News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Great Lake Circle Tour Signs

Started by codyg1985, August 03, 2016, 01:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Which states do a good job of signing the scenic "Lake XXX" Circle Tour" signs? It seems that Wisconsin and Michigan are great at it. What about the other Great Lakes states?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota used to be better. Brandon and I were discussing it on Sunday that the signs are hit or miss, and although the route outside Duluth is pretty static the route in Duluth itself is unsigned completely which could be confusing.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cbeach40

Ontario does not sign them. MTO got out of the tourist route signs years ago, and the Ministry of Tourism & Culture have not pursued it. Essex County have done a bit of a job with the Lake Erie one, but that's only a small part.
There is the Georgian Bay Circle Route that was done, but that's not really much.

So aside from Lake Michigan, "circle" routes are quite a misnomer.
and waterrrrrrr!

ET21

I see them on Lake Shore Drive, but outside of that not really anywhere else in IL
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Jim

These were still near Thessalon, ON, as of last summer:

And this near Wawa, ON:

Both on ON 17.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Buck87

I see them quite a bit in Ohio, especially in the Sandusky Bay area

cbeach40

Quote from: Jim on August 05, 2016, 02:02:42 PM
These were still near Thessalon, ON, as of last summer:
And this near Wawa, ON:
Both on ON 17.

The Thessalon ones were still there in May as well. There's still a few remnants around, but nothing new that's gone up in many years. And certainly nothing that could be followed - between the blue Water Bridge and Sudbury there's only one that I can recall as still standing.
and waterrrrrrr!

pianocello

For Indiana, I don't think I've seen any Lake Michigan Circle Tour signs in Lake County. As for Porter and LaPorte Counties, I honestly don't remember. Guess I'll have to re-clinch US-12 in Indiana!
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

thenetwork

Ohio has been very good at signing their Lake Erie Circle Tour route -- usually posting the guide signs in tandem with the highway shields every 5-10 miles and at all the intersections where the route turns onto another road.

Michigan, IIRC only really placed the guide signs at turning points of the route, but not as occasional reassurance markers.

PA and NY were well-signed as well at turning points, but I can't remember if they were big on random reassurance markers.

Brandon

Quote from: thenetwork on August 09, 2016, 01:59:45 AM
Ohio has been very good at signing their Lake Erie Circle Tour route -- usually posting the guide signs in tandem with the highway shields every 5-10 miles and at all the intersections where the route turns onto another road.

Michigan, IIRC only really placed the guide signs at turning points of the route, but not as occasional reassurance markers.

PA and NY were well-signed as well at turning points, but I can't remember if they were big on random reassurance markers.

Michigan's actually pretty good at signing them: https://goo.gl/maps/n4DueC9VaMs
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

codyg1985

All I see on GSV in NY and PA are shields for the Seaway Trail.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

thenetwork

Quote from: Brandon on August 09, 2016, 06:58:49 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 09, 2016, 01:59:45 AM

Michigan's actually pretty good at signing them: https://goo.gl/maps/n4DueC9VaMs

I was speaking more on the Lake Erie Circle Tour, in more urbanized Southeast Michigan.  At least they are doing it right in the UP.

bulldog1979

MDOT seems to have made a concerted effort in the last few years to bring the Michigan Heritage Route and National Scenic Byway signage up to the same level as the Circle Tour signage, and improve the already decent Circle Tour signage as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.