News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-57 in Chicago

Started by CapeCodder, November 21, 2016, 09:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

What is the name of I-57 in Chicago? I've heard some people call it the Dan Ryan Expwy, but haven't seen it labeled as such on maps. Also, why is Memphis the control city on 57, when it passes through Champaign-Urbana, Danville, Effingham, and Mount Vernon?

ET21

In Chicago it's "called" the Dan Ryan west leg, but most news reports just say 57.

Memphis is the biggest population control city, though 57 ends into I-55 which leads into Memphis. More than likely, the exits may have the smaller control cities when entering the highway downstate. I personally would maybe have had Champaign-Urbana when going south from Chicago, then switch to Memphis south of Champaign
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ATLRedSoxFan

Also, probably to eliminate some confusion(yeah, right..lol), from I-55(The Stevenson), which heads for St. Louis before heading toward Memphis. My guessing the logic: More direct.

Brandon

Quote from: CapeCodder on November 21, 2016, 09:30:35 AM
What is the name of I-57 in Chicago? I've heard some people call it the Dan Ryan Expwy, but haven't seen it labeled as such on maps. Also, why is Memphis the control city on 57, when it passes through Champaign-Urbana, Danville, Effingham, and Mount Vernon?

Chicago and Memphis are the primary control cities on I-57.  Chicago, Kankakee, Champaign-Urbana, Effingham, Mount Vernon, and Cairo are the secondary control cities.  The primary controls are at freeway to freeway interchanges, the secondary controls are everywhere else.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

johndoe780

Quote from: Brandon on November 21, 2016, 01:12:27 PM

Chicago and Memphis are the primary control cities on I-57.  Chicago, Kankakee, Champaign-Urbana, Effingham, Mount Vernon, and Cairo are the secondary control cities.  The primary controls are at freeway to freeway interchanges, the secondary controls are everywhere else.

Cairo still exists?

Rick Powell

It is most often referred to as "west leg of the Dan Ryan" in historic sites like www.cookexpressways.com. On old planning maps I remember seeing it referred to as the "South Suburban Expressway", but the name never seemed to stick. Just like I-80 between Joliet and I-294 was the "Moline Expressway".

SSOWorld

Quote from: johndoe780 on November 21, 2016, 01:30:45 PM

Cairo still exists?
It does - what's left of it...
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

johndoe780

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 22, 2016, 09:32:07 PM

Cairo still exists?

Just looked up the history of the town. Even rockford made it out better.

Super Mateo

Quote from: Rick Powell on November 21, 2016, 01:36:47 PM

It is most often referred to as "west leg of the Dan Ryan" in historic sites like www.cookexpressways.com. On old planning maps I remember seeing it referred to as the "South Suburban Expressway", but the name never seemed to stick. Just like I-80 between Joliet and I-294 was the "Moline Expressway".

Interstate 80 is the Moline Expressway.  I've seen the name Moline Expressway used on maps thoughout my life, but I don't recall ever hearing it used on the radio, nor have I ever heard the name used in conversations with other people.  It's always called by its number.

ILRoad55

Yea some older maps do use the name Moline Expressway. I have a Chicago 7-County street guide that refers to it as Moline. Why is it named the Moline Expressway though?

Anyways going back to 57, should I-57 be given an actual name other than the South Suburban or Dan Ryan West Leg? I think it deserves a name.

Brandon

Quote from: ILRoad55 on November 23, 2016, 08:36:47 AM
Yea some older maps do use the name Moline Expressway. I have a Chicago 7-County street guide that refers to it as Moline. Why is it named the Moline Expressway though?

Because I-80 goes west from there to Moline.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

ILRoad55

Quote from: Brandon on November 23, 2016, 09:19:09 AM

Well yeah but I thought it was only named Moline from Joilet to the Tri-State.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: johndoe780 on November 22, 2016, 11:35:50 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on November 22, 2016, 09:32:07 PM

Cairo still exists?

Just looked up the history of the town. Even rockford made it out better.

I drove through it last year.  (I took US-51 from Memphis to Bloomington which took me through there.)  You can see it used to be something bigger and run down as any urban area that I have seen. 

CapeCodder

Cairo is pretty nifty if you like urban exploration and abandoned buildings.

Rick Powell

Quote from: ILRoad55 on November 23, 2016, 02:18:59 PM

When a road leaves the Chicago area, it usually loses its Chicago-area "expressway" name. For instance, no one in Pontiac, IL calls I-55 the "Stevenson Expressway" but one you get up around Bolingbrook it is common. The tollway has tried to give names to some of its roads that go to the nether regions, like "Jane Addams Tollway" for I-90, but I'd suspect most people in the Rockford area still refer to it as simply "I-90".

dvferyance

Anyways going back to 57, should I-57 be given an actual name other than the South Suburban or Dan Ryan West Leg? I think it deserves a name.
They are saving it for Obama.

captkirk_4

Quote from: dvferyance on November 23, 2016, 07:22:25 PM
The exact same thought I had though I suspect old Barry is going to diss Chicago in retirement for Hawaii.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: dvferyance on November 23, 2016, 07:22:25 PM

This would be interesting.

Cairo still exists?

LOL not really.  Truly eerie.  The closest thing I've ever experienced to a ghost town.  When I went there, there was a dejected traffic signal, mast arms and all, dismantled & sitting along the side of the road.

And personally I would have liked to see Champaign as a (primary) control city for I-57.  IL-394 can have Danville as a control city, but I-57 can't have Champaign as one?  Garbage
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Brandon

Quote from: Rick Powell on November 23, 2016, 06:37:00 PM

When a road leaves the Chicago area, it usually loses its Chicago-area "expressway" name. For instance, no one in Pontiac, IL calls I-55 the "Stevenson Expressway" but one you get up around Bolingbrook it is common. The tollway has tried to give names to some of its roads that go to the nether regions, like "Jane Addams Tollway" for I-90, but I'd suspect most people in the Rockford area still refer to it as simply "I-90".

Technically, the Stevenson is only that part in Cook County, from where Joliet Road splits off to Lake Shore Drive.  It was the last part of I-55 built here.  The other parts were built much earlier, as one of the first freeways built by IDOT's predecessor.  That's one of the reasons it is simply "I-55" or "55" southwest of County Line Road.  It stems from when the road was 'US-66" or simply "66".  Few in Joliet call it the Stevenson either.  The only reason you get some in DuPage County and the Bolingbrook area calling it the Stevenson is due to them having moved out from Chicago.

Rick Powell

Quote from: Brandon on November 24, 2016, 07:13:04 AM
Quote from: Rick Powell on November 23, 2016, 06:37:00 PM

Technically, the Stevenson is only that part in Cook County, from where Joliet Road splits off to Lake Shore Drive.  It was the last part of I-55 built here.  The other parts were built much earlier, as one of the first freeways built by IDOT's predecessor.  That's one of the reasons it is simply "I-55" or "55" southwest of County Line Road.  It stems from when the road was 'US-66" or simply "66".  Few in Joliet call it the Stevenson either.  The only reason you get some in DuPage County and the Bolingbrook area calling it the Stevenson is due to them having moved out from Chicago.
The morning traffic reporters have helped define the "expressways" too. They usually report the time on the "Stevenson" to the Dan Ryan junction from I-355 first, and then the Tri-State. Speaking of I-355, I recall the traffic reporters saying "355" instead of the "Veterans", the tollway's title.

ILRoad55

For me I will always remember 355 as the North-South Tollway. Occasionally I'll call it the Veterans

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ILRoad55 on November 25, 2016, 12:01:40 AM
For me I will always remember 355 as the North-South Tollway. Occasionally I'll call it the Veterans

I-355 is strange in that I've heard it sometimes be referred to as 355 not only on its entire stretch but sometimes on the 290 stretch through Itasca. I'll save my thoughts on what should be done with the numbering for the fictional threads.

Getting back to I-57, in general, it really is kind of a "forgotten" expressway in many circles around here. Normally, traffic reports simply say I-57, but it gets little mention. Unless you live in the South Suburbs or go to U of I, it's not one on too many people's minds here. My thought, though, is why isn't it six lanes at least to Sauk Trail (maybe even a bit further)? I feel that the traffic it gets warrants at least this many lanes down to there.

Rick Powell

Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 25, 2016, 09:27:57 AM

I-355 is strange in that I've heard it sometimes be referred to as 355 not only on its entire stretch but sometimes on the 290 stretch through Itasca. I'll save my thoughts on what should be done with the numbering for the fictional threads.

Getting back to I-57, in general, it really is kind of a "forgotten" expressway in many circles around here. Normally, traffic reports simply say I-57, but it gets little mention. Unless you live in the South Suburbs or go to U of I, it's not one on too many people's minds here. My thought, though, is why isn't it six lanes at least to Sauk Trail (maybe even a bit further)? I feel that the traffic it gets warrants at least this many lanes down to there.
Both IDOT Districts 1 and 3 completed feasibility studies for the additional lanes on I-57 from Kankakee to I-80. All new or reconstructed bridges are being done to accommodate 6 lanes, such as the new interchanges at 6000 North Road in Manteno and Stuenkel Road in University Park. The actual adding of lanes is not on IDOT's radar yet, traffic counts do warrant them especially at the north end.

Flint1979

It's actually called the Dan Ryan West Leg but I never hear it called anything but I-57 in traffic reports.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on November 25, 2016, 09:27:57 AM

just wait for 53 to be build to see some realy odd numbering. The main line has like different numbers end to end right now. What will they do add TOLL US-12 to the mix? and maybe TOLL IL-120

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.