News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Dead end cities

Started by empirestate, December 18, 2016, 02:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

No, this isn't another thread about the economic decline of urban areas. ;-)

From NY 45, the motorist bound for the village of New Square is directed to turn onto Washington Ave. But immediately upon turning, one finds this No Outlet sign. Indeed, Washington Ave. is the only road leading in and out of the village (Google shows two more side streets intersecting NY 45 just to the north, but these are only partially or unofficially opened, providing informal access at best). Like any village in NYS, New Square is a fully incorporated municipality–it happens also to be a Hasidic community, with the interesting result that at least a couple of street signs can be found in Yiddish.

So I'm curious, where else is there a full-fledged municipality that has only one route in or out, such that somebody following signs to it would encounter either No Outlet or Dead End signage? For brevity's sake, exclude any examples where the community is isolated due to obvious geographic constraints, such as being located on a peninsula or island, unless there's something particularly notable about the signage at its entrance (for example: "Welcome to Anytown" and "Dead End" mounted on the same sign or assembly).

And again, actual municipalities only–no unincorporated residential areas, gated communities, HOAs, that kind of thing, unless they're legitimately incorporated governmental entities. Even with the geographic exclusion, I'm guessing there are more of these than I think there are, especially since some states do incorporate practically every little isolated subdivision that asks to. :D

TR69

Quote from: empirestate on December 18, 2016, 02:15:43 PM

So I'm curious, where else is there a full-fledged municipality that has only one route in or out, such that somebody following signs to it would encounter either No Outlet or Dead End signage? For brevity's sake, exclude any examples where the community is isolated due to obvious geographic constraints, such as being located on a peninsula or island, unless there's something particularly notable about the signage at its entrance (for example: "Welcome to Anytown" and "Dead End" mounted on the same sign or assembly).

And again, actual municipalities only–no unincorporated residential areas, gated communities, HOAs, that kind of thing, unless they're legitimately incorporated governmental entities. Even with the geographic exclusion, I'm guessing there are more of these than I think there are, especially since some states do incorporate practically every little isolated subdivision that asks to. :D

Kentucky is one of those states that incorporates practically every little isolated subdivision that asks to. I think the best example of what you're asking for is the 6th class City of Sycamore, Kentucky. If you look at this view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2454865,-85.561837,3a,75y,287.89h,81.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_P5slRd06NqsOBE6H73bVw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

to your right you'll see the No Outlet sign, and if you look to the left you'll see the City of Sycamore sign. The "city" is pretty much just an apartment complex, and a few other multi-family dwellings.

Sycamore, KY has one entry/exit: Sycamore Drive.

formulanone

txstateends

Port Mansfield, TX has just 1 highway in/out, TX 186.  For now (until a second bridge ever gets built?), the area of South Padre Island has just one way in/out, TX 100 to Port Isabel, followed by PR 100 across the Queen Isabella Causeway.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

hotdogPi

QuoteFor brevity's sake, exclude any examples where the community is isolated due to obvious geographic constraints, such as being located on a peninsula or island

Quote from: formulanone on December 19, 2016, 04:11:10 AM
Key West, Florida.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

Montague, California with CA 3 as it ends at the eastern city limit.  Granted the road continues past where Caltrans maintenance stops:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7248667,-122.51572,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_KdWrwvNhhiSpB3GkALJuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Rothman

Makes me wonder about KY 306 as the only road into Wheelwright, KY or if KY 466 into Weeksbury, KY would count.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Quote from: formulanone on December 19, 2016, 04:11:10 AM
Key West, Florida.

Quote from: txstateends on December 19, 2016, 07:18:40 AM
Port Mansfield, TX has just 1 highway in/out, TX 186.  For now (until a second bridge ever gets built?), the area of South Padre Island has just one way in/out, TX 100 to Port Isabel, followed by PR 100 across the Queen Isabella Causeway.

Key West and SPI are definitely geographic exclusions; Port Mansfield is interesting since it's on the mainland but appears pretty well hemmed in by the lagoon. Is there a final turn-off from TC 186 after which there's a No Outlet sign posted?

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2016, 07:45:15 AM
Montague, California with CA 3 as it ends at the eastern city limit.  Granted the road continues past where Caltrans maintenance stops:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7248667,-122.51572,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_KdWrwvNhhiSpB3GkALJuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

And there are three other main roads out of the the city; I'm not seeing how this is a dead end at all.

Quote from: Rothman on December 19, 2016, 09:11:31 AM
Makes me wonder about KY 306 as the only road into Wheelwright, KY or if KY 466 into Weeksbury, KY would count.

I think so; they both continue past the municipality, but into a closed system with no further outlet. It would be better if those highways were marked at the turn-off with No Outlet signs.

On the other hand, I'm imagining a case where the highway continues for an extended distance before ending, perhaps even with more cities strung along its route, and I'm not sure if that's in the spirit of what I'm looking for. But let's see what arises.

coatimundi

Montague isn't Incorporated. California is somewhat stingy with incorporations, particularly up north.

There are a lot of instances in Colorado where you a road into a town and the road continues as a jeep trail into the mountains. Telluride and Marble are two. It seems like it's rare to not have either a river or bay or other major geographic obstacle.

There are some towns on the border in Texas that come very close. In spite of lacking incorporation, Candelaria at least should be noted for its sheer isolation. The road technically continues past the town down the river, but there's nothing there. Dell City (Incorporated) is the same way.

There's also Woodloch, Texas. Incorporated and the roads go no where, but there are two roads and they loop together.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on December 19, 2016, 10:01:45 AM

Montague isn't Incorporated. California is somewhat stingy with incorporations, particularly up north.

Actually it is, 1909 I believe:

http://www.ci.montague.ca.us/

Isn't Ferndale up in Humboldt also a city?  If remember right 211 ended at Ocean Avenue in downtown.

[/quote]

The OP was vague about what his definition of a "route" is, wasn't like he said "road."  Basically I see route as a posted and numbered highway, so anything like a County , Farm-to-Market, State, or US routes would count.

Mapmikey

Montreat NC, at the north end of NC 9 should qualify with the OP criteria.  Couldn't find any 'No Outlet' or "Dead End" signs though...

empirestate

There are a lot of instances in Colorado where you a road into a town and the road continues as a jeep trail into the mountains. Telluride and Marble are two. It seems like it's rare to not have either a river or bay or other major geographic obstacle.

Yeah, I'm re-thinking whether cases like these (as well as the two Kentucky ones) count as geographic constraints. Telluride was the first place I thought of when posting this, but I kind of purposely left it undecided.

QuoteThere are some towns on the border in Texas that come very close. In spite of lacking incorporation, Candelaria at least should be noted for its sheer isolation. The road technically continues past the town down the river, but there's nothing there. Dell City (Incorporated) is the same way.

I'm not seeing it with Dell City; there are roads on all four points of the compass. Am I looking at the right city?

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2016, 10:23:13 AM
The OP was vague about what his definition of a "route" is, wasn't like he said "road."  Basically I see route as a posted and numbered highway, so anything like a County , Farm-to-Market, State, or US routes would count.

Ohhh, I see the confusion. No, I just meant "route" in the simplest, generic sense, as in "the way to get to a place". So, for our purposes (a roads forum), that means just a road, open and accessible for motor travel, being the only possible way you could be directed to get to a place by driving. As such, official wayfinding signs would presumably be posted showing you this route, and this route only, to get to the place (although the actual presence of such signs isn't an absolute requirement to qualify).

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 19, 2016, 10:33:35 AM
Montreat NC, at the north end of NC 9 should qualify with the OP criteria.  Couldn't find any 'No Outlet' or "Dead End" signs though...

Yes, again depending on where we land on the question of whether mountainous terrain constitutes an obvious geographic constraint. And again, the actual presence of No Outlet or Dead End signs isn't an absolute requirement (unless it is a case of such geographic constraint). But I would give extra credit to an example showing a true Dead End–i.e., a single road with nothing branching from it and no way out on the other side–actually posted on the approach to a municipality!

jeffandnicole

Shrewsbury Township, NJ fits this bill (there's also Shrewsbury, NJ, literally across the street, which is not the same town).  The only entrance is off of County Route 13.  https://goo.gl/maps/uJiFUa8BVJP2

Tavistock, NJ, population 5, total size 1/4 of a square mile, doesn't even have a road leading into its town.  It appears the only accessed portion of the town (which is mostly a golf course) is via parking lots.  The NJ Turnpike and 295 actually go thru a very small portion of the town, but have no exits.  Google Maps shows a piece of a local road cutting thru the town; Wikipedia says the only road is the NJ Turnpike (295 would cut thru it too though). 

Brandon

Dune Acres, Indiana.  There's one way in, and it is controlled by a guard shack.  http://www.duneacres.org/
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

paulthemapguy

Geographic constraints are pretty much the only thing preventing multiple roads from reaching a town.  And your own example you provide has two points of ingress.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

empirestate

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 19, 2016, 11:38:35 AM

Geographic constraints are pretty much the only thing preventing multiple roads from reaching a town.  And your own example you provide has two points of ingress.

What's the second one? The only other points I see are the unopened ones.

You're right about the "pretty much", which is of course why I was interested in this. I'm curious about those few examples that are the exception to the "pretty much". I don't usually post queries on things that have an extensive list of potential examples (although sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised).

But my example is one where geography isn't a deterrent for connecting the village in multiple places; they could easily open more points of access. And of course, as I mentioned, they're just a bit of pavement and the removal of some barriers away from doing just that.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: empirestate on December 19, 2016, 12:53:01 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 19, 2016, 11:38:35 AM

What's the second one? The only other points I see are the unopened ones.

You're right about the "pretty much", which is of course why I was interested in this. I'm curious about those few examples that are the exception to the "pretty much". I don't usually post queries on things that have an extensive list of potential examples (although sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised).

iPhone

In my example, it appears that a painted wooden fence and curbing is the only thing separating it from another access point.  Or someone's yard.  It looks like people can easily walk from their house the to the house behind them.  But to drive to their neighbors house would be a 2+ mile journey! https://goo.gl/maps/sis6pNt8FHP2

There were a few other examples I found in NJ that were limited to just 2 entry/exit points, often not the same road, and not limited due to terrain (which, with the oceans and bays, would add upteen numerous examples to this thread).

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on December 19, 2016, 11:00:30 AM

Yeah, I'm re-thinking whether cases like these (as well as the two Kentucky ones) count as geographic constraints. Telluride was the first place I thought of when posting this, but I kind of purposely left it undecided.
[/quote]

Keep in mind Google Maps is totally wrong about KY 466 somehow being connected to a mountain trail/two-track loop (through Able Fork). The whole switchback line on here doesn't really exist:

https://goo.gl/maps/CN8GSbmVNcN2
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: TR69 on December 18, 2016, 10:27:23 PM

Kentucky is one of those states that incorporates practically every little isolated subdivision that asks to. I think the best example of what you're asking for is the 6th class City of Sycamore, Kentucky. If you look at this view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2454865,-85.561837,3a,75y,287.89h,81.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_P5slRd06NqsOBE6H73bVw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

to your right you'll see the No Outlet sign, and if you look to the left you'll see the City of Sycamore sign. The "city" is pretty much just an apartment complex, and a few other multi-family dwellings.

In Jefferson County. I wonder if Sycamore got eaten by the Louisville-Jefferson County merger? I think some of the small subdivision/cities (basically glorified homeonwers' associations) did cease to exist administratively

I didn't realize that Weeksbury was incorporated, but Wheelwright would qualify. The state maintenance runs right up to the end of the road. There's a short county road that turns off where the state road ends, but it doesn't go very far.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Quote from: TR69 on December 18, 2016, 10:27:23 PM

In Jefferson County. I wonder if Sycamore got eaten by the Louisville-Jefferson County merger? I think some of the small subdivision/cities (basically glorified homeonwers' associations) did cease to exist administratively

I didn't realize that Weeksbury was incorporated, but Wheelwright would qualify. The state maintenance runs right up to the end of the road. There's a short county road that turns off where the state road ends, but it doesn't go very far.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on December 19, 2016, 11:00:30 AM

I've only been to Telluride one time, but I drove in from CO-145 on the west, stopped for lunch, and then drove out to the east on Tomboy Road over Imogene Pass.  So, what I mean is, the only time I've been there, I transited directly through town.

Does Kaskaskia (IL) count as a geographical exception?  It's only accessible via U Highway from Saint Mary, yet its western water boundaries are negligible.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on December 19, 2016, 04:11:20 PM
Does Kaskaskia (IL) count as a geographical exception?  It's only accessible via U Highway from Saint Mary, yet its western water boundaries are negligible.

Yes, it does indeed.  Kaskaskia is still incorporated as a village.  Granted that only 13 people live there, but it is a village and incorporated, nonetheless.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

empirestate

Quote from: Brandon on December 19, 2016, 05:02:55 PM

Yes, it does indeed.  Kaskaskia is still incorporated as a village.  Granted that only 13 people live there, but it is a village and incorporated, nonetheless.

Actually, I would say not. To count as a geographical exception, there'd need to be an obvious physical constraint from building more than one road in, and it looks like Kaskaskia could easily get a second if it needed one. Probably the low population and the presence of a state boundary are the constraints in its case.

iPhone

Brandon

Quote from: empirestate on December 19, 2016, 05:17:04 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 19, 2016, 05:02:55 PM

Actually, I would say not. To count as a geographical exception, there'd need to be an obvious physical constraint from building more than one road in, and it looks like Kaskaskia could easily get a second if it needed one. Probably the low population and the presence of a state boundary are the constraints in its case.

You contradict your own criteria.

For brevity's sake, exclude any examples where the community is isolated due to obvious geographic constraints, such as being located on a peninsula or island, unless there's something particularly notable about the signage at its entrance (for example: "Welcome to Anytown" and "Dead End" mounted on the same sign or assembly).

Kaskaskia does indeed count as another bridge could be built easily, and there is a land connection on the southeastern end where a road could be placed.

CrystalWalrein

Brigantine, NJ. NJ 87-cum-CR 638 is the only way in.

Cape May Point, NJ is debatable since you have CR 606 being the only road cutting across the extreme south of Cape May, and the borough has two ways in from that road: CR 629 and CR 651. EDIT Seagrove Avenue connects to both CR 606 and CR 607 as well and ends at CR 629.

Money Island and Fortescue, both in Downe Township, both require CR 637 to get there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.