News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I'm surprised nobody posted the Eddie Lampert interview until, that was a gem.   I love the bit about altering reality for things to be better in face of complete denial of factual information.  :-D

thenetwork

And if you believe Eddie, he's got a bridge in New York City he wants to unload and some primo Everglades land in Florida as well...so he can keep Sears & Kmart afloat, of course.

catch22

Quote from: LM117 on May 27, 2017, 10:03:55 AM
According to this May 15th article, more stores are closing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-sears-and-kmart-stores-closing-2017-5

QuoteMost of the stores on the new list will start liquidation sales in April and close in July, though some will shut down in August.

Kmart

803 Martin Street S., Pell City, Alabama

2222 E. Lincoln Ave., Anaheim, California

1460 W. 49th St., Hialeah, Florida

424 Dairy Road, Kahului, Hawaii

715 W US Highway 30, Carroll, Iowa

33400 W. Seven Mile Road, Livonia, Michigan

2660 Hylan Blvd., Staten Island, New York

950 Ridge Road, Webster, New York

4480 Indian Ripple Road, Dayton, Ohio

1837 Street Road, Bensalem, Pennsylvania

16881 Conneaut Lake Road, Meadville, Pennsylvania

1 Millbrook Plaza Lane, Mill Hall, Pennsylvania

300 Lincoln Ave, East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

176 W Street Road, Feasterville, Pennsylvania

1011 Scranton Carbondale Hwy., Scranton, Pennsylvania

1801 Hydraulic Rd, Charlottesville, Virginia

494 Elden St., Herndon, Virginia

17911 Pacific Ave., S. Spanaway, Washington

Sears

273 Madonna Road, San Luis Obispo, California

Westfield UTC, 4575 La Jolla Village Dr, San Diego, California

Southbay Pavilion, 20700 S. Avalon Blvd., Carson, California

290 Providence Highway, Dedham, Massachusetts

Aventura Mall, 19505 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, Florida

4250 Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico

3199 N White Sands Blvd., Alamogordo, New Mexico

5415 N.E. Antioch Road, Kansas City, Missouri

Monroe Crossing Mall, 2115 W Roosevelt Blvd., Monroe, North Carolina

Northwoods Mall, 7801 Rivers Ave., North Charleston, South Carolina

Valley View Mall, 13131 Preston Road, Dallas, Texas

Provo Towne Centre, 1200 Towne Centre Blvd., Provo, Utah

Then there's this gem in the article:

QuoteIn a rare interview last week, Lampert spoke about the retailer's troubles and said "the reality is better than the perception."

He told the Chicago Tribune that Sears is "fighting like hell" to stay afloat but that unfair media coverage was making it difficult for the company to turn business around.

Regarding the potential for a Sears bankruptcy, he said, "We have as much time as our vendors and our lenders and our shareholders are willing to give us. We're trying to be proactive with our vendors, we're trying to be proactive with our members, with our employees, associates, etc., to explain that the reality is a lot better than the perception. The reality needs to be better than it is for us to really demonstrate to people that the transition is starting to take hold."

:rofl:

The Kmart in Livonia, MI is already shuttered, and I bet a few more on this list are as well.

I want some of whatever Lambert is smokin'.  His version of reality is just a tad off.  ;)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thenetwork on May 27, 2017, 10:39:13 AM
And if you believe Eddie, he's got a bridge in New York City he wants to unload and some primo Everglades land in Florida as well...so he can keep Sears & Kmart afloat, of course.

What about that whole deal where he was claiming he was kidnapped and negotiated his own way out?  Has that story actually ever been verified by a police report? 

roadman65

If all of K Marts close who will own Sears?  You know in Orlando we have more Sears than K Marts left, but I assume it has to do with K Mart still being active in other markets.  Then again nothing is surprising, it may be Sears being the glue holding whats left of K Mart together.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SP Cook

Quote from: roadman65 on June 02, 2017, 01:30:01 PM
If all of K Marts close who will own Sears?

The same people that own it now.  "Sears" and "K-Mart" are both divisions of a company called "Sears Holdings" which trades on the NASDAQ as SHLD.  One share of SHLD will run you $7.24 as I type this.  In April of 2007, it was $141.09.  That means for every $1 someone invested in SHLD 10 years ago, they now have about 10 cents. 

One share of Amazon will run you $1007.00 right now.  In April of 2007 it was $79.91, in June of 1998, it was $1.50. 

DaBigE

Quote from: roadman65 on June 02, 2017, 01:30:01 PM
If all of K Marts close who will own Sears?  You know in Orlando we have more Sears than K Marts left, but I assume it has to do with K Mart still being active in other markets.  Then again nothing is surprising, it may be Sears being the glue holding whats left of K Mart together.

There's no glue...it's all a house of cards being held together by luck at this point. Sears and Kmart are two things that duct tape cannot even hold together.

I'm still baffled at the prominent 'Now Hiring' banners at the two Sears stores in our town. Seriously, who would attempt to start a "career" there at this point? Why we even have two stores yet is just as surprising.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Roadgeekteen

My Mom recently got mad at me for making comments about it being a dying chain in the Kmart in cape cod.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

I guess someone who can't afford to be picky?

sparker

Quote from: catch22 on May 27, 2017, 10:42:11 AM
Quote from: LM117 on May 27, 2017, 10:03:55 AM
According to this May 15th article, more stores are closing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-sears-and-kmart-stores-closing-2017-5

QuoteMost of the stores on the new list will start liquidation sales in April and close in July, though some will shut down in August.

Kmart

2222 E. Lincoln Ave., Anaheim, California

When I was living in Anaheim Hills back from '97 to '03, this was the nearest K-mart; it was a P.O.S. 20 years ago -- and I can't imagine its state of being today.  Its only saving grace was it stocked Die Hard batteries (reliable as hell) at a slightly discounted price.  There never seemed to be much traffic in the store; the parking lot was mostly empty (it was more or less on the corner of Lincoln & State College).  I'm just surprised it wasn't gone 10 years ago; it will hardly be missed. 

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US71 on June 09, 2017, 09:06:59 AM
And another round of closures, including one in Little Rock
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-sears-kmart-20170607-story.html

This one's a little more personal for me.  The Kmart I grew up going to on nearly a weekly basis in Mantua, NJ is finally listed.  I really haven't been in there for years, with the exception of a few Christmas's ago.  They had very good outdoor Christmas decorations which would work well in my display.  What was funny was you would find the same exact items at Sears (like light strings and such)...marked up $2!  It clearly showed they figured they could exploit the Sears 'higher quality' name over the lower quality Kmart name.

The Kmart also had been remodeled a number of years back, with a very bright orange décor that was unlike most other Kmarts around.

In its surrounding area, it outlasted a Caldors and Bradlees.  But now in the adjoining shopping center is now a Kohls, and then you start getting to the Walmarts and Targets of the area nearby as well.

In my region, there's a Kmart in Glassboro, NJ that is still there.  All the others are gone.

roadman65

I was in Sears two days ago and saw that they still have the Craftsmen line despite being sold at the FL Mall location. 

As far as their warranty, the lifetime one, from what wiki says its been limited and no longer can you walk up and get a replacement without your purchase receipt.  I would think that if that is not the case something else would be as the new owners do not have to capital like Sears & Roebuck once did to pay for the broken tools.

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

I don't know how the hell the Kmart & Sears stores in Danville keep avoiding the ax. They can't be making any profit since hardly anyone goes in them. Sears is just used as a mall entrance and nothing more and Kmart looks like a flea market.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on June 09, 2017, 09:06:59 AM
And another round of closures, including one in Little Rock
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-sears-kmart-20170607-story.html

Anybody seen a list of what's closing? I didn't see a list in the LA Times story linked above.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thenetwork

Quote from: catch22 on May 27, 2017, 10:42:11 AM

The Kmart in Livonia, MI is already shuttered, and I bet a few more on this list are as well.

At least there is talk about doing something about the property already.  Developers want to put a new Kroger & Applebee's there...

...problem is there are too many Kroger's in the area already (there is one a mile to the north and south of the old Kmart site). 

I wish there were developers in my town who would bulldoze our closed Kmart and at least make the land look presentable for potential retailers.

US71

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on June 09, 2017, 10:18:33 AM
I was in Sears two days ago and saw that they still have the Craftsmen line despite being sold at the FL Mall location. 

As far as their warranty, the lifetime one, from what wiki says its been limited and no longer can you walk up and get a replacement without your purchase receipt.  I would think that if that is not the case something else would be as the new owners do not have to capital like Sears & Roebuck once did to pay for the broken tools.

Sears is also suing two of their Craftsman suppliers
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/08/sears-sues-second-craftsman-supplier-western-forge.html

SP Cook

SEARS:
CA: Chico
GA: Dalton
MS: Biloxi
NC: Asheboro
ND: Minot
NJ: Vineland
OH: Columbus (2 locations), Elyria, Franklin
OK: Midwest City
VA: Richmond
SC: Columbia
TX: Texarkana, Sherman
UT: St. George

K-MART:
AL: Dothan, Muscle Shoals
AR: Little Rock
AZ: Bullhead City
CA: Blythe, Sacramento, Manteca
GA: Fort Oglethorpe, Calhoun
IA: Iowa City, Marshalltown
IN: Mishawaka
MD: Elkton
MI: Traverse City, West Branch, Cheboygan
NJ: Mantua, Manahawkin
NM: Las Cruces, Alamogordo
NV: Las Vegas, Henderson, Sparks
NY: Liverpool, Malone, Cortland, Watertown
OH: Wooster, Streetsboro
OK: Tulsa
OR: Roseburg
PA: Butler, Belle Vernon, Indiana
SC: Summerville, Seneca
TN: Madison, Johnson City
TX: El Paso (2 locations)
UT: Spanish Fork
VA: Virginia Beach (2 locations)
WI: West Allis, La Crosse, Medford
WV: Lewisburg
WY: Sheridan

SEARS AUTO CENTER:
OH: Elyria
OK: Midwest City
SC: Columbia
TX: Texarkana, Sherman
UT: St. George
VA: Richmond

I went to my local K-Mart just to explore last week.  They were having a deep "everything discounted" sale between 10 and 60% and whole sections of the store were just empty and gated off from the public by making walls out of display racks.  Clearly they do not have the credit to replace merchandise as it is sold. 

As to Sears, I went to the one in Huntington and it is the same deal.  Large parts of the store were unused, and they are trying to sell TVs that are way out of date.  The Charleston location has not only been closed, but the mall management has walled it off with a permanent looking facade, rather than just shutting the typical mall type gates.  That is an admission that the place is un-rentable.

Darkchylde

Just saw the other day that the one in Independence, MO at I-70 and Noland Road is shutting down.

roadman65

Quote from: LM117 on June 09, 2017, 10:57:00 AM
I don't know how the hell the Kmart & Sears stores in Danville keep avoiding the ax. They can't be making any profit since hardly anyone goes in them. Sears is just used as a mall entrance and nothing more and Kmart looks like a flea market.
Most of the K Marts I went into in the past ten years (the last one in Kissimmee, FL, and previously in 13 in Houma, LA) still had the old style ceiling air intakes for the AC. You know the round intakes with the 3 louvers.  Modern stores do not but have the smaller intakes dropping down from the ceilings like most Walmarts.

Yes, you are right those two visits reminded me of a flea market.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Last Kmart I was in was in Parkersburg, WV back in February. Dark and depressing.

At least the one in Frankfort, KY is still holding on. It's been awhile since I've been in that one. I have to be back in Frankfort again next week; I might go check it out to see how it's looking. It used to be a fairly nice store when I worked in Frankfort 20 years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Cabot and Russellville will be the only ones remaining in Arkansas.

MNHighwayMan

I was in the Kmart in Des Moines a year or two ago (the one on Hubbell Ave, near Easton Blvd) but I don't see it on that list, so I have no idea if it's still open.

JJBers

Surprised that there is only four K-marts in all of Connecticut, and yet one of them is in Vernon, I was just there a few days ago.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.