News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most Crash Prone Highway In Your State/Province?

Started by ColossalBlocks, December 11, 2016, 05:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

What is the most, or one of the most crash prone highways in your state?

It can range from county roads, spurs, forest routes, anything pretty much.

I'll start, MO Route 21 in between De Soto, Missouri, and Hillsboro, Missouri. Before the shoulders were added it was the sight of numerous fatal traffic accidents, And has been dubbed "Blood Alley". Also it has deer, lots of deer.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Could you look it up for us? I'm not supposed to be driving while posting to the forum.

Max Rockatansky

Statistics already exist on this already.  The information is pretty easy to cross reference with a couple looks on a search engine.  Wouldn't this be more fun if this was a subject thread about users think is the most dangerous roadway in their state?  The most crash prone might not be the most dangerous by design.  I've often found people more careful on a roadway that itself is a major hazard. 

jeffandnicole

Of course, the most crash prone highway would need to be statisticalized (No doubt a rejected word in Words with Friends right there). In NJ for example, US 130 almost always wins the award for having the most pedestrian deaths of any road in the state.  Then again, US 130 is also among the longest non-limited access highway in the state, with a ton of areas where pedestrians will be crossing the road, legally and not.

That said, this news story shows that random stretches of US 130 in NJ do have a very high rate of accidents.  Even then, the story doesn't really break it down to the number of crashes per 100,000 vehicles, or per mile.   That said, per the story, a section of Route 22 in the state is the worst for accidents.  http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/10/the_10_stretches_of_nj_highways_on_which_youre_mos.html

sparker

In the Bay Area, it would likely be CA 37, due to its 2-lane section (albeit with center divider) combined with high speeds and impatient commuters.  Another perennial contender is CA 17 between Scotts Valley & Los Gatos -- winding 4-lane expressway that, like CA 37 to the north, hosts hordes of speeding drivers and frustrated commuters.  3rd on the dishonor roll:  CA 152 between US 101 and CA 156 -- 2 lanes of truck-dominated traffic which has needed replacing since the '70's! 

Moving south, CA 138 between Palmdale (CA 14) and Cajon Pass (I-15) sees a mixture of commercial traffic and high speeds due to its position as a bypass of the L.A. basin;  up until the '90's it was slated for freeway upgrade as the "Metropolitan Bypass", but that didn't happen -- instead a series of widenings and channelization at major intersections was done over the last couple of decades -- but it's still something of a harrowing route, ducking in & out of several small towns along the way (not to mention the recent spate of serious wildfires along the segment near Cajon Pass).  It's widely considered to be one of the most dangerous state highways in Southern California.

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: sparker on December 12, 2016, 05:16:11 AM

Moving south, CA 138 between Palmdale (CA 14) and Cajon Pass (I-15) sees a mixture of commercial traffic and high speeds due to its position as a bypass of the L.A. basin (up until the '90's it was slated for freeway upgrade as the "Metropolitan Bypass", but that didn't happen -- instead a series of widenings and channelization at major intersections was done over the last couple of decades -- but it's still something of a harrowing route, ducking in & out of several small towns along the way (not to mention the recent spate of serious wildfires along the segment near Cajon Pass).  It's widely considered to be one of the most dangerous state highways in Southern California.

I've been down in the area in between Cajon and Palmdale, most of the traffic was impatient truck drivers when i was there.
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2016, 09:53:31 PM
Of course, the most crash prone highway would need to be statisticalized (No doubt a rejected word in Words with Friends right there). In NJ for example, US 130 almost always wins the award for having the most pedestrian deaths of any road in the state.  Then again, US 130 is also among the longest non-limited access highway in the state, with a ton of areas where pedestrians will be crossing the road, legally and not.

That said, this news story shows that random stretches of US 130 in NJ do have a very high rate of accidents.  Even then, the story doesn't really break it down to the number of crashes per 100,000 vehicles, or per mile.   That said, per the story, a section of Route 22 in the state is the worst for accidents.  http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/10/the_10_stretches_of_nj_highways_on_which_youre_mos.html

Most of the drivers that came from New Jersey that i seen, were like "Massholes", or bad drivers.
Quote from: formulanone on December 11, 2016, 08:15:18 PM
Could you look it up for us? I'm not supposed to be driving while posting to the forum.
Uhh...
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

PHLBOS

For PA, US 1 along the Roosevelt Blvd in Northeast Philadelphia.  12-lane (dual carriageway) boulevard w/multiple at-grade intersections/crossings; what could possibly go wrong?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

epzik8

Maryland Route 404, which is a major east-west highway that serves as a dividing line for Maryland's Eastern Shore; people take it to the Delaware beaches and toward Ocean City, Maryland. It's a two-way trafficway with headlight use required. The 404 is notorious for deadly crashes over the years. That's one reason they're expanding the whole thing to a divided highway.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Leew6953

Well, the deadliest highway in the nation is in my state, Georgia, and its Interstate 285...

sparker

It's come to my attention that up here in northern CA, one particular stretch of highway has recently started to give CA 37, the longstanding "king of crashes", a run for its money.  That would be the section of CA 25 between Hollister and US 101 south of Gilroy.  The growth of Hollister as an outlying bedroom community has jammed the nominally 2-lane highway, enhanced in sections with passing lanes and a central K-rail, but the amount of accidents has exponentially increased since the mid-90's.  A good friend commutes M-F both ways between his job in Morgan Hill and home in Hollister, and has stated that every couple of days one or another section of K-rail has either been forcibly shifted or shows indication of automotive paint scraping.  Interestingly, that sections straddles the line between two Caltrans districts (#4 &#5); any planning for multi-laning is well off into the future.  It's likely that the districts are waiting until plans for CA 152 east of Gilroy, which may involve the northern segment of this CA 25 section, are finalized before deciding what to do about the rest of 25; the bottleneck will probably continue into at least the 2020's.

jp the roadgeek

Two roads come to my mind in CT: I-95 pretty much anywhere south and west of New London, and the stretch of road known as "Suicide 6" between Bolton Notch and Columbia that exists because of militant NIMBYism that stopped I-84/I-384
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Inyomono395

US 395 between I 15 and CA 14. A 2 lane Highway with a combination of recreational and commercial traffic mixed in with idiots passing on double solid lines is a recipe for disaster.

sparker

Quote from: Inyomono395 on February 27, 2017, 09:15:16 PM
US 395 between I 15 and CA 14. A 2 lane Highway with a combination of recreational and commercial traffic mixed in with idiots passing on double solid lines is a recipe for disaster.

Maybe not the absolute worst in the aggregate, but US 395, especially between Adelanto and CA 58, is one of the all-time most treacherous routes for drivers attempting to pass on blind hills -- fortunately, some of these have been ameliorated with passing lanes.  This segment of 395 seems to have become, along with CA 58 west of the Kramer Corners junction, the favored truck bypass of LA metro for traffic from the south & east heading for Northern CA (and vice-versa).  And as such, the (mostly) 2-lane facility is often overwhelmed, with traffic strung out for miles behind one or more slower-moving vehicles.  A classic "fail", with little near-term hope of improvement.   

jemacedo9

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 13, 2016, 10:01:19 AM
For PA, US 1 along the Roosevelt Blvd in Northeast Philadelphia.  12-lane (dual carriageway) boulevard w/multiple at-grade intersections/crossings; what could possibly go wrong?

The nickname "Surekill Expressway" for I-76 might be a favorite...but I have to agree with the Roosevelt Blvd.  Driving successfully the length of that road, especially if you need to make a turn off of it...is a badge of honor.  Need to make a left, but in the outer lanes?  Look for the crossover!  How fast can your car go from 0 to 60 and then back to 0?  That'll be tested - several times. 

Max Rockatansky

For Florida (just to do something different) I would say the most dangerous road by design would be US 1 in the Florida Keys.  That route is almost all two-lane highway with slow traffic which leads to some risky passing.  There is even a kill counter as you leave Key West from Stock Island heading back northbound.  Probably based off of sheer total wrecks and fatalities I would imagine it would be by far I-95 with I-4 coming in there pretty high also.

dvferyance

WI-29 many crashes due to way too many at grade intersection for such a busy highway. It's the main highway between Green Bay and the Twin Cities.

Big John

Quote from: dvferyance on March 01, 2017, 12:16:22 PM
WI-29 many crashes due to way too many at grade intersection for such a busy highway. It's the main highway between Green Bay and the Twin Cities.
It was called Bloody 29 before it was converted to an expressway, so it was worse.

Bickendan

In Oregon, I believe I-5 through the Terwilliger Curves got the honor.
PBOT (the Portland Bureau of Transportation) just 'overrode' ODOT and lowered SE Division St's speed limit from 35 to 30 between 82nd Ave (OR 213) and 176th Ave on account of the high number of pedestrian vs automobile collisions and installed a speed camera (ugh) at 156th Ave... and this stretch of Division used to be 40 about 10 years ago.
People are still driving 40-45.

BakoCondors

CA 46 between Paso Robles and Famoso had a horrible rep for gnarly head-on crashes, often caused by impatient drivers trying to pass multiple vehicles. It was referred to as "Blood Alley" by the media. CA 46, and it's predecessor US 466, is the preferred route for big rigs going from the Central Coast to the Central Valley and vice versa as well as Valley folks daytripping to the coast. It's in the process of being upgraded from two-lane road to 4-lane expressway.

Coasties don't come here unless they're forced to.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: BakoCondors on March 10, 2017, 09:46:36 PM
CA 46 between Paso Robles and Famoso had a horrible rep for gnarly head-on crashes, often caused by impatient drivers trying to pass multiple vehicles. It was referred to as "Blood Alley" by the media. CA 46, and it's predecessor US 466, is the preferred route for big rigs going from the Central Coast to the Central Valley and vice versa as well as Valley folks daytripping to the coast. It's in the process of being upgraded from two-lane road to 4-lane expressway.

Coasties don't come here unless they're forced to.

Which ironic because 58 gets the really bad reputation west of Bakersfield that it really doesn't deserve.  I would gladly take 58 or even 198 any day of the week over 46.  I'd rather the drive take a couple minutes longer than having to deal with a crap load of truckers and suburbanites who can't drive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.