News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I'm BAAACK!

Started by VTGoose, March 10, 2016, 02:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTGoose

Well, it's been a few years, but the planets aligned and I found this "new" replacement for the once-robust misc.transport.road newsgroup. Life got busy and I dropped out of participation there about 6-7 years ago (but I never lost interest in roads and transportation). We had some interesting discussions (and some knock-down drag-out fights) there, mainly about "left-lane blockers" and who had the ultimate right to cruise that lane without having to slow down. I coined the term "DIG" drivers (Damn! I'm Good!) for those who believed that they should not have to slow down or brake from their excessive speed and whined about anyone in the left lane who caused that unfortunate event. I'm sure there are still those who believe the road ahead should be clear and anyone within 5 miles ahead of them should drop any thoughts of pulling out to pass a slower vehicle (even if they, too, are exceeding the speed limit).

In the intervening years, there have been a number of road trips added to the log, some one-time trips and several repeats from Point A to Point B. There have been multiple trips between Southwest Virginia and central Vermont to shuffle #3 son back and forth to school at the New England Culinary Institute. The move of #2 son to the Tampa area last spring has resulted in several trips south, including a long, long drive through backwoods Georgia to avoid post New Year's traffic on I-95 (there really needs to be another N/S interstate between I-75 and I-95 running via Augusta).

I see there are still some hangers-on from the m.t.r. days and I look forward to reconnecting with them and the good discussions that went on back in "the old days."

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

freebrickproductions

Welcome to AAroads from Huntsville, AL!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hotdogPi

Welcome from Massachusetts!
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SignGeek101

Welcome from sandy Winnipeg!

froggie

Yes, plenty of MTR regulars here on the AARoads forum.  Though, for better or worse, some of the more "colorful" MTR regulars either are not here or don't post anymore...

Curious about your Blacksburg-Montpelier trips, given that I made a number of Norfolk-or-Fairfax-County to Lyndonville trips before I retired from the Navy.

oscar

As another MTR refugee, I remember you, and look forward to hearing more from you now that you're on this forum.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

noelbotevera

I foraged on MTR recently...welcome back, from south-central Pennsylvania.

hbelkins

Long time, no see. When I was in Blacksburg for a week 13 years ago, I met you and Rush Wickes for lunch. One of the first roadgeek meetups in which I ever participated.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

Welcome, from a Hokie!!!!  I graduated from Virginia Tech almost two years ago now.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Thing 342

Always good to have more Hokies on the board. Welcome Back!

authenticroadgeek

I'm not a misc.transport.road refugee. In fact, I had to look that up to know what it is. But welcome back to the roadgeeking community :spin:

ModernDayWarrior

Welcome back! I'm from southeast Missouri, and fairly new to the roadgeek community.

wolfiefrick

Welcome to the AARoads forum from sunny St. Louis!

Alps

You sound like a LLB.

paulthemapguy

Hahaha I like that.  We should whip up a new thread about goofy names we have for drivers right quick!  That should make for some cheap laughs which are ALWAYS a good thing to see here imo.  Welcome!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Alex

Glad to have you on the board.

My MTR days were mostly 1999 through to the early 2000s. Several of us are here.

Quote from: hbelkins on March 11, 2016, 03:30:57 PM
Long time, no see. When I was in Blacksburg for a week 13 years ago, I met you and Rush Wickes for lunch. One of the first roadgeek meetups in which I ever participated.

Rush was the second roadgeek I ever met in person from MTR (Froggie was the first).

jbnati27

Welcome from Cincinnati!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.