Does your love for highways help you remember numbers?

Started by texaskdog, February 14, 2017, 07:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

When I need to remember a number I remember a highway or pair of highways.

sparker

Most of my passcode/PIN numbers are based on certain highways.  That's all I'll say about that; anyone wanting my codes will need to have an "Enigma"-type machine to decode further -- heh, heh!  Oh, and I change/swap them randomly.     

texaskdog

hbelkins

Yes. After being without a personal cell phone for about 18 months, I got a new plan last year and had to be assigned a new number. I remember it by thinking of two interstates that intersect in a town where a former girlfriend of mine lives.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on February 14, 2017, 09:17:51 PM
Most of my passcode/PIN numbers are based on certain highways.  That's all I'll say about that; anyone wanting my codes will need to have an "Enigma"-type machine to decode further -- heh, heh!  Oh, and I change/swap them randomly.   

I do the same thing with all the pins and passcodes I put together for alarm systems.  Tricky thing is that I use County, Mountain, and Forest Routes to mix things up.  There is this whole theory that numbers being in the 1s and 2s are going to be far more common in a pin or passcode than higher numbers, so I guess my system has uses.

Aside from that, no it doesn't help remember numbers.  I still have issues remembering phone numbers, my own security pins, and really anything else.  What it does help me remember is; places, where things are, directions, and oddly when things happened.

_Simon

Quote from: texaskdog on February 14, 2017, 07:27:45 PM
When I need to remember a number I remember a highway or pair of highways.
Not terribly because I live in nj.. Two digit numbers may coincide with a state route but there are gaps for common numbers, like 2/02 and 8/08.  Three digit numbers here are mostly 1xx (and only about 20 of them) and all secondary roads are almost all 5xx or 6xx except for an abundance of numbers ending in 95 and 76. I've used a combination of route and exit numbers to remember things in the past, but even that is difficult because Jersey (nor nyc) doesn't have any e/w exits over 68 or any n/s over 180.

SM-G930V

adventurernumber1

QuoteDoes your love for highways help you remember numbers?

Very much so. I have OCD, so I count how many times I wash my hands while doing so until I reach the required amount of times. It is unbelieveably tiresome, boring, and long, so I use my love of highways to help me remember what number I am on, by giving semantic meaning to the numbers that I say. It goes something like this, with me saying it out loud while I scrub.
"Interstate 1 - don't know if there is a good place to put that anywhere"
"Interstate 2 - new interstate down in south Texas near McAllen and miscellaneous"
"Interstate 3 - would be a good candidate for the sections of US 101 freeway in California - not the stupid proposal from Savannah to Knoxville"
"Interstate 4 - highly suburban, traffic-clogged Florida corridor"
"Interstate 5 - border-to-border Western interstate of higher importance => (most of the ones ending in 5 or 0)"
"Interstate 6 - would be a much better number for that I-69W corridor"

and so on, going up to anywhere from 10 to 20 or more depending on how "dirty" my hands are, or when it feels "perfect" to stop.

Without this method of remembering, it would be very hard to remember what number I'd be on due to the monotony and the loss of focus due to the depression and brain fog.

It's definitely weird, but it is an excellent example.  :banghead:  :hmm:

This was originally posted at 09:57:39 PM, and originally edited at 10:00:49 PM - the pure irony of this is that according to my OCD, I did not post "perfectly" the first time, and as a result I had to "re-post" - sorry for these things I do that probably look to be eccentric and unnecessary
:ded:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

epzik8

Okay, think about this: This June, I'm primarily going to use I-95 on a trip whose purpose is for my grandmother's 95th birthday party. Also, I was born in the year 1995, or '95 for short.

My second example is that in Maryland, I-70 (in conjunction with I-68) was the first Maryland Interstate to be given a speed upgrade of 70 miles per hour.

A more local example now: Two of the Maryland highways here around Harford County are Route 22, which is the number of my current favorite NASCAR driver Joey Logano, and Route 24, the number of one of the GOATs Jeff Gordon. I think I'll also throw in Route 3, "Dale Earnhardt Pike" down in Crofton. That's not what Maryland Route 3 is actually called.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

MNHighwayMan

Actually, for me I think it happened the other way around–I've always had an easy time with numbers and the fact that roads are so thoroughly enveloped in numbers helped make them interesting to a young me (certainly there were other reasons, too).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.