News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida SunPass toll signage not purple?

Started by Dustin DeWinn, January 08, 2017, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

machias

Why do we need completely purple signs to begin with? Back in the 50s they deemed that white on green was the most legible color at high speeds, now we're going to start dinking around with colors because motorists are too distracted to figure out what lane they're suppose to be in without a big picture?

I can see a regular guide sign with a purple banner on it or something, but making the entire sign purple is more lowest common denominator catering actions.

vdeane

In any case, there's no need for purple to be so restricted.  How common are transponder-only roads anyways?  The only ones I can think of are HOT lanes, a few exits on the PTC, and the former Wabash Bridge.  Just make purple for all all-electronic tolling situations and use white "[logo] transponders only" panels similar to the "passenger cars only" messages for NY parkways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: upstatenyroads on March 16, 2017, 05:53:55 PM
Why do we need completely purple signs to begin with? Back in the 50s they deemed that white on green was the most legible color at high speeds, now we're going to start dinking around with colors because motorists are too distracted to figure out what lane they're suppose to be in without a big picture?

I can see a regular guide sign with a purple banner on it or something, but making the entire sign purple is more lowest common denominator catering actions.

Plus, the MUTCD doesn't set any minimum retroreflectivity values for purple sheeting, and as far as I know no studies have ever been performed (unlike blue and brown, which the minimum retroreflectivity values will probably be added to the next MUTCD).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.