News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: Strider on May 27, 2017, 04:42:31 PM
Quote from: LM117 on May 26, 2017, 08:15:44 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 26, 2017, 06:02:09 PM
Edging back from fictional territory, here's what I think (from an NC point of view, that is).

Conversion of US 74 to an interstate from I-26 to Wilmington: It's pretty much inevitable. Watch Shelby. With construction on the Shelby Bypass underway, it's only a matter of time before someone in Shelby says, why don't we have this as an interstate highway? And Wilmington is on record wanting an interstate connection along US 74.

Conversion of all of US 17 in NC to an interstate: not impossible, but not any time soon. We'll see additional freeway sections, but I don't see any push for a full interstate.

Connecting I-74 to Myrtle Beach: never going to happen. NCDOT has zero motivation to build that section through the swamps from US 74 to US 17.

US-74's conversion between I-26 and Wilmington would probably be made up of shorter interstates rather than one long 3-di. I-x26 between I-26 and I-85, I-x74 between I-485 and I-74 in Rockingham. It would certainly be easier than trying to ram one long corridor through Congress.

I don't see a push for US-17 (sans I-87) to become an interstate, either.

I also don't see NCDOT sending I-74 to Myrtle Beach. I-74's routing through the swamps is a huge invitation for lawsuits. Hell, NCDOT is already being sued over the US-70 Havelock Bypass and it hasn't even broke ground yet.

I don't see I-74 going to Myrtle Beach either. There is no reason for it to be. and NCDOT is being sued over US-70 Havelock Bypass? What's up with that?

The lawsuit was filed last December by the SELC on behalf of the Sierra Club.

http://m.carolinacoastonline.com/news_times/article_50712c34-ce90-11e6-9881-032046d32e11.html?mode=jqm
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

slorydn1

The only thing I hate more than a NIMBY is a rabid environmentalist-not the ones truly concerned with curbing toxic waste dumps, things of that nature, but the ones who are all in on suing because a couple of trees get cut down.

The Sierra Club is concerned that some 100 year old tall long leaf pines will have to be cut down for this road. They need to get their ass out of the forest so they can see all the trees, because the Croatan is loaded with millions of them, the loss of a few thousand to put the road through is not that big a deal.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

orulz

There are some places where cuttings few trees down really is a big deal. And sometimes there are reasonable compromise positions that strike a balance. To me, the problem comes when environmental organizations stop looking for those reasonable compromises or get hijacked by outside interests with ulterior motives.

Strider

Quote from: orulz on June 01, 2017, 09:07:28 AM
There are some places where cuttings few trees down really is a big deal. And sometimes there are reasonable compromise positions that strike a balance. To me, the problem comes when environmental organizations stop looking for those reasonable compromises or get hijacked by outside interests with ulterior motives.

When the DOTs follow the proper procedures, they shouldn't get sued, but get sued anyways. I think the NIMBYs are just out for money.

Finrod

The problem is, most environmental organizations don't want reasonable compromise, they want what they want and damn the rest of humanity.  I get the strong feeling that some of them don't even want human beings on the planet at all.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

The Ghostbuster

I've heard that environmentalists believe humans are the cancer of the Earth. So they would oppose anything that benefits humanity.

NE2

I've heard that environmentalists want to eat your firstborn child.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bob7374

NC Governor Cooper officially 'opens' new section of I-73 in Greensboro (entire route won't really be open until July):
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=13938

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: Strider on June 01, 2017, 12:45:22 PM

When the DOTs follow the proper procedures, they shouldn't get sued, but get sued anyways. I think the NIMBYs are just out for money.
Or attention...

Finrod

To me, the problem comes when environmental organizations stop looking for those reasonable compromises or get hijacked by outside interests with ulterior motives.
This is an example of Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy.

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/reports/jerryp/iron.html

Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people:

First, there will be those who are devoted to the goals of the organization. Examples are dedicated classroom teachers in an educational bureaucracy, many of the engineers and launch technicians and scientists at NASA, even some agricultural scientists and advisors in the former Soviet Union collective farming administration.

Secondly, there will be those dedicated to the organization itself. Examples are many of the administrators in the education system, many professors of education, many teachers union officials, much of the NASA headquarters staff, etc.

The Iron Law states that in every case the second group will gain and keep control of the organization. It will write the rules, and control promotions within the organization.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

bob7374

This NCDOT press release has a link to a video showing the ribbon-cutting for I-73 and the taxiway bridge, including views of the I-73 roadway under construction:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=13972

I have also posted recent photos contributed of Rockingham Bypass construction on my I-73 Segment 11 page:
http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg11.html

bob7374

An NCDOT official has told Strider that the I-73 section between Bryan Blvd. and NC 68 should open next Friday, June 30, barring a lot of rain in the next week.

Strider

Quote from: bob7374 on June 23, 2017, 09:17:36 PM
An NCDOT official has told Strider that the I-73 section between Bryan Blvd. and NC 68 should open next Friday, June 30, barring a lot of rain in the next week.

It has been moved to July 3rd per this link:

http://myfox8.com/2017/06/27/bryan-boulevard-to-open-in-july-following-construction/

bob7374

The completion of the I-73/I-74 Rockingham Bypass has been added back to the 2018-2027 Draft STIP for Division 8. The project is now to start in 2026:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=14010]

It appears though that the project to upgrade US 74 to Interstate Standards in Scotland and Robeson counties is still unfunded. Perhaps though once the Rockingham project gets closer to starting there will be a move to complete the missing part of I-74 from Rockingham to Maxton.

The Division 6 STIP though has been modified to move the creation of an interchange for US 74 at Boardman Road in Columbus County from 2025 to 2021:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=14009]

Strider

2026 is a little far away, but at least it is better than unfunded. Should have been completed along with the current construction, IMO.

Strider

The section of I-73 from Bryan/I-840 to NC 68 (Exit 107-110) will be open on Sunday between 8pm and Midnight. The construction is finished. They are putting signs up in hurry. When that road is open, there will be a continuous I-73 from Exit 25 to Exit 119 for now.

bob7374

The new section of I-73 is open. There's some video of driving along the new roadway in this news story:
http://myfox8.com/2017/07/03/bryan-boulevard-reopens-following-construction/

Roadsguy

Is it all now in (at least roughly) its final configuration, including the old Bryan Blvd. dead-ending? If so I'll update OSM.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Strider

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 03, 2017, 12:51:32 PM
Is it all now in (at least roughly) its final configuration, including the old Bryan Blvd. dead-ending? If so I'll update OSM.

Yes, that is right. it is the final configuration.

BrianP

So the trumpet interchange on NC 68 that used to be part of Bryan Blvd connects to what now?  Has the signage on NC 68 changed for the exit?  Seems likely that this should be put on the overpowered interchange list.

Roadsguy

There's still the light there, but past that it narrows to two lanes and ends at a cul-de-sac right before the new I-73.

More questions though: has all the signage along Bryan Blvd. and the Urban Loop been updated to make I-73 continuous? Also, is it known where the Bryan Blvd name now ends for the expressway segment? The airport interchange? The 73/future 840 interchange? And what's the speed limit on this latest connector and the segment that opened earlier?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Strider

Quote from: BrianP on July 03, 2017, 03:18:15 PM
So the trumpet interchange on NC 68 that used to be part of Bryan Blvd connects to what now?  Has the signage on NC 68 changed for the exit?  Seems likely that this should be put on the overpowered interchange list.

It is now connected to Regional Road (local access only) and ends right before at I-73/PTI Airport interchange (Exit 109).

Yes, it is just changed to "Old Bryan Blvd" for that trumpet interchange. The reminder of the signages will be changed after the holiday.

Strider

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 03, 2017, 03:23:08 PM

More questions though: has all the signage along Bryan Blvd. and the Urban Loop been updated to make I-73 continuous? Also, is it known where the Bryan Blvd name now ends for the expressway segment? The airport interchange? The 73/future 840 interchange? And what's the speed limit on this latest connector and the segment that opened earlier?

Nope. Some current signs still exist, so after the holiday, NCDOT will immediately go back to work and change every signage to make I-73 continuous. For now, the VMS directs motorists to I-73 North.

Bryan Blvd now start at I-73/I-840 interchange and going east. The speed limit on the connector is 65 once you go past the PTI Airport interchange. 55 between the PTI Airport and I-840/I-73 interchange.

jcarte29

The taxiway bridge looks impressive!
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

bob7374

I have posted photos Strider has taken of the new segment of I-73, including the taxiway bridge:

All the images are on my I-73 Segment 4 page:
http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg4.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.