News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Stupid street or road names

Started by 1995hoo, April 30, 2016, 01:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Last weekend driving home on the Fairfax County Parkway I passed the intersection of New Road in Burke and I found myself thinking, as I often do, that it's a really stupid name for a street. Almost seems like it was a placeholder name during construction that was never fixed when the development was finished.

Another similar name I've always thought was really stupid is Temporary Road in Reston. It's been there at least since the 1980s, because I remember seeing the name back when I was learning to drive and thinking how stupid it was.

Anyone got any other examples of street names that are just dumb? Doesn't have to be a placeholder-type name; I just cited those two as being the ones that prompted me to think of this issue. I think Avenue Road in Toronto is a pretty stupid name, too. (I suppose Google Maps, assuming it's accurate, at least clarifies the old question of whether it's a road named "Avenue" or an avenue named "Road.")
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Norman has a fairly major street called Cedar Lane Road. Is it a lane or a road?

Likewise, there is a street just outside of Goldsby that had subdivision-like signs reading "Ladd Road Lane". Presumably this was meant to be the street's name. This street branches off of South Ladd Avenue (not to be confused with the east-west Ladd Road). Too many Ladds! Mercifully, when the county went through putting up 911 signage it became 266th Street. The "Ladd Road Lane" signs have since disappeared.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

In Cobb County GA, there is a road called East-West Connector.  Looks like a planning name for a future road but the name somehow stuck.

paulthemapguy

I always enjoyed seeing this sign driving down I-75 in Tennessee:  https://goo.gl/maps/tz5dsZx89Vz
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Kacie Jane

"Double suffixes" appear in at least two instances in Whatcom County, Washington, where the roads are called James Street and Yew Street inside Bellingham city limits, but change to James Street Road and Yew Street Road across the city line.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 30, 2016, 03:37:30 PM
"Double suffixes" appear in at least two instances in Whatcom County, Washington, where the roads are called James Street and Yew Street inside Bellingham city limits, but change to James Street Road and Yew Street Road across the city line.
That's actually pretty common in rural areas where a local street in a small town is extended out of the town limits.  Since road names are pretty loosely assigned in the countrysides out of town, they'll just name the "road" after the street it connects to in the nearby town.

Sykotyk

I see a lot of 'street' or 'lane' or 'avenue' get turned into 'road' when continued outside the city or town. It seems to be another common theme. Maybe because the jurisdiction (township or just the county as a whole) only recognizes a few designations

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Ned Weasel

Old Highway 56, Olathe, Kansas.

https://goo.gl/maps/xvpwmToVH8S2

Actually, it's not really stupid.  It's just lazy.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 30, 2016, 10:36:43 PM
Not sure how to feel when the road above me is a freeway yet is somehow called "Blvd".

My guess is that's just a remnant of the past, much like how MN 77 is still officially called Cedar Avenue despite having its entire length being a full freeway today.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

DandyDan

MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

dgolub

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 30, 2016, 01:01:37 PM
I think Avenue Road in Toronto is a pretty stupid name, too. (I suppose Google Maps, assuming it's accurate, at least clarifies the old question of whether it's a road named "Avenue" or an avenue named "Road.")

There's also Street Road (PA 132) down near Philadelphia.

noelbotevera

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 01, 2016, 12:03:21 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on April 30, 2016, 10:36:43 PM
Not sure how to feel when the road above me is a freeway yet is somehow called "Blvd".

My guess is that's just a remnant of the past, much like how MN 77 is still officially called Cedar Avenue despite having its entire length being a full freeway today.
I think it is, though there is a non freeway portion. Trying to dig on the Internet, but history of Loop 12 is sparse, so I'm betting this was a surface street before being converted into a freeway.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jeffandnicole

A lot of road names in NJ are simply the names of the towns or areas they connect with. Swedesboro-Paulsboro Road, Berlin-Cross Keys Road, Woodbury-Glassboro Road, etc.

TEG24601

This would more qualify as redundant names, but here it goes...

When Indiana completed the Hoosier Heartland Highway, from Logansport to Lafayette, they bypassed the little city of Delphi (much of my Dad's family lives in the area).  The HHH is SR 25.  SR 25 used to travel through downtown on Main Street.  So naturally, outside of the city limits, this became "Old 25" or "Old SR 25".  However, that roadway itself was a bypass of the original routing of SR 25 into town, which was already called "Old 25".  So rather than coming up with new names for everything there is now "Old Old 25" and "Old 25" and even the people there get confused.  On top of that, the roadway that carried SR 25 prior to the bypassing by the HHH, has itself had several routings, each being called Main St. within the city limits.  However, as 25 moved to different ROWs, they retained the name Main St.  So there is a section of town, with 3 different roads, all called Main St., which are signed as such, but don't all touch (anymore).  Needless to say it is confusing, and this is just in the NE side of town.

On the SW side, INDOT moved the HHH much further from the old highway, than in the NE section.  As a result, the old section is also called Old SR 25, causing more confusion.  It is much easier to handle, but the city really needs to rename their roads so they are consistent, and perhaps, INDOT or the County should come up with a different name for dis-used sections of highway, once bypassed.
-------
Now I'm not just picking on INDOT, as WSDOT is nearly as bad.  When I-5 replaced US 99 from boarder to boarder, the sections that were not retained as SR 99, largely reverted to their local names.  However, huge swaths of route, didn't have a local name.  As a result, much of Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, Lewis, and Clark Counties, have roadways called "Old Hwy 99".  What is worse, is that the city of Vancouver, has a roadway called Hwy 99.  It of course isn't a highway, and is also confusing, due to the close proximity to the Oregon Highway 99(s) in Portland.  I suspect that this is the only thing stoping ODOT from changing 99E North of Multnomah to just 99 (as 99W ends downtown, without reconnecting to 99E, yet).
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

NE2

Anything named after mezzanine Ronald Reagan.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

There is a street in Orange County, FL called Meadowmouse Lane.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: NE2 on May 01, 2016, 11:18:24 AM

Anything named after George W. Bush. He doesn't deserve any more than a landfill.

Personally I find anything named Pearson somewhat stupid, as I have irreversibly tied that last name to the syndrome of the same name. But that doesn't have stopped me from throwing things with that name into my fantasy maps.

Gropecunt Lane :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

paulthemapguy

SignGeek101

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 01, 2016, 04:42:13 PM
Quote from: NE2 on May 01, 2016, 11:18:24 AM

Anything named after George W. Bush. He doesn't deserve any more than a landfill.

Personally I find anything named Pearson somewhat stupid, as I have irreversibly tied that last name to the syndrome of the same name. But that doesn't have stopped me from throwing things with that name into my fantasy maps.

Gropecunt Lane :sombrero:.

You wouldn't want to fly to Toronto then.

hotdogPi

Toll Rd., Salisbury, MA. It is not a toll road. While it does connect to I-95, you are not forced onto I-95, and Exit 1 in New Hampshire is free anyway.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1 on May 01, 2016, 05:07:20 PM
Toll Rd., Salisbury, MA. It is not a toll road. While it does connect to I-95, you are not forced onto I-95, and Exit 1 in New Hampshire is free anyway.

Shunpike Rd near Cape May NJ is not particularly useful for toll avoidance...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.