...

Mapmikey

Zeffy

I've never seen this design in any of the early Interstate shield proposals...

@Mapmikey: Interesting how they compare the Interstate shield to the Virginia state highway marker - there is a slight similarity that I can see now that it's mentioned.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Mapmikey

The City of Norfolk apparently cannot tell them apart.  Numerous VA routes signed in a flat-top interstate shield and a handful that have the "two slight scoops"

Mapmikey

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 24, 2015, 10:03:17 AM
The City of Norfolk apparently cannot tell them apart.  Numerous VA routes signed in a flat-top interstate shield and a handful that have the "two slight scoops"

Though I have seen hideous Virginia (primary system) shields more than one municipality.

Not that this excuses Norfolk, since it doesn't.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ixnay

Quote from: US71 on April 24, 2015, 08:22:09 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 23, 2015, 11:25:32 PM
Texas came up with the current design, but if memory serves correct, Missouri's design was merged with Texas to create the final shield.

I'd love to have seen the TX and MO proposals separately, before blending.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Zeffy

Quote from: NE2 on April 24, 2015, 09:32:57 PM
Texas proposals:

These are the ones I remember seeing. What did Missouri's look like?

MDRoads

Missouri's design used the red and blue colors (though it wasn't the only state that did so), and that was merged with the Texas design.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.