News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why do all the Southern states use a certain traffic light installation?

Started by ColossalBlocks, October 18, 2016, 06:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

froggie

My guess is he's referring to the doghouse signal, which is fairly prevalent across the Southern states (with the notable exception of Arkansas).  But its use goes far beyond the South.  Amongst other non-Southern states, Vermont uses it as well.

freebrickproductions

Hanging signals from mast arms is somewhat uncommon in the two states I've seen it used the most in: Alabama and Tennessee. Doghouses on the other hand have been the choice for protected/permissive turn signals for a long time.

SM-G900V

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Avalanchez71

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on October 18, 2016, 06:56:08 AM
Why does all the Southern states use this traffic light installation?

https://goo.gl/maps/BiqgAnAgJT62

Now the question is why does Google Maps mark Riverside Dr as SR 8183?  I have never heard of this route.  Is this an error?  Is this an internal designation for the road outside of the city limits that the county has for inventory purposes?  It looks like Google shows some four digit county roads in the area that begin with the number 8.  This one is marked with the state route marker in lieu of the county route marker.

lordsutch

At least in Georgia doghouses seem to be on the way out in favor of dedicated FYA signals (some three-lens, most four-lens)   for GDOT installations. Span-wire, on the other hand, has yet to get the tacky funeral it deserves.

cl94

I know I haven't spent all that much time in the South, but I can't remember seeing a single installation like that down there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

brownpelican

Only way they're hanging in Mississippi and Louisiana is if they're hung from a wire span.

roadman65

Florida has been going mast arm some time and in Miami- Dade and Collier Counties the horizontal mounts on the mast arms are becoming the total norm there.  Plus the Panhandle in some areas like Panama City, Tallahassee, and Pensacola I believe have ditched the span wires completely on all new installations for horizontal mount heads on mast arms as well.

However, its not set in stone per FDOT.  Some new installations in Orange and Osceola still use span wires and over four intersections I have seen went from mast arm to span wire in the past few years.

I do know what the OP means as the south always used span wires except AR and NOLA that had a mix of side mounts and jersey truss arms up until the late 90's when monotube arms have become the norm there in the Big Easy.

However, NYS uses span wire, and always have as well as Pennsylvania, outside of metro Philly that always used mast arms and side mounts as far as I can remember, used them.   Ohio and Indiana used them always as well as Kentucky with their cutout-tunnel-cutout installations as far back as I can remember.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

You mentioned New York and they're going to mast arms for all but large intersections. When I was down south a couple weeks ago, I mostly saw span wire.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on October 23, 2016, 01:34:30 PM
Florida has been going mast arm some time and in Miami- Dade and Collier Counties the horizontal mounts on the mast arms are becoming the total norm there.  Plus the Panhandle in some areas like Panama City, Tallahassee, and Pensacola I believe have ditched the span wires completely on all new installations for horizontal mount heads on mast arms as well.

However, its not set in stone per FDOT.  Some new installations in Orange and Osceola still use span wires and over four intersections I have seen went from mast arm to span wire in the past few years.

I do know what the OP means as the south always used span wires except AR and NOLA that had a mix of side mounts and jersey truss arms up until the late 90's when monotube arms have become the norm there in the Big Easy.

However, NYS uses span wire, and always have as well as Pennsylvania, outside of metro Philly that always used mast arms and side mounts as far as I can remember, used them.   Ohio and Indiana used them always as well as Kentucky with their cutout-tunnel-cutout installations as far back as I can remember.
After Hurricane Andrew back in 1992 I recall reading somewhere that  span wire installations woild not be done within 10 miles of the coast, except where the layout of the interchange makes mast arms impractical.

It seems that was followed for a while after that but recently it seems that has changed.

South Florida and the Panhandle get struck by hurricanes more frequently than other parts if Florida so makes sense to be more mast arms

LGMS428

plain

I believe Baltimore still has some of these left around the city
Newark born, Richmond bred

kphoger

Funny, how the OP has not chimed in at all to clarify what aspect of the stoplight configuration (pun not intended) he was referring to...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cl94

Quote from: kphoger on October 24, 2016, 10:46:29 PM
Funny, how the OP has not chimed in at all to clarify what aspect of the stoplight configuration (pun not intended) he was referring to...

I was thinking the same thing. No, I haven't seen an installation that looks exactly like that, but I've seen the parts individually.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.