News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Any way to enable iframes?

Started by briantroutman, February 23, 2016, 02:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

If iframes were enabled, we'd be able to embed Google Maps and Street View scenes directly in our posts–which would be a huge benefit on a site where so many posts reference one or both of these. Is there any way we could add this capability?

hotdogPi

Quote from: briantroutman on February 23, 2016, 02:36:34 AM
If iframes were enabled, we'd be able to embed Google Maps and Street View scenes directly in our posts–which would be a huge benefit on a site where so many posts reference one or both of these. Is there any way we could add this capability?

I've done it before using Google Maps API. The API page seems to be gone now, but you can follow this format, where the three coordinates are latitude (here 44.496827 N), longitude (here 71.576228 W), and zoom (0 is the whole world, 19 is the closest possible in Google Maps): [img width=400 height=400]http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=44.496827,-71.576228&zoom=16&size=400x400[/img]

produces

This image was from the "Perfect 3-way intersection" thread.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

briantroutman

Thanks for the suggestion, but if you're going to have to track down coordinates and guess an appropriate zoom level, I don't think that's a practical workaround. You might as well take a screen capture and embed it as an image. Even so, it doesn't allow what the iframe-embedded Google Maps would: the ability to zoom and pan and toggle between satellite and map modes right on the page without having to go anywhere else.

pianocello

Quote from: briantroutman on February 23, 2016, 11:11:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but if you're going to have to track down coordinates and guess an appropriate zoom level, I don't think that's a practical workaround.

If you're using the "new" Google maps, all three of the coordinates should be in the URL.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Katavia

Quote from: 1 on February 23, 2016, 05:33:16 AM
Quote from: briantroutman on February 23, 2016, 02:36:34 AM

I've done it before using Google Maps API. The API page seems to be gone now, but you can follow this format, where the three coordinates are latitude (here 44.496827 N), longitude (here 71.576228 W), and zoom (0 is the whole world, 19 is the closest possible in Google Maps): [img width=400 height=400]http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=44.496827,-71.576228&zoom=16&size=400x400[/img]

produces

This image was from the "Perfect 3-way intersection" thread.
Quote from: pianocello on February 23, 2016, 03:50:18 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on February 23, 2016, 11:11:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but if you're going to have to track down coordinates and guess an appropriate zoom level, I don't think that's a practical workaround.

If you're using the "new" Google maps, all three of the coordinates should be in the URL.

We can't enable iframes without a security risk.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

hbelkins

Quote from: Katavia on April 10, 2016, 08:50:09 AM

"We?" There's a 13-year-old moderator here now?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Katavia

Quote from: hbelkins on April 10, 2016, 03:18:53 PM
Quote from: Katavia on April 10, 2016, 08:50:09 AM

"We?" There's a 13-year-old moderator here now?
Haaah no. I'm just good at that kind of stuff.

From the "How to put in street view images into AARForum"
Quote from: vtk on December 29, 2013, 12:51:48 AM
Also, better than simply generating a url to a static image, theoretically a modification to the software can make it possible and easy to embed pannable, zoomable Google maps and Street View scenes, hopefully without opening the can of worms that comes with allowing arbitrary iframes.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.