News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

UP Michigan winter driving question

Started by invincor, October 31, 2016, 03:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

invincor

Hi.
I have tickets to a sports event in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.  The direct route for me to get there from western Wisconsin has me driving through the Michigan upper peninsula to get there on December 6, and trying to return home on the 11th. 

I am, of course, very wary of the crippling snowfall totals the UP can get.  I'm looking for local advice on the route I can take that is better from a snow-removal/emergency services point-of-view (though of course if a big one gets going I'll stay put home and eat the tickets). 

The most direct route looks to be US 2 east to M-117 north to M-28 east to I-75 north for the last little bit across the border. 
Alternatively, and about 15 miles longer, is to take US 2 all the way east to I-75 at St. Ignace and then I-75 north from there. 

From a snow point-of-view, the longer, more southerly route looks slightly better not quite as awful from my researches online, and they seem to be the more well-travelled route as well.   

What say you all though? 

bulldog1979

I've been traveling between my hometown in Marquette County and the Straits of Mackinac for all of my life, including many winter trips. Your options all involve state highways, which have priority for snow removal over county roads. The key will be that if it is actually snowing the day of your trip that you watch the radar and drive around the areas where it is snowing. You'll also need to add extra time to your plans to allow for slower driving. Just use caution and plan your route based on the forecast.

Brandon

In addition to what Bulldog just said, that area isn't as bad for snow as some in the UP.  If you are in the Keweenaw, they, including MDOT, do not plow to pavement, but they do plow the entire road, including shoulders and a bit more to the sides as a clear zone.  I'm not sure how much they plow down to pavement east of Marquette.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hobsini2

Speaking as a meteorology major, I would take a more southerly route through the UP because if you have a north or northwest wind blowing off of Lake Superior, that is how you get lake enhanced snow. Cold air blowing over a large not quite frozen large body water. And during the winter months, a north or northwest wind is more likely than a southerly wind. I have seen lake affect totals in Marquette rival that of Buffalo NY. The UP very rarely gets lake enhanced snow from Lake Michigan so if there is snow, it would not be as much.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

invincor

Thanks everyone.  It's much in line with what I was thinking. 

If the weather forecasts definitely say "dry" on those dates, I'll try the direct route.  If there's any chance of snow or these winds out of the north or northwest, I'll use US 2 and only head north when I get to I-75. 

mgk920

Agreed, take the most southerly routing (US 2 to I-75).

Mike

GaryV

Quote from: hobsini2 on October 31, 2016, 06:10:42 PM
Speaking as a meteorology major, I would take a more southerly route through the UP because if you have a north or northwest wind blowing off of Lake Superior, that is how you get lake enhanced snow. Cold air blowing over a large not quite frozen large body water. And during the winter months, a north or northwest wind is more likely than a southerly wind. I have seen lake affect totals in Marquette rival that of Buffalo NY. The UP very rarely gets lake enhanced snow from Lake Michigan so if there is snow, it would not be as much.
But, if you get a southwesterly storm, US-2 can have a lot of blowing and drifting.  The good thing is that in December the lake will still be open, and you won't get additional drifting coming from the ice.

Crews are pretty good at getting the highways cleared, unless you're right in the middle of a blizzard. 

And beware of black ice and white-outs.

JREwing78

I would let the weather conditions on the days you travel dictate your route. While you're more likely to have heavier show along the Lake Superior shore, lake-effect off Lake Michigan is certainly possible.

Watch the weather reports (particularly the radar), check road conditions on https://mdotnetpublic.state.mi.us/drive/, and give yourself plenty of time to travel.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.