Flickr vs. Facebook for photos?

Started by hbelkins, November 30, 2016, 02:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Several years ago, I abandoned creating HTML pages for my road photo uploads. Even though I was able to create the pages with iPhoto, it was too much hassle to format the pages, add text in Adobe GoLive, etc. I created a Flickr account and started uploading my photos there, and occasionally (more like very infrequently) will update an index page on my site with links to the Flickr album.

Lately, though, I've been wondering if perhaps I should abandon Flickr for Facebook. Flickr uploads take a lot longer and the bigger uploads seem prone to timing out. I've seen that "Houston, we have a problem..." message more often than not when uploading a big batch of photos.

Facebook pages are viewable by anyone (as opposed to personal albums, which are viewable only by the specific audience of Facebook users the poster chooses) and the uploads seem to go much faster and without issue.

Does anyone have a preference on which service to use, or any other opinions on Facebook vs. Flickr? For the present I can probably continue to use both, but I have a paid Flickr account and might end up dropping it in favor of the free Facebook service.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on November 30, 2016, 02:19:02 PM
...but I have a paid Flickr account and might end up dropping it in favor of the free Facebook service.

This.  I don't think there's any advantages for you to retain an account that requires you to pay for it.

vdeane

I don't know much about Flickr and whether it has this issue or not, but on Facebook, one has to set the date manually if they want to make a description for the image (at least, that's what I've noticed when attaching photos to posts; I only have a few albums for my personal profile, and none for NYSRoads).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Otto Yamamoto

The KDE uploader for FB is borked, and has been since Ubuntu/Mint 15.04/13, so that means uploading via FB, which is a pain. I don't have problems via Flickr as much, though sometimes larger files tend to time out.

XT1254

formulanone

Facebook seems to occasionally destroy the quality of high-resolution photos, even with "high-quality" selected.

Flickr gives you 1TB for free; I crank down the image sizes to 2400 x 1600 pixels, which gets around uploading issues.

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 30, 2016, 02:26:49 PM
...but I have a paid Flickr account and might end up dropping it in favor of the free Facebook service.

This.  I don't think there's any advantages for you to retain an account that requires you to pay for it.

It's not much. Something like $25 for two years. But Facebook will always be free if I like a certain post because if I don't, I will have to start paying because I heard it on Channel 3 News. It was even on the radio.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on November 30, 2016, 02:58:57 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 30, 2016, 02:26:49 PM

It's not much. Something like $25 for two years. But Facebook will always be free if I like a certain post because if I don't, I will have to start paying because I heard it on Channel 3 News. It was even on the radio.  :-D

Email's not going to be free any longer too, because the postal service will tax it, so says the politicians of the opposing political party I'm a member of via the shared posting of a trusted friend of a friend of mine.

busman_49

I use Flickr.  I paid the $25 yearly fee for a few years now, mainly to avoid ads.  As a bonus, the stats feature is a neat touch.  Some people hate Flickr; I love it.

renegade

I wouldn't go on Fakebook if Suckerburg paid me millions.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Mergingtraffic

I'll disect the question a step further....if you go on Flickr...do you look at photos on Flickr on a regular computer screen or on your phone?

Some photos look better on a phone screen and vice versa
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alex

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 30, 2016, 06:08:23 PM
I'll disect the question a step further....if you go on Flickr...do you look at photos on Flickr on a regular computer screen or on your phone?

Some photos look better on a phone screen and vice versa

I find browsing photos easier on my phone than with flickr, but the quality appears the same to me on either device. Flickr shares on the forum that I view on my PC however appear with too much sharpness.

Searching through both is a bit of a pain IMO. Loading older posts on Facebook bogs down even my PC, while searching on Flickr is futile if someone does not tag their photos or adds descriptions. The album concept helps, but 600 photos uploaded with their default file name still requires clicking through each set or continuously scrolling down.

Furthermore I think posting photos solely on Facebook relegates them to internet purgatory. After the initial day or two where they show up in your feed, they are essentially buried (the whole out of sight out of mind concept). A prime example for me is when I searched for a photo Dan Murphy took of the new end sign for I-95 he shot this past winter. I saw it once, and tried to find it again a few weeks later among the 900 or so photos he posted. After about 20 or so minutes I gave up and figured it would be easier for me to just drive down there myself and see it versus continuing to search... FB is great for photos taken "in the field", and I do enjoy shooting images with my phone and posting them in real time. But for detailed sets of roads, construction, etc, I prefer a more organized and searchable platform.

Dougtone

Flickr allows for a better repository for photos than Facebook, in my opinion. You have better control of organization and being able to search for an item later on Flickr than on Facebook.

However, the uploading tools could be more user friendly, I think. They had an old Flickr Uploadr program that I really enjoyed using, but when they debuted a newer version of the Uploadr a year or two ago, I found that I didn't care for it and started using the web based upload tool, which as HB said up-thread is riddled with errors when uploading.

But with Facebook, the photos tend to get buried when more recent material is added.

froggie

Quote from: Doug KerrFlickr allows for a better repository for photos than Facebook, in my opinion. You have better control of organization and being able to search for an item later on Flickr than on Facebook.

This.  Also easier to search photos on Flickr.  And Flickr retains the original upload and does not distort size nor resolution like Facebook does.

FWIW, I haven't had the issues with the online Flickr upload tool that Doug and HB claim.

Rothman

I only use Flickr to post pictures on here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wphiii

Something I noticed happening that swayed me to finally start using Flickr was that the direct url to any photo hosted on Facebook would arbitrarily change every few months or so. This might not matter for just trying to publicly share whole albums at a time, but it resulted in broken links galore for things like using photos in external blogs, or my photos thread on this forum, for instance. Now I still essentially "cross-post" everything I upload to both Facebook and Flickr, but that's just because the vast majority of family and friends are only on Facebook and aren't going to be bothered to check up on my Flickr account.

I use Flickr's free service only and it suits me just fine for simple hosting/linking/sharing. Like another poster mentioned, I have also noticed superior upload quality to Facebook as well. Maybe you could just downgrade your Flickr service if you don't want to have to pay for hosting?

roadman65

One bad thing about Flickr is that you cannot rearrange photos.  The albums are listed in order of when it was uploaded, so the top is the most recent where your first created album is way at the bottom.  However, you can arrange the order of the photos within the album though, but mostly its all by recent ones first.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

QuoteOne bad thing about Flickr is that you cannot rearrange photos.  The albums are listed in order of when it was uploaded, so the top is the most recent where your first created album is way at the bottom.

Not entirely true.  You can rearrange album order under the 'Organize' menu on the 'You' dropdown.  I just rearranged a couple of my albums and it works fine.

Max Rockatansky

Speaking of Facebook anyone else notice that they display your panoramas as "3D" pictures now?   Literally it just shows a section of the pano and you have use the mouse to see around.  Totally missing the point of a panoramic IMO.

slorydn1

I don't take anywhere near the amount of pictures most of you do, and most that I do take suck and aren't worth sharing, TBH. The few that I do want to share I upload to Photobucket and then link them here (or any of the sites I am active on). The rest are stored locally on my computer or phone.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.