News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Confederation Bridge closed due to an accident

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 01, 2015, 07:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

SignGeek101

Wow. I can't imagine the traffic backup from that. There is still a ferry though, isn't there?

1995hoo

Quote from: SignGeek101 on September 01, 2015, 01:19:59 PM
Wow. I can't imagine the traffic backup from that. There is still a ferry though, isn't there?

Yes, although it's a decent distance to the east (on the mainland, you go to Pictou, NS). The old ferry from Cape Tormentine to Borden is defunct.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: SignGeek101 on September 01, 2015, 01:19:59 PM

Yes. But at the other end of the island, via Nova Scotia, which is a long detour and probably had nowhere near the capacity to handle the detoured traffic. It made the most sense for traffic to just stick around and wait out the "several hours" delay, rather than try to switch to the alternate route.

As 1995hoo notes, the ferry that once ran on a route closer to the bridge was shut down soon after the bridge was opened. I'm not sure there are even usable ferry terminals on either side, though there is a shuttered old toll booth on the New Brunswick side.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ghYHZ

Here's what's left of the old CN ferry infrastructure at Borden, PEI......the old ferry marshalling area:

And the old docks at Cape Tormentine NB

A 100 km trip via the Bridge from Borden PEI to Moncton NB could turn into 400 km, 5hr 45min trip if you had to go via the NFL Ferry at Caribou NS..... and that would depend on how fast you could find space on the two ferries that carry 155 > 220 cars and cross every 90 minutes:

Rothman

Heh.  The last time I was on PEI was before the bridge was built.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on September 01, 2015, 11:09:59 PM
Heh.  The last time I was on PEI was before the bridge was built.

Me too, and we waited hours for the ferry to New Brunswick–we were there for the Canadian Boy Scout Jamboree and you had several thousand people all leaving at the same time. In retrospect, we should have taken the eastern ferry to Pictou. Longer distance driving but it would have saved a lot of time waiting on line. I recall we had decided to stop for the night in Calais and it was well after midnight when we got there, this after leaving the Jamboree site sometime in the morning.

(Edited to fix a typo)

oscar

My first trip to PEI was on the ferry that was replaced by the bridge. All later trips were on the bridge, except one in 2013 on the Wood Islands ferry that's still in operation.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

Went in on the bridge in 2009, came back out on the bridge.  Haven't tried the ferry, and not sure when we'll make it up to PEI next...

ghYHZ

Well the Confederation Bridge was closed again on Sunday (Sept 20) for 7 hours but this time for a great cause......The 35th Anniversary of the Terry Fox Run. 

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/thousands-gather-for-terry-fox-run-across-confederation-bridge-1.2572622

Again.....you had the option of the NFL Ferry if you had to travel.

1995hoo

Do you have to deflate your tires before riding the NFL Ferry? :bigass:

webfil

If you ask that kind of question, you aren't brady to sail.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.