News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roads named after Jimmy Carter or Michael Dukakis

Started by bandit957, August 06, 2016, 01:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexandriaVA

Boston's South Station, the busiest rail station in Massachusetts and the one of the busiest nationally, is named after Dukakis ("The Governor Michael S. Dukakis Transportation Center at South Station"). This is probably the best honor you could bestow on him since he's a huge advocate of public transportation funding (via his Wikipedia page):

QuoteResidents of the city of Boston and its surrounding areas remember him for the improvements he made to Boston's mass transit system, especially major renovations to the city's trains and buses. He was known for riding the subway to work every day as governor.

dvferyance

I don't believe either Bush has anything named after them outside of Texas. Reagan is just the one exception. As far as Nixon goes I believe there is a freeway in California named after him.

sparker

At one point, both "freeway" sections of CA 90: Marina del Rey and Yorba Linda, had signage indicating that it was the Richard M. Nixon Freeway.  Now that the Yorba Linda section has been effectively -- or partially -- decommissioned (that occurred just as I was moving to Northern Calif.), I am unaware of the current status of either section regarding such signage (it had been years since I used the western segment of CA 90).  Any posters have more recent info on this?

Dan Faigin's site has the decommissioned part of the former CA 90 facility listed as being dubbed the "Richard Nixon Parkway" (the city, who now owns the roadway, apparently didn't want any reference to a freeway showing).  If there's signage as such, verification or pix would be appreciated!   

english si

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on August 09, 2016, 04:45:43 PM
Boston's South Station, the busiest rail station in Massachusetts and the one of the busiest nationally, is named after Dukakis ("The Governor Michael S. Dukakis Transportation Center at South Station").
He didn't want it named such, though said the N-S line between North and South stations would be fine.

1995hoo

Quote from: dvferyance on August 20, 2016, 01:42:28 PM
I don't believe either Bush has anything named after them outside of Texas. Reagan is just the one exception. As far as Nixon goes I believe there is a freeway in California named after him.

The first Bush has CIA headquarters in Virginia named for him, but it makes sense since he was DCI for a time in the 1970s.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ibagli

Quote from: dvferyance on August 20, 2016, 01:42:28 PM

There's an apartment complex in Reynoldsburg, Ohio with streets apparently named after presidents. One is Bush Boulevard.

roadman65

Quote from: bandit957 on August 06, 2016, 12:13:59 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on August 06, 2016, 08:07:26 AM
Dukakis was not President, just ran and lost.. i doubt there is any where other than his home town.. or named for Olympia Dukakis

Technically, he wasn't President, but he should still count. I think he should get a presidential museum just like all other recent Presidents.
Then we might as well give Bob Dole one, and Mitt Romney one also.  The point is if you run for president you have to win and be president to get all the honors of being one.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DevalDragon

Quote from: roadman65 on September 15, 2016, 08:12:16 PM
Dukakis was not President, just ran and lost.. i doubt there is any where other than his home town.. or named for Olympia Dukakis

Technically, he wasn't President, but he should still count. I think he should get a presidential museum just like all other recent Presidents.
Then we might as well give Bob Dole one, and Mitt Romney one also.  The point is if you run for president you have to win and be president to get all the honors of being one.
Quote from: roadman65 on September 15, 2016, 08:12:16 PM

This is the US of A. We don't typically name roads after losers and we certainly don't give them presidential libraries.

BTW, you never have told us why you like this guy.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

The Nature Boy

There's the Kitty and Michael Dukakis Center for Urban and Regional Policy at Northeastern University in Boston.

mgk920

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 19, 2016, 04:31:10 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 15, 2016, 08:39:50 PM
Bob Dole does have his own road:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bob+Dole+Dr,+Russell,+KS+67665/@38.8883518,-98.8526653,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x87a3c9e44896b5ff:0x34187c010c301e5d!8m2!3d38.8883518!4d-98.8439106?hl=en
Well, his being a U.S. Senator from Kansas for 27 years likely has something to do with that.

Dole is from Russell, KS.

As for recent presidents, there are streets in the Kimberly, WI industrial park named Carter, Eisenhower, Ford, Kennedy and Truman.

Up until about WWII, it was normal to name streets in new developments after presidents, including recent ones.

Mike

Avalanchez71

I am sure there is something named after Jimmy Carter down in Americus, GA.

As for Michael Dukakis, sersiouly?  That cat received how many electorial votes?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 20, 2016, 02:33:43 PM
I am sure there is something named after Jimmy Carter down in Americus, GA.

The OP said outside the person's home state.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

mrsman

Quote from: DandyDan on August 07, 2016, 01:24:05 AM
If Mason City, Iowa expands far enough west some day, they may eventually have a Carter Ave.   It appears to end at Eisenhower Ave., but for some weird reason, there's no Lincoln Avenue, or Buchanan for that matter, and the Roosevelt honored appears to be Franklin.  They have a Benjamin Avenue (for Benjamin Harrison) and a Quincy Avenue (for John Quincy Adams), but no Theodore Avenue.

Horace Greeley is the one losing Presidential candidate with something named for him, Greeley, Colorado, as well as other places named Greeley.

I think Mason City's naming structure seems to place a presidential street at the location where a president would be assuming that the streets would fill in.  In other words, if the city's grid ever gets filled in, then likely the skipped presidents will be appropriately named as well.

New Square, NY has most of its streets named after presidents, including some recent ones like Reagan, Bush, and Clinton.

Indio, CA has relatively major N-S arterials named after presidents (and even some named after other key politicians of the era) beginning with Washington, extending eastward.  The names are largely in order and are typically one mile apart each and extend well beyond city limits into the open desert.  JQ Adams is skipped.  Taylor is skipped (probably too close in sound to Tyler).  Benjamin Harrison is skipped.  The pattern seems to go all the way to Grover Cleveland.

Central Chicago also names streets after presidents.  These are e-w streets in the loop (downtown) and largely in order.  Adams is placed in the order for JQA (not his father).  Jefferson, for some reason, is a N-S street just over the river.  Tyler is skipped. All presidents are named up to Fillmore. The next major street south of Fillmore is Roosevelt, which is a really major street.

Road Hog

The purpose of this thread seems to be to score some kind of cheap political point. Yes, Carter was a one-term president 40 years ago and yes, Dukakis was trounced in the 1988 election. So?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Road Hog on October 23, 2016, 03:06:03 PM
The purpose of this thread seems to be to score some kind of cheap political point. Yes, Carter was a one-term president 40 years ago and yes, Dukakis was trounced in the 1988 election. So?

The OP does a lot of threads like this.  I don't think there is a huge degree of seriousness that goes into any of them.  This was the one that was probably taken the most seriously since it transitioned into other non-Presidential political figures who had roads named after them.

woodpusher

Knox County TN has roads named after Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, and Gerald Ford.
Ford actually came to Knoxville for a campaign stop.  I'm not sure about the other two.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.