News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Potential uses for reserved Light Blue color

Started by Pink Jazz, March 14, 2016, 07:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP Cook

You are missing the point of a "reserved color" in the first place.   You do not split up a current catagory into two just to use up a color.  Rather the colors were assigned and several "reserved" for things not then existing. 

Therefore, IF (the largest word in the world) self-driving cars ever actually exist in the real world, it seems that the next color would be a series related to whatever differences apply to such. 

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

I've always liked the use of different colors to distinguish carriageway-specific signs along the lines of what vdeane cited in Toronto.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: SP Cook on June 23, 2017, 11:27:39 AM
You are missing the point of a "reserved color" in the first place.   You do not split up a current catagory into two just to use up a color.  Rather the colors were assigned and several "reserved" for things not then existing. 

Therefore, IF (the largest word in the world) self-driving cars ever actually exist in the real world, it seems that the next color would be a series related to whatever differences apply to such.

Arguably the Incident Management was a split of a category, although no color was reserved prior to then.  It was originally supposed to use Coral, however, Fluorescent Pink was found to be more effective, leaving Coral unassigned.

Also, was FYG ever a reserved color, or was it assigned from the start?  The problem is that DOTs can't agree on what is its purpose - should it be the color to warn of non-motorized traffic, or should it be exclusive to school zones?

Scott5114

I would guess that coral and light blue probably won't be used for anything just because they look like faded versions of more commonplace signs.  If they are, I'd imagine it would be for something where the difference is trivial–there's not really much difference in meaning if you mistake yellow-green for yellow, for instance. So I would imagine if light blue were to be used, it would be for some kind of subset of service signage. Likewise for coral and orange.

You could probably get away with gray/white without it being mistaken for anything else, especially since there aren't many black-background signs around.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 23, 2017, 02:15:28 PM

You could probably get away with gray/white without it being mistaken for anything else, especially since there aren't many black-background signs around.

VDOT has a lot of black background signs (the infamous "Speed Monitored by Aircraft" signs).

My guess the reason for the lack of black background signs in general is due to the fact that black is a non-retroreflective sheeting color.  This is the reason why it was deleted from the final rule of the 2009 MUTCD as one of the allowable background colors for street name signs.

I'm not sure how you would make retroreflective gray sheeting.  Would it be a dark silver instead?

Dustin DeWinn

This is a narrow application, but I think it could be used for temporary traffic management so would be a large (like the orange and pink ones) when warnings are not the primary signal. For instance, it could be used to indicate where to proceed, where to enter, or be used in for wayfinding and navigation.

So if you're trying to direct traffic (not re-direct as you would in a detour) at a large event, such as at a stadium or convention center, and want people to know where to park or enter (if there are multiple options), it could help direct traffic.

Hope that makes sense...

Dustin DeWinn

I also have one separate question. I've seen some sites say that (even though they're very different) fluorescent pink was chosen over coral....so coral was apparently found to be ineffective and now we have the pink signs instead.

Is that true, or are they still open to using coral should an appropriate application be found?

MikeTheActuary

I wonder if there would be any value in using light blue to designate different regulatory/guide signs for HOV/HOT lanes in close proximity to the primary carriageway, instead of using the white-on-black lozenge commonly used today.

Other possibilities would be:
* Temporary special-event guide signage ("Superbowl Parking »»»»")
* Signage pertaining to flying cars (it could happen, someday....)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on November 28, 2017, 10:09:52 AM
I also have one separate question. I've seen some sites say that (even though they're very different) fluorescent pink was chosen over coral....so coral was apparently found to be ineffective and now we have the pink signs instead.

Is that true, or are they still open to using coral should an appropriate application be found?

Coral remains a reserved color, however, as for it being ever used for anything, I am not sure about that.

Note that Fluorescent Pink still remains optional for Incident Management, with Orange still being allowed.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 28, 2017, 12:39:00 PM

Or self-driving cars, which is more likely to happen sooner.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

Quote from: Pink Jazz on June 23, 2017, 05:06:56 PM
I'm not sure how you would make retroreflective gray sheeting.  Would it be a dark silver instead?

The same way you make green sheeting, but instead of using green pigments you use a watered-down black that still lets most light through.

paulthemapguy

Since airports are such a huge hub for automobile transportation, I think we could use the light blue color to indicate airports and their related infrastructure.  Light blue makes people think of the sky...airplanes use the sky.  It's pretty intuitive I think.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Scott5114

Maybe, but I don't think there's enough airport related signage that a separate color would be all that useful. Most of the time it's just a one-off supplementary sign like "KCI Airport/Exit 418A" or something like that.

index

Perhaps it could be used for things that involve laws/police/police checks/etc or border crossings, or both?

I can't really think of any examples at the moment, but I know there are definitely some cases in which this could be used.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Quote from: index on December 01, 2017, 12:30:58 PM
Perhaps it could be used for things that involve laws/police/police checks/etc or border crossings, or both?

I can't really think of any examples at the moment, but I know there are definitely some cases in which this could be used.

MIGRANT SERVICE CENTER on I-57 in Illinois

IMMIGRATION CHECK POINT on US-277/US-377 in Texas

WARNING | ILLEGAL TO CARRY FIREARMS/AMMUNITION INTO MEXICO | PENALTY - PRISON BY MEXICAN LAW on Loop-239 in Texas

INSPECTION STATION | ALL VEHICLES STOP on I-10/US-95 in California

ALL LIVESTOCK VEHICLES STOP | LIVESTOCK | POULTRY - EXOTICS | INSPECTION STATION NEXT EXIT on I-35/US-77 in Texas
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

UCFKnights

I wonder if there would be any value in using light blue to designate different regulatory/guide signs for HOV/HOT lanes in close proximity to the primary carriageway, instead of using the white-on-black lozenge commonly used today.

I have to imagine flying cars won't really "need" signage.

But I like the HOV signs idea as light blue. I feel like all signs for the HOT lanes should be purple though.

I feel like temporary special event guide signage should be pink as well, as it is, the few uses of the pink incident management signs are so rare and so close to the construction uses, that expanding it to that would be great.

US71

Quote from: UCFKnights on December 01, 2017, 09:31:41 PM

I have to imagine flying cars won't really "need" signage.

But I like the HOV signs idea as light blue. I feel like all signs for the HOT lanes should be purple though.

I feel like temporary special event guide signage should be pink as well, as it is, the few uses of the pink incident management signs are so rare and so close to the construction uses, that expanding it to that would be great.

I see pink around here as temp signs warning of logging trucks
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Pink Jazz

One thing that I don't understand is that why the MUTCD doesn't make Fluorescent Pink mandatory for incident management.  As of the 2009 MUTCD it still remains as an option as an alternative to the traditional Orange.  I know that Minnesota initially refused to adopt it in its State MUTCD, and didn't adopt it until much later after it was added to the national MUTCD as an option.

Scott5114

Probably to allow agencies to save on cost. Incidents that require signage are so rare that it's hard for some states to justify having a set of pink signs ready to go when they have hundreds of orange ones with the same messages sitting around.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 03, 2017, 12:50:58 PM
Probably to allow agencies to save on cost. Incidents that require signage are so rare that it's hard for some states to justify having a set of pink signs ready to go when they have hundreds of orange ones with the same messages sitting around.

Of course, usually these signs are typically made of flexible mesh or vinyl, and don't really have a very long life.  Here in the Phoenix area Fluorescent Pink seems to be the norm here for incident management nowadays, probably as the older Orange signs have been replaced by Fluorescent Pink ones.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.