Most inappropriate speed limits

Started by Buffaboy, February 23, 2016, 07:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 24, 2016, 09:41:25 PM

Most school zones in Wisconsin and possibly Tennessee are also 15.  A limit of 15 is ridiculous, as it is not that hard to get up to 15 on a bicycle.  I think some cars I've been have almost idled that fast.

I lost it at the words "Idled that fast"  :rofl:
The ones in Illinois are 20 and that's excruciating.  When I saw my first Wisconsin school zone I was like  :banghead:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

SignGeek101

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 24, 2016, 11:19:47 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on February 24, 2016, 09:41:25 PM

Most school zones in Wisconsin and possibly Tennessee are also 15.  A limit of 15 is ridiculous, as it is not that hard to get up to 15 on a bicycle.  I think some cars I've been have almost idled that fast.

I lost it at the words "Idled that fast"  :rofl:
The ones in Illinois are 20 and that's excruciating.  When I saw my first Wisconsin school zone I was like  :banghead:

Here in Winnipeg, a city bylaw was passed limiting speed around schools to 30 km/h (18 mph). It's torture driving through there.

Winnipeg School Zone Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

paulthemapguy

Quote from: SignGeek101 on February 24, 2016, 11:28:26 PM

Here in Winnipeg, a city bylaw was passed limiting speed around schools to 30 km/h (18 mph). It's torture driving through there.

Winnipeg School Zone Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

Good Gawd.  Look at those time restrictions!  A lot of the signs here just say 'when children are present'.  Those Winnipeg signs are enforced during the entire school day, when the kids are INSIDE the school!  What's the point of that?

Kacie Jane

Beyond the school day even.  I know there are probably after-school activities, but what percentage of the students are there till 5:30 PM?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 24, 2016, 12:57:47 PM
School zones in PA have a ridiculously low posted speed limit of 15 mph whereas neighboring states (mainly NJ & DE) have either a 20 or 25 mph school zone speed limit.

Unless one's in a diesel-powered Yugo (I'm aware that no such animal exists, but just saying); a minor tap on the accelerator puts nearly every vehicle over 15 mph.

All of Delaware's school zones are 20 mph.  Still very slow.  I always compare this to the Delaware Memorial Bridge's speed limit of 20 mph approaching the tolls.  At the schools, the limit starts about 1,000 feet from the school.  Yet, on the bridge, it starts about 1/2 mile before the toll plaza.

In NJ, the school zone limit is generally 15 mph below the regular limit for schools from K-8, and 10 mph below the regular limit in high school.  Thus, school zones of 30 & 35 mph are fairly common.

paulthemapguy

The "When Children Are Present" is nice, because if you disobey the speed limit you can just say "there were kids around?  I didn't see any kids."  Instead of being restricted to lower speeds when school is in session, and all the kids are most likely indoors, you can just look for kids around.  If you don't see any, no need to slow down!  And life carries on.

Rothman

The time restriction at a local school zone here in the Capital District goes from 7:00 - 18:00 and notes on "School Days."  I've often wondered the risk at 6 p.m. as well for going 10 mph more (the regular speed limit on the road).

Also, I've wondered what would happen if I got pulled over on a day during the typical school year that the kids have off (a curriculum day or whatnot).

https://goo.gl/maps/ZNhfKwoXi1s
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

odditude

Quote from: bzakharin on February 24, 2016, 05:55:45 PM
Some 25 MPHs in Camden County NJ are ridiculous, like Chapel Avenue the entire way and the section of Church Road between NJ 38 and NJ 41 (goes up to 35 and 40 on either side).

i used to live in that area, and it was always the last mile to and from home that was the most painful.

Zeffy

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 25, 2016, 09:43:58 AM

The "When Children Are Present" is nice, because if you disobey the speed limit you can just say "there were kids around?  I didn't see any kids."  Instead of being restricted to lower speeds when school is in session, and all the kids are most likely indoors, you can just look for kids around.  If you don't see any, no need to slow down!  And life carries on.

My question is if I saw one kid in this zone, would I have to slow down? Is there a set number of children that must be present for that speed limit to be in effect?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Super Mateo

Ugh Lake Shore Drive/US 41.  The expressway portion north of Downtown Chicago is posted at 40.  It leaves drivers with a choice:

a) Be legal, but not safe, or
b) Be safe, but not legal.
c) Take a different road.

Option A (doing the speed limit of 40) will keep the cops away from you, but you'll anger other drivers to the point where they'll honk, shine their brights, and/or yell and gesture at you.  You will also get run off the road, tailed, and passed like you're standing still.  You'll also be fearing you'll be hit at any time. Option B (going with traffic flow) is much safer and won't anger drivers.  You're far less likely to be hit and other drivers won't be on your case.  However, at any point, a cop could be following you and asking why you think this you can drive like this is the Kennedy.  It's a no win situation.

I've tried both A and B, then stuck to option B, and got to meet the Chicago police.  I now pick option C.  I will not go on there again unless I absolutely have to.

TEG24601

School zones in PA have a ridiculously low posted speed limit of 15 mph whereas neighboring states (mainly NJ & DE) have either a 20 or 25 mph school zone speed limit.

Unless one's in a diesel-powered Yugo (I'm aware that no such animal exists, but just saying); a minor tap on the accelerator puts nearly every vehicle over 15 mph.

I was under the impression that speed limits under 20 were legally unenforceable.

School speed limits have never made any sense to me.  If you teach the kids to stay out of the road, there shouldn't be a need for them, especially in a city, where your typical side street is already 25, lowering it any further won't make much of a difference, and when you are in the country, where it is practically impossible to walk to school, it is just insulting to the kids, the parents, and the drivers.

As for insulting speed limits...
A local road, formerly 50 MPH is now 35 from an intersection adjacent to a High School for 1.5-2 miles past an elementary school, 24/7/365.  The road has shoulders large enough to accommodate parked busses the entire length.  There is no logical reason for this speed limit, at any time, let alone summer months or outside of school hours.

Another local road.  Was 50 MPH its entire length.  An older resident, who owned property with a long frontage along the road complained about excessive noise coming from the road, even though she lived nearly 1/4 mile from the roadway, in the local paper.  The county then, without any logical justification, changed one large section to 40 MPH, and the area in front of her home to 25 MPH, even though it is likely on of the straightest roads in the county.

There are also 3 sections of SR 525 on Whidbey Island that were 55 MPH that were lowered to 45 MPH due to a large number of driveways.  The problem is, that two of these locations already have center turn lanes, and the other just has too many driveways accessing the highway, instead of the adjacent streets.  They are trying to treat a symptom, instead of enforcing their "limited access" policy for these areas, and closing some highway access points.

Finally, SR 20 in Coupeville, WA.  This was formerly 55 MPH, until someone go drunk at a bar on the south side of town, and decided to walk home, in the dark, and cross the highway while wearing dark clothing.  Mind you that one block over, there is a pedestrian bridge.  He was hit, and severely injured.  As a knee jerk reaction the state lowered the speed limit for about 1 mile to 45 MPH.  The worst part, they wrapped the "Speed Limit 45" signs in white, flashing LEDs, which at night will nearly blind drivers.  Someone had enough one night and ripped the lights off of one sign, and I can't wait for them to do it to the other.

All of these roadways meet or exceed safety designs, and given the quality of the roadways and the sight distances, they are very insulting to drivers, who can actually drive.  Then again, that seems to be a common thing in Washington and Oregon, compared to other states I've driven in.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TEG24601 on February 25, 2016, 11:43:22 AM

I was under the impression that speed limits under 20 were legally unenforceable.

Any speed limit is enforceable as long as it meets all the criteria for such a speed limit.  15 mph school zones, for example, are definitely enforceable.

Brandon

Quote from: Super Mateo on February 25, 2016, 11:20:23 AM
Ugh Lake Shore Drive/US 41.  The expressway portion north of Downtown Chicago is posted at 40.  It leaves drivers with a choice:

Option A (doing the speed limit of 40) will keep the cops away from you, but you'll anger other drivers to the point where they'll honk, shine their brights, and/or yell and gesture at you.  You will also get run off the road, tailed, and passed like you're standing still.  You'll also be fearing you'll be hit at any time. Option B (going with traffic flow) is much safer and won't anger drivers.  You're far less likely to be hit and other drivers won't be on your case.  However, at any point, a cop could be following you and asking why you think this you can drive like this is the Kennedy.  It's a no win situation.

I've tried both A and B, then stuck to option B, and got to meet the Chicago police.  I now pick option C.  I will not go on there again unless I absolutely have to.

My experience is to simply stay in the flow.  Never had a problem with the CPD doing that, and have been passed by them many times on LSD.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Rothman

Quote from: Brandon on February 25, 2016, 12:27:28 PM

My experience is to simply stay in the flow.  Never had a problem with the CPD doing that, and have been passed by them many times on LSD.

Driving safely while on LSD is indeed a talent.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

A local road was partially dropped from 55 to 50 a few years ago. Everyone still goes at least 55 on the 50 section.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

mapman1071

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 25, 2016, 11:54:33 AM
Quote from: TEG24601 on February 25, 2016, 11:43:22 AM

Any speed limit is enforceable as long as it meets all the criteria for such a speed limit.  15 mph school zones, for example, are definitely enforceable.

Arizona School Zones are Highly Enforced at 15mph with Double Fines starting at 16mph

kkt

So far, all of them have been places where the speed limit is too low.  Any where the posted speed limit is too high?

cl94

Quote from: kkt on February 25, 2016, 05:41:32 PM
So far, all of them have been places where the speed limit is too low.  Any where the posted speed limit is too high?

Quote from: cl94 on February 24, 2016, 01:32:17 PM
-NY 377, Menands, currently 55. Should probably be decreased to 45 due to population density, but I love this old sign.

There are a bunch of 55 zones in New York that other states would post lower, but this one is in the middle of a residential neighborhood.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Pink Jazz

Texas is the only state that has two lane undivided roads with 75 mph speed limits, where most states would post them at 55-65 mph (with only a few at 70 mph).

Also, Until December 31, 2015, New Mexico also had a default 75 mph speed limit on county roads with no posted speed limit (including dirt roads); it has since been lowered to 55 mph.

cl94

Warren CR 7 is 55 winding along the side of a mountain

Saratoga CR 24 spends much of its time wedged between cliffs and the Hudson River, also 55. Further upstream is this dirt road. 55.

New York is 55 unless otherwise posted and it creates a slew of scenarios where the technical limit on roads that can't take fast traffic is 55. Some towns and counties sign reasonable limits. Many do not. Don't get me wrong- I love being able to go 55 on so many of the rural roads, but there are many cases where 55 is asking for trouble. As with New Mexico, dirt roads are included in that 55.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Buffaboy

Ouch! LSD should be 50 MPH, at the very least. I can say this because I was on it once in my life.

(Don't read into that more than you should).
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

vdeane

Another one: I-781 has 45 mph zones half a mile before each end.  Yes, even I-81.  It feels painfully slow.  At some point, Region 7 also lowered I-81 to 40 mph for the half mile approaching the Thousand Islands Bridge toll barrier and the mile before customs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on February 25, 2016, 09:41:50 PM
Another one: I-781 has 45 mph zones half a mile before each end.  Yes, even I-81.  It feels painfully slow.  At some point, Region 7 also lowered I-81 to 40 mph for the half mile approaching the Thousand Islands Bridge toll barrier and the mile before customs.

Yeah, I've noticed that. NYSDOT typically only lowers to 55 approaching the end. Do they actually enforce it?

PHLBOS

Quote from: mapman1071 on February 25, 2016, 04:53:04 PMArizona School Zones are Highly Enforced at 15mph with Double Fines starting at 16mph
Given that only police vehicles have certified-calibrated speedometers; it would be very tough to pull over somebody who's doing 16 in a 15 zone.  The simple reason being that even if the needle is on the 15 mark; one's actual speed could be slightly higher or lower.  A 10% variance could yield a 15 speedometer equaling 16 actual.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

RobbieL2415

Any 55mph "State Speed Limit" in NYS outside of immediate downtown areas is inappropriate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.