News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways That Run Over Burial Grounds

Started by ColossalBlocks, January 15, 2017, 04:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchafe1978

I-94 in Milwaukee doesn't run over burial grounds, but splits one in two. It splits the Wood National Cemetery in two. As a result, it makes for a tight ROW and makes the upcoming job of reconstructing I-94 a difficult and controversial one.

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/national_cemeteries/wisconsin/Wood_National_Cemetery.html

http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/se/94stadiumint/default.aspx

lordsutch

Quote from: inkyatari on January 27, 2017, 09:43:48 AM
I-55 through State Park Place / Fairmont City IL has to be, what with the interstate being literally at the foot of the Cahokia Mounds

I-16 southeast of Macon runs between various burial mounds at the Ocmulgee National Monument; one of the railroad lines in the vicinity was actually built straight through a mound, presumably out of spite since it could have been easily avoided.

MikeCL

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 02, 2017, 01:22:39 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on January 31, 2017, 09:42:42 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 15, 2017, 04:22:03 PM
It's not in my state, but the Interboro Parkway in New York was pushed through three cemeteries, two of which needed grave removals to make room. One of them (Cypress Hills) is where Jackie Robinson and Mae West are buried.

Wow the only time I heard "Interboro" parkway was from my GPS and Wiki ....

That's its original (and real!) name.

Yeah I got to learn the layout good I got rear ended on the Queens end just before the fork for GCP and Van Wyck this idiot could not make up his mind what lane he wanted to get in so he started moving left I got in the right lane.. well after he made contact with my whole left side of the car and kept on going I stopped causing the lady behind me to rear end me.. took almost 1 hr and 20 min for the cops to come.. and thats after calling 4 times.. by that time we moved to the shoulder on the ramp for the Van Wyck.\

I would hate to see if my GF was in labor or something..

sharkyfour

I've always wondered if any graves were disturbed when the Connecticut Turnpike/I-395 was built through the Maplewood Cemetery in Norwich, CT.  The highway goes right through the center of the cemetery.  There's even an overpass for the cemetery access road over the highway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5055761,-72.1137151,16z

In a somewhat eerie coincidence, for the last 10+ years various people have tried to construct a hotel on property bought from the cemetery right next to I395.  The project will go for a few years before it goes bankrupt and dies, just to be resurrected a few years later.  At this point, the whole shell of a building is there, and work recently resumed on the interior.  But who would want to stay at a hotel built on a cemetery??

TheStretchofFreeways

There is a cemetery on the median on U.S. 59
Coordinates, cant put a GMaps link. 30.299035,-95.115040

SM-N915T

cpzilliacus

The New Jersey Turnpike Authority had to fund the disinterment and removal of over 4,000 bodies from Hudson County Burial Grounds as part of the Exit 15X project on the Turnpike's East Spur at Secaucus Junction. The bodies were re-interred at a different cemetery  in New Jersey (see Wikipedia article hyperlinked above for details).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

english si

I believe that the Stonehenge Tunnel will run through one - not over, but through. The current road predates anything in the area, so is fine, though some of the burial mounds and stuff get close to the wider roadbed that now exists compared to 5000 years ago.

The railways often do this - a couple of years ago Crossrail ran unbeknownst into unmarked plague pit (and so the archeologists came flooding along for a few weeks to catalogue the site before the bodies were reinterred somewhere else) and the approach to King Cross meant moving a whole graveyard (the story was, even at the time, that the railway company took better care of the dead bodies they displaced than the living people in the slums they took out).

Rick Powell

The original construction of I-290 in Forest Park, IL required the relocation of more than 2,000 individual grave sites. The freeway is still surrounded on both sides by cemeteries between 1st and Des Plaines Avenues. Incidentally, nearby OHare Airport needed to relocate over 1,000 grave sites for a once-controversial runway expansion a few years ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.