News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

US 200?

Started by dvferyance, January 21, 2017, 10:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Could the chain of state highways from Minnesota to Montana qualify for an upgrade to a US highway? It would be longer than some existing US highways and you could retain the same number. Why not? If there can be a US 400 you could also have a US 200.

TheHighwayMan3561

There's no reason why they couldn't do this, but I'll ask what purpose would it serve in terms of aiding motorists? I think it would work better being done in 1947 vs. 2017. The common motorist pretty much knows US routes are basically a secondary system at this point anyway. US 200 wouldn't really improve anything over the current chain of 200s.

In fact, the "chain" wasn't even complete until 1969 at the earliest, so I don't think making this US 200 was ever a consideration.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Quillz

As noted, it could happen, but I doubt it ever will. And the US highway network has enough terrible numbering violations as it is, the last thing it needs is another one.

Scott5114

A similar situation was the campaign for US-789, which ended with Wyoming just having an oddly-numbered state highway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MNHighwayMan

If we're going to make 200 a US highway it'd be better as a US-X02 route instead.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 22, 2017, 07:48:54 AM
If we're going to make 200 a US highway it'd be better as a US-X02 route instead.

Or US 2 west into US 0.

epzik8

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 22, 2017, 10:31:48 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 22, 2017, 07:48:54 AM

Or US 2 west into US 0.
Make this happen!
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

dvferyance

Quote from: Quillz on January 22, 2017, 12:13:02 AM
As noted, it could happen, but I doubt it ever will. And the US highway network has enough terrible numbering violations as it is, the last thing it needs is another one.
Who cares about a numbering violation? I just think the number itself is cool. I believe a US 200 shield already exist in Montana or at least one used to.

sparker

At the risk of verging on Fictional, I always thought the multi-state 200 would make a fine relocated US 8, with the current 8 being redesignated as either an eastern extension of US 212 or as a x02. 

The Ghostbuster

Someone once suggested (fictionally) making the corridor US 402. I think that number would make a lot more sense than US 200. In any event, I doubt the multi-state SR 200 will become part of the US Highway System. If it was, it would have already happened.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 24, 2017, 05:50:05 PM
Someone once suggested (fictionally) making the corridor US 402. I think that number would make a lot more sense than US 200. In any event, I doubt the multi-state SR 200 will become part of the US Highway System. If it was, it would have already happened.
Is there really a big difference between a US highway and a state highway? Aren't they both maintained at the state level?

Quillz

Quote from: dvferyance on January 25, 2017, 09:24:36 AM
Is there really a big difference between a US highway and a state highway? Aren't they both maintained at the state level?
Nowadays, there is no difference.

Sykotyk

Quote from: dvferyance on January 25, 2017, 09:24:36 AM

For some states, US routes have much better treatment of design. In Ohio, if you were to cross part of the state without taking an interstate, you'd probably be much more inclined to take US 22 to US 250 to Canton than you are OH43, despite it being shorter. The small town after small town. Several places you have to turn inside those towns. The lights. The steep grades and curves on some of the hills.

There's exceptions, some state routes are monumentally better, and are usually signed in such a way that you know it's an important road. OH 2, 5, 7, 8, 11, etc either have freeway segments or are entirely freeway.

But, a road labeled "OH 214" probably wouldn't instill the confidence that it's a fast way to get from place to place unless it's the only way.

In PA, US 6, 322, 422, 22, 30 119, 219, 220 and to an extent 19 are much better roads than an counterpart. Some don't even have a reliable alternate to them (non-interstate/turnpike). US 6 may have a shortcut on PA 59, but it's useless for commercial traffic due to the low bridge (why they can't cut it out lower, I'm not sure). And again, those roads all have some type of freeway segment (US 19 withstanding which was wholly useless with I-79 paralleling it).

US 22 is freeway from WV, follows I-376, then has an expressway portion to Ebensburg and then Freeway to Altoona. It's 2-lane stretch suffers some, as most would probably take the added mileage of I-99 to US322 to stay mostly on four lanes. Eastern part is basically supplanted by I-78 and still has a freeway segment along what was to be I-78 across the north of Allentown. US 6 has a few freeway segments near Youngsville/Warren, and that weird parkway/partial by Meadville. 322 has the major freeway stretch west and east of State College, the gap, and then a Freeway down to Harrisburg sans the Duncannon fiasco. And the poorman's freeway east of Hershey.
422 has freeway segments around New Castle, Butler, Kittaning, Indiana, and the phantom co-op with US22's Freeway from Ebensburg to Altoona. And some more stretches from Reading to Philadelphia along the Blue Route.
US 30 has segments from York to Lancaster, the 'gap' through Gap, and 202 and 222 both have some freeway segments.

adventurernumber1

Honestly, I would love to see this multi-state state highway become some sort of US Highway - it seems like it would be deserving of such a designation. I wouldn't get up in arms if this was called US Highway 200, as I have come to accept US Highway 400, despite its strange numbering oddity. If it were to be numbered anything that wasn't conventional, 200 would be the number, since it is the number of the multi-state state highway, and it is similar to 400. However, I would agree with others in this thread that it would probably be good to designate it as something such as a US x02. That would probably be our best option.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

RobbieL2415

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 21, 2017, 10:30:05 PM
There's no reason why they couldn't do this, but I'll ask what purpose would it serve in terms of aiding motorists? I think it would work better being done in 1947 vs. 2017. The common motorist pretty much knows US routes are basically a secondary system at this point anyway. US 200 wouldn't really improve anything over the current chain of 200s.

In fact, the "chain" wasn't even complete until 1969 at the earliest, so I don't think making this US 200 was ever a consideration.
Except for niche corridors that have no interstate bypassing them for various reasons.  Like parts of USs 6, 7, 13, 222 as examples.  US Numbered Highways have generally been relegated to serving as through routes for secondary corridors.

Henry

I'd simply make it US 102; however, I don't see any problems with MSR 200 (or any other MSRs, for that matter).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

GaryV

silverback1065

where would us 0 go if it were commissioned?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 18, 2017, 06:46:40 PM

Probably over US 2 west.  It would make sense since it is a cross country route which the X0 routes were originally implied to be. 

Roadgeekteen

No, it would be a numbering violation.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 18, 2017, 07:17:12 PM

Probably over US 2 west.  It would make sense since it is a cross country route which the X0 routes were originally implied to be.

Remember...X0 = No Zero! No zero U.S. Route...no more U.S. Route numbering violations; there's enough as it is. (U.S. 400, I'm talking about you! :ded:)
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 22, 2017, 06:25:32 PM

Remember...X0 = No Zero! No zero U.S. Route...no more U.S. Route numbering violations; there's enough as it is. (U.S. 400, I'm talking about you! :ded:)

As opposed to 101 supposedly being counted as a two digit number with "10" being the first digit?   

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 22, 2017, 08:04:19 PM

As opposed to 101 supposedly being counted as a two digit number with "10" being the first digit?

Being opposed to...what?  :confused:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 22, 2017, 08:17:08 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 22, 2017, 08:04:19 PM

Being opposed to...what?  :confused:

How would 0 be a violation if it was put in place correctly in the grid over western U.S. 2 when something like US 101 already exists on the logic that "10" is the first digit?

Roadgeekteen

I think this belongs in fictional highways.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.