News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Clinching Cities

Started by NWI_Irish96, January 31, 2017, 01:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Has anybody ever clinched an entire city of any considerable size?  I have a 30 minute lunch period at work, and in an effort to improve health and reduce spending, I am no longer eating out for lunch.  In place I have decided to use my lunch breaks to attempt to clinch every publicly driveable street and highway of the city in which I work (Jeffersonville, 2010 pop: 44,953).  Some parts of the city are too far away to get to and from within 30 minutes, so I'll have to finish it off on evenings/weekends, but I expect to get a good 65-75% of the city done during lunch periods.  Just to be certain I clinch 100%, I am only counting what I have covered since I started keeping track, no matter how certain I am that I covered it previously.

Anybody done this for a big city?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kalvado

I would suspect that drivers of google camera cars did that.  And probably some taxi/Uber drivers went through every street in their city.

Maybe not a best example, but Manhattan has 508 miles of streets. Something like 50-100 hours of driving... If you have nothing else to do.

Max Rockatansky

I've done every street in Key West on foot during morning runs.  The city is 5.9 square miles and maybe 24,000 people now?  It wasn't like there was very much else to do (when you live there or are stationed there it can boring quick) other than to see pretty much anything and everything that city had down every street.  Probably the biggest city I came sort of close to was Orlando but I definitely haven't been down every street.  Orlando is kind of small with only 102.4 square miles of land, so it was fairly easy to drive or run from one end of the city to the other on a bunch of surface routes provided traffic wasn't crazy busy.

adventurernumber1

I have nowhere near clinched my hometown of Dalton, Georgia. If I had the health to drive and had a license, that would probably be an easy thing to do, over time. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Although I am very familiar with clinching roads, I have never pondered clinching the road systems of entire towns and cities. It honestly sounds like a very interesting concept. Hopefully, one day, I can succeed in doing that.  :thumbsup:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on January 31, 2017, 01:22:48 PM
I would suspect that drivers of google camera cars did that.  And probably some taxi/Uber drivers went through every street in their city.

I actually doubt both of those.  You can almost always find at least one block with no GSV in a town of any substantial size; plus, street views are usually from more than one time period, meaning it might not be the same driver.

On the second one, all it takes is for one block in town to have people who've never hired a taxi, and that's a very high probability.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

It's possible for smaller cities, but once you reach a certain threshold it easily becomes out of reach. Once you reach a certain point it's going to drive through endless miles of residential subdivisions, which isn't really all that interesting unless you're both a roadgeek and into the local real estate market or something.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MNHighwayMan

As a former pizza delivery driver of two years, it's pretty safe to say I've clinched >85% (a conservative estimate, I reckon) of the delivery area, which was pretty much all of Des Moines' south side. For the rest of the city, not a whole lot besides the main roads, though.

frankenroad

As a teenager, I am sure I clinched my little city (about 2.5 Square Miles).  My friends and I used to play "hide & seek" with our cars on Friday and Saturday nights - you were not allowed to leave the city limits nor park on private property.   I usually lost because our family car was a bright orange station wagon (I think that was how my Dad's mid-life crisis manifested itself!).

A the time, there were exactly 100 streets - I did a research project on how they all got their names.   Since then (40+ years), they have annexed a little more land and built some additional subdivisions so there are probably about 110-115 streets now.   I should make a point of travelling all those new ones. 
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

freebrickproductions

Probably the only "town" I've clinched has been Whitfield Hill, FL, a small unincorporated community of about 8 or so houses along FL 71:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.934732,-85.1909062,3a,16y,34.85h,85.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seelnfLX6sfGZds3JUeARiA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9368161,-85.1880082,415m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0
The only street in the "town" is FL 71, though there is a small dirt path that has a street sign posted at the end of it, but it appears to be privately owned so I ain't counting it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9380383,-85.1889809,3a,18.2y,83.46h,83.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTFDYhd-vg3yE3PSlEwCtfw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

Though I could probably see about clinching Mooresville, AL sometime soon if you want an actual town that's incorporated...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

coatimundi

I've clinched Woodloch, Texas and North Crows Nest, Indiana. Almost have Southside Place, Texas, as well. Impressive, I know.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on February 04, 2017, 02:02:58 AM
I've clinched Woodloch, Texas and North Crows Nest, Indiana. Almost have Southside Place, Texas, as well. Impressive, I know.

I did a drive through Los Ybanez last year just to see the smallest incorporated city in the state:

Literally just a liquor store and just a couple loop roads that appeared to be part of farm communes at one point?  Apparently incorporating micro-cities for liquor sales is a thing in Texas.

ET21

I've clinched many small rural towns during random drives while in college and maybe 60% of my hometown

Small towns clinched in Illinois:
Woodbine, Stockton, Elizabeth, Galena, Eleroy, Malta, Creston, Hinckley.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

plain

I've clinched the very small town of Middleburg, NC (my grandmother lived there)
Newark born, Richmond bred

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on February 02, 2017, 01:11:08 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 31, 2017, 01:22:48 PM

I actually doubt both of those.  You can almost always find at least one block with no GSV in a town of any substantial size; plus, street views are usually from more than one time period, meaning it might not be the same driver.

On the second one, all it takes is for one block in town to have people who've never hired a taxi, and that's a very high probability.

Thinking about it - shouldn't emergency vehicle drivers familiarize themselves with the service areas? Before Xmas, we had a fire truck driving our otherwise 25 vehicles per day street with dressed up Santa. As far as I understand it was primarily fundraising effort - but checking out streets could easily be a second thought.

corco

I've clinched the public street network in Deer Lodge, MT - and Powell County, MT.  Got paid to do it, too.

KEVIN_224

There's still some streets in my home town (actually, city) of New Britain, CT I've never been on. The city has about 72,000 people and covers roughly 13.9 square miles. Frankly, there's also a couple of streets I wouldn't want to be on.

Bordering Plainville to the west is smaller. The municipality of Union, CT is the least populated town in the state. One can always start by entering it with I-84. It's where the interstate enters CT from MA.

slorydn1

I have a shift full of deputies this morning who can claim to have clinched our entire county. I cannot claim that myself, however.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Roadgeekteen

No interest. Way to tedious.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.