New Style Ramp Meter "Meter On" Signs in California

Started by stevenliu96, November 10, 2016, 12:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenliu96

myosh_tino

From what I understand, the FHWA wouldn't sign off on the old pedestrian signal style METER ON signal.  There's a Caltrans policy directive...

http://www.caltrans.ca.gov/trafficops/policy/MEMO_RampMeterSignReplacement_12.29.15.pdf

... that instructs the districts to phase out the old signs and replace them with W3-8 signs along with a flashing yellow light.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

roadfro

Hmm... Nevada has also been using the ped-head style METER ON signal at practically every ramp meter employing meters, but I see no sign of this changing. Although I have noticed that some ped-head signals no longer flash the message, similar to what was mentioned in the CalTrans policy memo.

Interestingly, when I-80 was being reconstructed in Reno and ramp meters were employed temporarily (under simultaneous study for potential permanent install). At that time, the MUTCD sign with double flashing beacons was used as the meter on warning. When the meters were installed permanently, NDOT switched over to the ped-head style.

Also interestingly, there are some newer ramp meter installations in the Las Vegas area that use both ped-head and standard sign with beacon. These are a couple longer loop ramps where the ped-head style is used right at the ramp entrance as usual, while the sign with beacon are located about halfway through the ramp before the ramp meter becomes visible.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

stevenliu96

Hiroshi66

Yes, I've seen these - they are both in the Universal Studios area. (I use one of those on ramps every morning!)

Both of those on ramps have been built/redone very recently and so CalTrans may be replacing them gradually. I'm the nostalgic/sentimental type so I will always prefer the old fashioned "Meter on" signs. LOL.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

compdude787

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 28, 2016, 11:05:03 AM
That's the same kind of signage that Ontario uses as well:

https://goo.gl/K6134V

That's how Washington does it too, except the text on the sign is bigger and there's only one flashing light instead of two.

hm insulators

We have the yellow diamond "Meter on when flashing" signs here in Phoenix.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

AndyMax25

Myosh, thanks for posting the link to the directive. Per the bullet points at the top of page 2, I have seen the change from flashing to solid at numerous locations in the western LA area. The louver screens have also come off as part of the directive. 

Strange how the interim policy is to have a solid indication while the ultimate replacement will be a flashing beacon. Go figure.

myosh_tino

Quote from: AndyMax25 on January 01, 2017, 09:42:59 PM
Myosh, thanks for posting the link to the directive. Per the bullet points at the top of page 2, I have seen the change from flashing to solid at numerous locations in the western LA area. The louver screens have also come off as part of the directive. 

While the louvers have been removed from just about all of the ped-head Meter On signs in the San Jose area, the vast majority of them still flash.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.